Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 2 Post By petbull
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  1.    #1  
    I was about to buy a Palm Pre 3 for me and a Veer for my daughter for when we switch to AT&T next year but I just found out this week that HP has closed the app store and support ends on Jan 15. Is it still viable to buy these phones or are they now nothing but glorified dumb/multimedia phones? Please help because I still have a Pre 2 (Verizon) and a Touchpad. :-(
    It's still viable. You just need to take some steps now to prepare. If you haven't already install Preware on your Pre 2 then (somewhere on these forums I can't recall the exact thread but I'm sure someone will provide a link shortly) install the patch that retains app installers after you install the app.

Go ahead and delete any of your non-stock apps and reinstall them so it grabs and saves the ipk. This way you can easily reinstall them on your future devices from the IPK files.

Lots (but not all) of the current apps will be available through Preware but it's better to act now to ensure all the apps you use are still available to you.

Besides this nothing really has changed so webOS is still as viable as it was six months ago.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian WebOS View Post
    I was about to buy a Palm Pre 3 for me and a Veer for my daughter for when we switch to AT&T next year but I just found out this week that HP has closed the app store and support ends on Jan 15. Is it still viable to buy these phones or are they now nothing but glorified dumb/multimedia phones? Please help because I still have a Pre 2 (Verizon) and a Touchpad. :-(

A dumb phone does not allow browsing the web in a free roam browser where you type in URL addresses. It has limited web based resources accessed by specific apps. WebOS devices are not dumb phones now.

The webOS devices all function "99%" as phones with cell data, or even Wi-Fi only data devices like a tablet.

HP's shutdown is eliminating some oem backup functions and the app catalog. This means we now back up ourselves or fly without backup. Self backup instructions are explained in currently active threads here.

There are also issues with maintaining synergy connections (auto sync) to various web service providers like gmail, but the patches to work around are created by forum members and available here if you seek them out and install on your devices.

So there is some technical stuff to do for 99.9% functionality, not 100% but that's because web service providers have dismissed us arbitrarily choosing to only cater to android, apple, and windows maybe, and this is not new.

I use a pre2 daily with no expectation to quit soon.
    Remy X, Saijin_Naib and Rnp like this.
    Well, it had better be viable because I just doubled down and bought a new Pre 3 to replace my Veer! I had always wanted the Pre 3, but we know what happened there and I settled for a Veer. A solid phone that has soldiered on for 2 and half years. It's time and I decided to stick with webos and get the Pre 3 over the Iphone. I'm just familiar with it, it is customized the way I want and I have the apps I need. Oh, it was relatively inexpensive and I don't have a contract to worry about. Win all around.

This way I can get it set up before the shutdown and work from there. But if you wait, I imagine the phones are going to go down in price once HP closes the servers down.
    Saijin_Naib and Mutoidi like this.
    If you are a current user (with a profile) there are ways to back up the apps you have and also download them to new devices you add to your profile(s) or in fact side load them to 'new' devices.

A number of apps have already been made available outside the app catalogue more will probably follow, but it's hard to say what percentage of the current apps will still be obtainable - it certainly won't be 100%.

So assuming you are happy with the aging hardware and the lower number of apps compared to other platforms, then continuing is down to how attached you are to webOS. It's not like other platforms are terrible and we can't ignore the reality of the situation with webOS, but it's still usable - HP pulling the plug doesn't kill the OS. The HP services might be replaced, there will be fewer apps available (that might change if LuneOS takes off), but maybe you already got the ones you wanted.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    A dumb phone does not allow browsing the web in a free roam browser where you type in URL addresses. It has limited web based resources accessed by specific apps. WebOS devices are not dumb phones now.
    I had (now my daughter's) a LG EnV Touch which, by today standards, is considered a "dumb phone". The EnV HAS full URL web browsing. ;-)

Thank you everyone for your input! :-)
    I just bought a NIB HP Pre3 and have a registration code from Palm unlocker.com but I cannot get the unlock code because I cant download Novacom installer on my window 7 64 bit PC. Jar file isse.
    Help please getting the Novacom drive downloaded on my PC
    THanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bertha scherrer View Post
    I just bought a NIB HP Pre3 and have a registration code from Palm unlocker.com but I cannot get the unlock code because I cant download Novacom installer on my window 7 64 bit PC. Jar file isse.
    THanks
    Download

WebOS Quick Install v4.6.0

this. Not only will be necessary later, to install preware on the phone, but it now installs the novacom drivers
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bertha scherrer View Post
    THanks

Also ensure, obviously, that you have the latest version of 'JAVA' installed on your Windows PC:

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    The Doctoring/Restarting Checklist page has a lot of the stuff you might need to do. I just posted a question about maybe adding anything else they could think of because of January 15th.