Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi, all,

This summer I made a return to webOS, first with a Veer and later with a Pre 3, after ditching my iPhone 5. I got the Veer to see if HP's new hardware was worth all the fuss -and it was, I picked up a Pre 3 almost immediately after that realization. I have countless patches installed and Android dual-booted on both, and a Mugen Power 2800 mAh extended battery for my Pre 3, which served as my daily driver until today.

However, I happened across a brand new HTC One M8, a device that I was considering for my upcoming upgrade and a device that Derek Kessler suggested to me as a stand-in for webOS, on eBay for $375.00 off-contract with a case and tempered-glass screen protector and I simply couldn't resist; I have now switched to Android.

This being said, my Pre 3 will always be my favorite smartphone that I ever owned. webOS will always be my favorite operating system that I have ever used. And this community will always be the one in which I am most proud to say I have been a part of. I will still be around, trying to help out all I can and breaking out my devices to prevent dust every now and then.

I think Michael Fisher, of Pocketnow, said it best: "I've moved on since [webOS], not just because I entered the technology field, but because, like everyone else, I had to -I was forced to- and while I'm glad things have progressed I still think it's only proper to stop every once in a while and pay tribute to a great platform that helped push modern smartphones to their current heights. Because while we should always keep our eye on the future, we shouldn't forget those who propelled us there. Thank you, Palm."

Sincerely,
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    Remy X, Rnp and HelloNNNewman like this.
    Kessler! That traitor...
    kulf likes this.
    Yeah OK bye.

Pardon my bluntness, but the rest of us are desperately bailing water trying to make what we have work. No one needs to be reminded the lifeboat is headed ashore if you're willing to live on android island.
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
    Well... all the snarkiness aside...

Because of work requirements, I picked up the M7 a while back and will be upgrading to the M8 in the near future. It's a great phone (can't stand Android though) - but HTC did a great job with Sense and it's a good phone to move from webOS to. I've still got my Pre2 and Pre3 on my desk and still swap my SIM into those when I feel the need to go back to a better (by far) OS. After using this phone and playing with my Pre3 again it still saddens me to no end that such a better OS was killed by HP. Idiots. <biting tongue hard>

But you'll really like the M8 out of all the devices available. Good choice. I'm sure you'll be like me though and keep supporting webOS efforts and watching anything/everything that develops!
    Remy X, Grabber5.0, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    Newmannn! That traitor!
    Well... I had Incredible 2 & Preł... A Moto Photon & Preł... Galaxy Note & Preł... Galaxy S3 & Preł... Galaxy Note 2 & Preł... and I'm trying to by the LG G Flex and...

... continue with the same Preł since the Incredible 2!

Using one is not the same that leave other: my Androids always was my "pocket tablets" & save my battery in my Pres... :P

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Well... all the snarkiness aside...

Because of work requirements, I picked up the M7 a while back and will be upgrading to the M8 in the near future. It's a great phone
    (...)
    But you'll really like the M8 out of all the devices available. Good choice. I'm sure you'll be like me though and keep supporting webOS efforts and watching anything/everything that develops!
    I may be talking rubbish here, but I'm guessing the M8 runs the following:

Stock Android
    Windows
    Cyanogenmod...

... and therefore, potentially, LuneOS! (if someone makes an M8 port of it)

It may not be possible for the user to juggle the available OS's above, but if it is, that makes the M8 the 'TouchPad' of phones.
  8.    #8  
    Hi, all,

I just wanted to say give a quick thanks to all of you for taking the time to read my little message to the community. I didn't mean to sound as if I was completely jumping ship, I suppose that I am more so using an HTC One M8 and my Pre 3, just like Rnp. And I'll still be around to help out in any way that I can, just like HelloNNNewman (though I doubt I can be a fraction of how helpful he is -I will try my best!). Working in an IT department has just required me to have a little more of a recently device and I'm a little afraid of my Veer or Pre 3 crashing after all the time I spent fine-tuning them.

And, yeah -this goes without saying,- while HTC Sense is nice, it ain't no webOS...

Sincerely,
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I appreciate you chiming in again Ted, sorry if i sounded like a jerk earlier.

I'm just really tired of people saying they're moved on here. There's no reason in my mind to post that here. It's really discouraging to those of us left behind.

Sure, I'd like to afford a fancy new phone that gets OTA updates and has no problems with sync to my email and calendar. But i cannot. And my experience with android on this nexus 7 tablet has me absolutely disgusted. I want to hit this thing with a hammer at least once a day. This Swype thing is absolute Shyte!! Ugh you have no idea how much i hate trying to type in these text fields with it.

It seems plenty of people here don't have to rely on their webOS phone anymore, and it's just a toy for them. It's not for me. This frankenpre is all i have, and i need it to work. And right now it's working half-assed and apparently i can't use it to reliably sync with hotmail anymore??? Idk. i guess since no one has replied to my thread asking about it, i don't know what to do. I'm hoping by some small miracle that whatever RemyX is proposing may somehow help me in the near future. But that too may not address my issue or it may be over my head and I'm s.o.l.

I wish there was more help, i wish i knew what to do, and i secretly wish i had never bought a ticket on the maiden voyage of the Titanic back in '09. And i wish there were more threads contributing help than wishing farewell. So it's not you, it's really my own frustration. Apologies again.

Enjoy your new phone.
    Remy X likes this.
    @TJs11thPre

I'm sure if your device ever starts to fail, there are those of us with devices that can be used for parts, or for another FrankenPre. I hear you though... If I weren't on a company phone, I'd still be using either the FrankenPre, or a Pre3 (if I still switched over to my current service). For me, a device that works like that is one to hold on to as long as possible. I still miss it.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I've actually got a spare Pre2 and a spare sprint com board, in addition to a new Veer if i ever have to abandon Sprint. Hardware is not a problem.

It's definitely the software, in particular i wish we had a CURRENT version of doctors that include everything the community has made patches for over the last 3 years. I wish we had a dependable source of hot fixes to those doctors as Google and etc keep making changes without webOS in mind.

The ability to update my phone without being a Linux expert is what i miss most without Palm/HP corporate. Up to now ive been able to force feed some patches, but i personally am struggling to keep current and I'm on this site literally every day. I find out about solutions late frequently, and often they are over my head. I never understood how to use apptuckerbox and just today i read it is already been shut down since heartbleed hit. I have no idea how to pull logs. All troubleshooting is a guess. Even Impostah is so confusing, i know it does more than i understand. And terminals? I barely can make wosqi work. I don't understand it, but i have had successes.

And that's the sick irony. Whether it was the original Pre hardware failures that took me through my first 7 Pre's, or the drama we all know since Hp got involved, it's always been exceptionally difficult, yet I've still fought tooth and nail to stay with this phone because i love using it. I like the gestures, the keyboard, and the soap bar shape. I like the email and sms apps that display all sources together. I like the Just Type bar.

If RemyX's plans include updates we can install via Preware, I can begin to relax a bit. But it's still unclear what we will be able to do without HP lawyers throwing us a cease n desist.

In my fantasy land, John S or similar forum hero builds us current (2015) metadoctors for all viable models and they include all recent needed patches to maintain all remaining functional synergy links. So if i ever need to build a new franken, i can run one meta Dr, which includes Super Preware* as a default app, and it starts downloading my ipks. I'd certainly pay $10, heck $20 a year for this.

* not a name, just a reference

P.s. Thanks for chiming in here.
    I thinks its kinda cool to say goodbye, its not like the op was like all this webos stuff sucks and so I am outa here. Most people just move on and that's cool too, but I have always felt that some who we see as leaders should say a little sup'n fore they leave
    Laingman, the day you leave, THEN it's game over. Don't even think about it!
    you know i got to admit i still talk about how awesome our little webOS is and people who see me still rocking my TP, TP4G and/or my Pre3 this the touch to share it mind blowingly awesome. I wish there was a way to do what PIC and OM did on the TP for the Pre3 cause we'd still be in business but with new technology like the Galaxy Note Edge coming out soon, it won't be to long till i'm forced to move to Android. Should LG ever decide to give webOS a go the community is still here and always will be, and you'd have me jumping ship back to webOS in a heartbeat no matter what the cost. In the mean time my kids will keep rocking there Pre- for videos on long car trip and i'll have my everyday work horse until the Note Edge comes out... So sad to see HPalm/LG keep throwing away a perfectly good OS that even with years on the shelf can come out and content with the big boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Laingman, the day you leave, THEN it's game over. Don't even think about it!
    I have no plans to leave, thanks. But I have yet to get started with the survival stuff, it's soo many threads, I have just ignored them til I have to get started. All I wanna know is if I have to doctor. or build a frankenpre, will I be able to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I have no plans to leave, thanks. But I have yet to get started with the survival stuff, it's soo many threads, I have just ignored them til I have to get started. All I wanna know is if I have to doctor. or build a frankenpre, will I be able to do it
    I got a copy of everything i thought I'd need. But idk how the meta dr functions during install, and if it is self contained in the build i already made, or if it still communicates externally to hp/palm in any way.

And yeah i don't wanna know about the day you and like six others here give up. Would be very dark days.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    And yeah i don't wanna know about the day you and like six others here give up. Would be very dark days.
    Would be dark days indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I got a copy of everything i thought I'd need. But idk how the meta dr functions during install, and if it is self contained in the build i already made, or if it still communicates externally to hp/palm in any way.

A metadoctor is self-contained, like a regular doctor. The only possible call to HP is for Novacom drivers if they are not installed.

But if that makes any difference to you, you can count on me not leaving...
    I've had many chances to use an Android device, i even own a Nexus7... but you know, Android is...unpalatable.... soulless, like a slab of concrete. That spark is not there, the magic is gone. Whatever people may think of me, for me, webOS is a place of peace. It's not just a phone or a tablet, it's another dimension of one's mind. Android doesn't do that for me, it doesn't flow.
    Not sure if I should chime in or not, but I've also been forced to move on.

Blackberry Passport - a very poor successor to my beloved Pre3, but the closest thing I can find with a proper keyboard. The "hub" is usable, but no replacement for WebOS's email client.

Pre3 will live on my desk as a WiFi device which lets me know about email, and a constant reminder of what a proper phone o/s looks like.

Thanks to everyone in the community, it's been a roller coaster ride, but with some great high points.

I still have fond memories of the days of "Mobile Cash Quest" on my original Pre and the fun we all had working through those puzzles together.

So - farewell - for now. I still have hope that LG might see sense.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  20.    #20  
    It's funny, since I made this post I have already broken out my Veer to test and play with some things. I will never get over how appealing this device is. Although I used the Pre 3 as my daily driver for sever months, I think I prefer the Veer when looking back.

Sincerely,
    ~Ted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast