Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By HerrSchwarz5
  • 1 Post By anon(679606)
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  1.    #1  
    looking at the blackberry passport ...big phone ...keyboard with gestures ...big money ...any thoughts on it ...anyone had hands on it ??
    No hands on, but I've watched it since it's release. It actually looks like a cool phone and the reviews are actually really good.
    Here is one you could ask: Goodnight, Sweet Pre...

Me, I keep my Pre3 as long as it works

UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    davodego and tedthebassist like this.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'm on the same page. From the videos and reviews the Passsport seems to be a marvelous phone. But I havent hat the chance to lay hands on it yet. My wife even thought about it for me as a birthday present. But my Pre3 webOS love is just too big.

Though there are some issues I start having with my Pre3. Many emails arent displayed anymore. If I remember correctly this is some databank problem. Also, the keyboard sometimes puts in letters twice. And last, the browser is driving me nuts - though that is not a new issue.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    I'm on the same page. From the videos and reviews the Passsport seems to be a marvelous phone. But I havent hat the chance to lay hands on it yet. My wife even thought about it for me as a birthday present. But my Pre3 webOS love is just too big.

Though there are some issues I start having with my Pre3. Many emails arent displayed anymore. If I remember correctly this is some databank problem. Also, the keyboard sometimes puts in letters twice. And last, the browser is driving me nuts - though that is not a new issue.
    blackberry is interesting, but stupid ...they ran out of them when they just came out ...can't buy one unless you're packin'a fat wallet on amazon or ebay...

delete email accounts & redo them...

keyboard doubling got me to buy my 2nd pre3 which cost a bundly ...2nd one starting to have same problem which apparently has no cure ...

browser never scaled nicely like did my windows mobile phone; & that phone had aftermarket software that let me back-up the entire phone in a little compressed file (on the sd card) including the whole OS & all the data ...restored the whole thing in around 2 min with a single click...

had a fantastic aftermarket called jot where I could write on the screen & it created text...

had an aftermarket thing I forgot name of that would take incoming text messages & read them aloud for the car... great !!

I loved that phone too (motorola a3100)...

oh well, nothing is forever ...just ask obama !!
    The solution to double keypresses is to temporarily remove the keyboard bezel, then peel back the front surface of the keyboard and remove the stiff layer that's located between the while silicone layer and the face of the keyboard. It's a stiff card of clear plastic, which becomes more stiff with age and causes you to press so hard that double keys appear.

Or if you are afraid to remove the card itself, at least just peel back the front of the keyboard and put it back on. Takes 30 seconds, and the error rate will go down significantly

I was actually writing a kernel-level fix for this a year ago, i should dig that up and fix the bugs. Hopefully the key mappings are the same on both the Pre+ and the Pre3, though there are sensors too, which send their own key events
  7.    #7  
    I put it in the blackberry store cart ...I hesitated & closed the browser ...got an email with an offer to get free 2 day shipping ...I got hooked ...I will report my impressions in detail here ...I looked around the bb store first to see if it had software that works for me ...has security camera viewers I missed on pre3 ...has much of the rest & can sideload android stuff with snap app ...here goes ...only fear (& I got out my passport, the real one, & fiddled with it a little) ...it's gonna be a BIG change in many ways !! I hope the gestures on the keyboard work well & don't make me term them jestures ...I will miss the cuteness of the pre3 & veer ...oh, well, nothing is forever...
    tedthebassist likes this.
    The thing I enjoy so much about the Pre 2 & 3 is that they were small and you could pull out the keyboard when necessary.
    It looks nice, but it also looks really bulky and I'm tired of massive screens.
    The Passport looks like a solid phone otherwise and I keep hearing good things about it, just some personal preference issues for me. I'm keeping an eye out for the BB Porsche P'9983 and the new Classic line, they look smaller and pocketable.

definitely interested to hear what you've got to say about it though!
    Hey, patapoof,

I can't wait to hear how it performs. Lets see some unboxing pictures!

Sincerely,
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    I own a Blackberry Z10 and it had a leaked version of 10.3..... on it and Can say it makes a big difference. It looks and feels better. It also comes with the Amazon app store so android apps are easily installed. Also has voice assistant which is pretty handy while driving, but still limited with app integration. The HUB is a bit cumbersome but I kinda have become use to it lol. Also there are a ton of settings! I am always finding something new but this is also a pain because if I want to change something I may not want to deal with all those settings windows or even where to change it in the settings. Finally the Web Browser if fantastic, performs better than most desktop browsers. That's my quick review, hope you enjoy your passport and the keyboard. I miss my keyboard so I may pick up a q5/10 sometime.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    My mom got a q5 for her work, and BB10 is decent, i guess. I keep forgetting that swipe up minimizes the app, because there is no bar under the screen
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    I've had my BB Passport for a couple of weeks now.

It's a strange form factor initially, but actually quite usable. Definitely a phablet, rather than a phone - but very usable and rapidly becoming the device I reach for in preference to a tablet.

BBOS10 still isn't quite up there with WebOS in terms of seamless integration (no synergy plugins, but some apps. do seem to add to the "share" menu quite cleanly). It accepted all my accounts without any problems and I even managed to get all my SMS messages transferred over using an app. from Preware and a paid app. from BB World.

The Blackberry Hub is OK as an integrated messaging concept, but I'd prefer to have separate messaging and email apps with integrated notifications which can be used to launch them. I'm also not a fan of how tricky the Hub makes it to drill down into a single account or a folder within that account - it can be done, but it's not as obvious as it was on WebOS.

The touch sensitive keyboard is clever and makes good use of gestures on it to launch extra features. Gestures on the screen are mostly familiar, although I miss being able to "swipe back". Having a back arrow just isn't same.

Minimised apps. appear in a sort of card view, but without stacks, and need to be tapped on to close them (got to hit the "X"), no throwing them away.

Inclusion of the Amazon App. store is a nice extra feature, and it's possible to get more Android apps. from Google Play using a third party app.

The "Q" devices are more like Pres, IMHO, and the forthcoming "Classic" may be even more Pre-like due to the OS it will run.

Not a hugely traumatic transition, but still not quite WebOS.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post

delete email accounts & redo them..

had an aftermarket thing I forgot name of that would take incoming text messages & read them aloud for the car... great !!

I loved that phone too (motorola a3100)...Ĥ

oh well, nothing is forever ...just ask obama !!
    Tried it. Definitelly to no avail - same result. Some mails arent displayed.
    Is that the big square thing?

What pocket does it fit in?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

The chest pocket of bib overalls?
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I personally use a BlackBerry Z30 as my daily driver currently but have a lot of interest in the BlackBerry Passport. I'm waiting for the white version to come out or it to come down in price at least $100.

I love webOS and usually carry my Pre3 and/or TouchPad Go with me but there are about a half-dozen apps I've come to rely on that would make it hard to switch back completely. In particular the HTML5 browser on BB10 (and the Passport) is the best mobile browser that I've ever seen and looks amazing rendering desktop sites. I haven't had the opportunity to use a FireFox OS phone but I really believe that BB10 is the closest thing to webOS out of Android/iOS/WP/BB today. Gestures are great and the OS keeps getting better with each update.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

Pretty much any pocket you care to put it in - but back pockets are not recommended (although it doesn't bend as easily as an iFail)
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    I personally use a BlackBerry Z30 as my daily driver currently but have a lot of interest in the BlackBerry Passport. I'm waiting for the white version to come out or it to come down in price at least $100.

I love webOS and usually carry my Pre3 and/or TouchPad Go with me but there are about a half-dozen apps I've come to rely on that would make it hard to switch back completely. In particular the HTML5 browser on BB10 (and the Passport) is the best mobile browser that I've ever seen and looks amazing rendering desktop sites. I haven't had the opportunity to use a FireFox OS phone but I really believe that BB10 is the closest thing to webOS out of Android/iOS/WP/BB today. Gestures are great and the OS keeps getting better with each update.
    Html5 browser? Can we steal that for webOS?? Yesterday i was trying to transfer funds from paypal back to my bank. The site would not display the 'continue' button once i typed the dollar amount. So frustrating. No way i could see to switch to desktop view. I had to give up. I suspect paypal likes this as they keep my money longer!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tedthebassist View Post
    Hey, patapoof,

I can't wait to hear how it performs. Lets see some unboxing pictures!

Sincerely,
    ~Ted
    first was out of stock... Now ordered but digitalriver is a circle jerk ...if you order, use bb via amazon... Nice people on bb forum & crackberry... wunboxing already on youtube... Best views are "thetechguy" ones... Closeups in hd...