Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By megazac
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I'm finally coming back to my first smartphone love (I was a day one Palm Pre owner) and I'm running into a dead end.

I purchased a new HP Pre 3 that was described as unlocked and is, in fact, locked to ATT. I'll be using it on T Mobile. I'm in the process of contacting the seller to get that rectified, but I thought I could try my luck at a few workarounds. I was one of the few who actually got a Pre 2 working on Sprint through several hours of FrankenPre surgery.

I'm working my way through Dogbert's free unlocking guide, which is great, but it looks like I need to update the Pre 3 to current webOS before I can find my unlock code. So, all I need to do is get the device to the latest version.

I entered Dev mode and bypassed activation, so I could install Preware, download the necessary app/patch, and update over wifi. Then I could go back and run the script to get my unlock code.

My problem is that I CANNOT for the life of me get webOS Quick Install to install the Novacom drivers. I've also tried the Universal Installer with no luck. I then thought I could doctor the phone to the current version, but it looks like all the links to the doctors are broken and I can't find info to any updated ones.

I know I'm getting back into webOS at the very end of the game, but I'm hoping someone can point me toward a doctor for the current version of the ATT Pre 3, or a way to get the Novacom drivers installed.

Any love for a long lost webOS junkie?
    You need to edit your hosts file. See this post: need a doctor (Note, I used the first IP in that post, which I found in another thread, and was able to download all of the doctor versions I thought I would ever need).

And if you get the dogbert thing going, report back. I had some concerns over the versions of various software, given that the guide is a few years old. I should just try it.. no harm in trying generally.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/10/2014 at 08:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Thanks. Downloading the doctor(s) now. Any idea if the process is set up for 2.2.4 or 2.2.3 with the Pre 3?
    Last edited by megazac; 11/10/2014 at 08:12 PM.
    Don't know - I can't find a reference on his page for the Pre3 webOS version. I did find several references to "If the firmware version has not been recognized, update your device to either the latest webOS 1.4.x or 2.x version." I do think it's important that it be a supported version number, so the Veer can't be meta'd to 2.2.x, it has to have 2.1.x on it. I downloaded both 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 just in case I need 2.2.3 in the future, but my current Pre3 is already unlocked.
    Here's the full list of "hosts" file entries i use:

Code:
    23.4.17.24	cdn.downloads.palm.com
    195.22.200.42	downloads.help.palm.com
    140.211.169.161	ipkg.preware.org
    Every link should work once you add that to your "hosts" file
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Thanks all. I was able to download the 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 doctors. I doctored to 2.2.4 and ran Dogbert's script again using a Windows 7 32-bit machine. Got the unlock code no problem. I had to boot it a couple times to get back to the "Enter Unlock Code" screen.

Still wasn't able to get Quick Install to work on the Windows 7 32-bit machine, but got it working on my laptop running Mac OS X Mavericks.

Now I need to look into backing up everything before January 15...
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Been looking into backing up stuff. Seems like there isn't a way to do a whole "image" backup/restore, is there? Like Android? I've got the Pre 3 initially set up with everything working. I only have one patch installed (google sync fix). I'd like to do a backup where the phone is at now, and then another one once I tweak/patch the heck out of it. That way I can come back to the start if I need to.

Is there a way to do this, or do I need to use several different methods to backup everything? Just trying to figure out backing up before the cloud bursts in January.
    Quote Originally Posted by megazac View Post
    Been looking into backing up stuff. Seems like there isn't a way to do a whole "image" backup/restore, is there? Like Android? I've got the Pre 3 initially set up with everything working. I only have one patch installed (google sync fix). I'd like to do a backup where the phone is at now, and then another one once I tweak/patch the heck out of it. That way I can come back to the start if I need to.

Is there a way to do this, or do I need to use several different methods to backup everything? Just trying to figure out backing up before the cloud bursts in January.
    There's a "recovery mode backup" that you can search for... it's like building a "MetaDoctor" out of your existing installation. Also, you can probably mount the Pre3's whole SSD as a "drive" under Ubuntu and turn that into a disk image. You can do that with the Touchpad, and i've heard that the Pre3 should be able to do the same.

That second option is something i'd have to look for, to give you a link, but i'm guessing it's done by placing the device in recovery mode but not trying to Novaterm into it like you would if you were trying to build a MetaDoctor... rather, by simply mounting it...

I've never done this, but i've seen it mentioned here a few times
    I really need to try that some time..
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I really need to try that some time..
    You should do that, and tell me how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    You need to edit your hosts file. See this post: need a doctor (Note, I used the first IP in that post, which I found in another thread, and was able to download all of the doctor versions I thought I would ever need).

And if you get the dogbert thing going, report back. I had some concerns over the versions of various software, given that the guide is a few years old. I should just try it.. no harm in trying generally.
    Similar concerns to getting my Pre3 going ( though I've been using it since forever ) I have completely erased my Pre3's account info not realizing when I hit back up on the phone it loaded the "Doctors first use" information on clean phone back to my account ( uggh) so now I'm trying to get my contacts from the outlook but the root certificate is expired. Grabber I read the thread regarding the IPK you made on expired certificates and trying load it . I must be doing something wrong to load the ipk onto the phone ( its 2.2.4) . Do I use WOQI or do I install the ipk another way??
    thanks in advance .

UPDATE--->> Think I got it.. Went to the Expired Certificates Thread you guys posted on which "DMeister" comments on "Jerry Van Hoy's" original post on the how to get the certificate reset by typing into the browser.
    Thanks again all you WebOS gurus ...I think I'm back in business
    Last edited by T4H_KiserSose; 12/07/2014 at 02:07 PM.