Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  1.    #1  
    I would like to ask if someone of good will & knowledge might make a super simple & clear guide of steps to back up the pre 3 & all the software added to it via app catalog before the dates of dismemberment so a weak minded person as myself could extend the life of this great device... also, to point out how this eventual stepwise guide could be adapted to back up my veer & touchpad too... tia !!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I wanted the ask the superb guys over at pivotce, if they could add these steps to their perfect Guide coming back to webOS.

But I planned to wait two or three days before asking because things have to settle down a bit as several threads are running hot discussing these things and developing solutions.

but feel free to head over there an ask: pivotCE: Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1

Best Jörg
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    I wanted the ask the superb guys over at pivotce, if they could add these steps to their perfect Guide coming back to webOS.

But I planned to wait two or three days before asking because things have to settle down a bit as several threads are running hot discussing these things and developing solutions.

but feel free to head over there an ask: pivotCE: Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1

Best Jörg
    I appreciate you thinking of us for this type of thing. Honestly, that kind of tutorial can get really big really quickly. There are several ways to backup pieces of your webOS device in the #1 section here HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services | pivotCE. The advanced methods are only good if you're recovering to the exact same device. I'm not sure where that would be applicable except for maybe a catastrophic software failure but the hardware is still ok. Otherwise you're replacing the device and the backup can't be reapplied entirely or you're doctoring to start fresh and need to reapply. Although that last scenario you'd be adding back everything so I'm not sure what the benefit would be.

I'm not saying a step by step "crayon on construction paper" tutorial isn't a possibility but the help you need to get going is already on this forum. We're nice! Just ask.

If you DO want to do the full backup try here The webOS Survival Kit and/or the link Remy X just provided.

We get that a step by step tutorial is easier but a little research can get you going plus you'll feel a lot smarter figuring it all out. I know I did when I worked on stuff like meta-doctor.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Remy X likes this.
    @Alan Morford

The backup method above will work if restoring from one device that failed, to an identical replacement. So, a Veer to a Veer, GSM Pre3 to GSM Pre3, TP 4G to TP 4G, but the only issue i think there was is you'll end up overwriting the tokens of the replacement device with the new one, but that's not always a bad thing when dealing with the Palm Profile. If you back-up tokens of the replacement device, there's no risk in "cloning".

Also, an experienced user like John Steffes could take this a step further and "metadoctor" the backup to go from say a Veer to a Pre3, with the same set of backups.

But anyway, i like your response
    Oh I see. Well I stand corrected I guess. I don't think I'm that paranoid of a person to get a 100% backup of my devices. I have all the files I need to restore and those are in 4 separate locations! Ok so I'm kinda paranoid.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Remy X likes this.
    If several, perhaps hundreds of webOS users are preparing for Jan 15, isn't there going to be several hundred backups of all these apps?
    Isn't there going to be a way for us to share these apps we backed up with those that may come along later and hadn't done the necessary backups?
    Just call me Berd.