Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By roughty
  • 4 Post By Remy X
  • 2 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have some unboxed webos devices ( e.g. a pre3) that I wanted to keep to use sometime in the future.

Is it right that after January 15 , 2015 these devices will only be trash and unable to use at all?

Is there any way to activate and use them after Jan 15?
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    It's easy to "bypass activation" by enabling devmode on the phone keypad. But we are also just starting out with setting up a community-hosted Profile/activation server which you will also be able to use

And anyone who is spreading FUD about devices being "trash" should be challenged in the open, because we can't have trolls running around scaring unsuspecting users like you
    Yes, it will be easy to bypass the initial setup, and then you can use the phone as normal, but you won't have access to any information stored in your HP/Palm profile, or app catalog.

You'll still be able to put the device into developer mode, and install things, though, from Preware or other sources.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Rnp and MartinH@webos like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Yes, it will be easy to bypass the initial setup,
    OK - this would work for webos (without webos profile) - fine.

What about installing LuneOS and / or some Android system (using for example the TP Toolbox)?
    Will this continue to work for brand new devices too ?
    If you have an existing profile, you can use the command line to backup the device, which also can be used to restore (but I am not sure about different version levels of device/OS levels), been backing up and restoring locally for a while now....
    Remy X likes this.
    Can i just chip in?

When bypassing the activation, the device is usable, but activation usually requires a sim card & data connection.

This page:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ce.html#c21702 (Developing on an Unactivated Device)
    Phone and SMS functionality won't work. The webOS APIs for launching the Phone and Messaging apps will work (and the Messaging app can be used for instant messaging), but calls and text messages will not work.
    ...suggests that activation is required for calling. Will calling be activated without the servers or do they perform an off-device process to allow it?

I'm sure a device can be restored with tokens and such, I'm wondering about fresh and reset devices.
    In that case they are talking about devices not activated on a carrier, but calling and SMS work just fine on a bypassed device with an active SIM inserted and configured (for data and SMS - voice works prior to that). Both of my GSM Pre3's were bypassed and everything works fine. My developer Pre2 was the same way, though had probably already signed it in using Impostah before I ever put a SIM in it. It's been a long time since I activated my Pre and FrankenPre2 on Sprint, so I can't remember all of the details, but carrier activation has to happen before the normal Palm Profile sign in process can happen on a new device, so I don't think it matters whether you end up having to bypass Palm Profile setup afterward. Verizon I'm not sure about with that weird activation process using *228 or whatever it is.
    After reading the above, I'm still a bit confused. Yesterday, I tried to switch out my broken 3 with a another one. I keep getting that missing carrier mentioned above. I'm not exactly sure how to get around it. When I switched to Metro PCS last summer, the techs had to do a couple of extra things however it's been up and running since; it's running now, since I had them switch it back over, albeit hard to read because of the burnt screen. I had considered putting a new screen from another device in it, however this phone has a bad habit of rebooting so I wanted to replace everything.

I'm lost about what will still be up and what won't. I was going to let the MetroPCS techs work with it tomorrow, however if I can't have my usual stuff--calls, texts/sms, email, browsers--then that would be going backwards.

I couple of weeks ago, I bought a used Galaxy Note 3, to use at work via wi-fi: I got the note because of the stylus. Would it behoove me to reverse that order and use the Pre 3 as the work wi-fi devive? After all, I do like it's keyboard. I can get notes to my work PC via email and whatnot. Most everything I use on a regular basic is tied to Internet devices,so that I can use them on other devices, save Data and Shopping Manager. The main problem that I see is that when I tried to run my Verizon Pre 2 as wi-fi, after I had upgraded to a 3, the phone reset itself. Would it still be possible do get the replacement 3 without being connected to the net via a carrier? What about using override command mentioned earlier in this thread to set ti up? If someone can give me that, I can start experimenting with the new one.

I would appreciate any help that anyone would be able to give me concerning this matter.

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by mpcollins; 01/22/2015 at 09:13 PM. Reason: correcting errors
    New to the forum. Wanted to give hope to anyone that has yet to fire up their pre 3's
    Just ported over from my pre 2 to new pre 3 on Page Plus (verizon) with the help of multiple threads posted here. Thank You!!
    At first I was just hopeful to get any kind of service, but after using the doctor from webarchive I was able to switch pretty easily. To my surprise, it accepted my palm/hp profile and transferred all my contacts and email accounts. The apps transferred, but are failing to update. If anyone has any info that would be helpful to get the apps working it would be much appreciated. If not, I can live without most. I think it may be that the phones running 2.2.3.

thanks again!
    You'd better update to 2.2.4 for sure. You need the "root certificate" update in order to download things from app catalog. You can find it here on the forum.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by J_volfel View Post
    The apps transferred, but are failing to update. If anyone has any info that would be helpful to get the apps working it would be much appreciated. If not, I can live without most. I think it may be that the phones running 2.2.3.
    How to fix App Catalog/App errors related to Certificate expiration
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    This page:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ce.html#c21702 (Developing on an Unactivated Device)

...suggests that activation is required for calling. Will calling be activated without the servers or do they perform an off-device process to allow it?
    IIRC calling works on activation bypassed device.
    Is there a difference in the answer for (whether a new phone can be activated for calling after March 15) depending on if GSM or CDMA? I currently have a pre 2 on page plus (verizon) but have to move to a cricket (ATT) group plan. Plan to start with a free-after-rebate android, but would be great to move to a not so used pre 3.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by susanhilary View Post
    Is there a difference in the answer for (whether a new phone can be activated for calling after March 15) depending on if GSM or CDMA? I currently have a pre 2 on page plus (verizon) but have to move to a cricket (ATT) group plan. Plan to start with a free-after-rebate android, but would be great to move to a not so used pre 3.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I am not sure whether activation is the right word. There are two things involved to be able to use a device.
    a) a mobile needs to be known in the telecommunications network
    b) a smartphone might need to be registered with the supplier of the OS

a) To be able to use a CDMA device, it needs to be registered in a database with the service provider. For most GSM networks this is not necessary, since this is done through the SIM card that one uses. (Unless it is SIM-locked to a different provider, or eg you need to register your device with the government, like in Turkey)

b) An Apple device will be registered with Apple, most Android devices with Google, etc. A webOS device normally would be registered with a Palm/HP Profile, but this can be bypassed, this will still leave you with a working Smartphone.

Things not usable when not registered at a Palm/HP profile:
    remote reset, remote pin recovery, backup (although we have alternatives in part)
    (I am sure I have not mentioned all here)
    UPDATE: Performed Full Erase did the trick.
    In a bind....Purchased Pre3 a couple days ago...already have existing profile from Day 1. bypassed activation process to make sure device worked...called Verizon, and they gladly activated Pre3 today (after suspending my S3). Problem is, i cannot activate my profile, update root certificate, open App Catalogue. what am i missing? looked around the forums and could not find an answer.
    Thx in advance for help.
    Last edited by guggie1; 03/01/2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    If you have an existing profile, you can use the command line to backup the device, which also can be used to restore (but I am not sure about different version levels of device/OS levels), been backing up and restoring locally for a while now....
    Can you please provide the exact commands to do this for both backup and restore? Thanks
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums