1.    #1  
    last time I programmed anything (other than a VCR) was at NYU when I ran a stack of punched cards on an IBM 360-30 that occupied the whole floor of a building ...my term paper was to teach it to alphebetize a list of names in any format ...sheesh !!

I wonder, now more than half century has passed (way more), if it would squeeze my little brain to learn enough to port cyanogen9 to the pre3 so I can keep my love affair alive

... it works so well on the touchpad, I would LOVE to keep my vertical slider & small format & use it forever more ... or at least until I hear the final tintinabulation of the bells, bells, bells...

seriously ...any idea if an old man of descent intelligence can do it ??
    You can have Android running in a container inside of webOS and making all API calls through the "creature comforts" already in place, but installing it on the "bare metal" won't be fun, because unlike the TP, Pre3 did not ship with ready to use Android-style drivers. The Pre3 also has some memory constraints due to the Qualcomm modem firmware occupying part of the RAM.

A solution similar to the "ACL" that was being worked on last year might probably be the most viable attempt.

But anyway, i understand your frustration. Sometimes a job is too big for one person, or even 15....
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    You can have Android running in a container inside of webOS and making all API calls through the "creature comforts" already in place, but installing it on the "bare metal" won't be fun, because unlike the TP, Pre3 did not ship with ready to use Android-style drivers. The Pre3 also has some memory constraints due to the Qualcomm modem firmware occupying part of the RAM.

A solution similar to the "ACL" that was being worked on last year might probably be the most viable attempt.

But anyway, i understand your frustration. Sometimes a job is too big for one person, or even 15....
    I have read some about the ACL ...but is it a reality? Can it be used now? I am especially interested in the .apk termed "gdmss lite" which would let me view security cameras I own ...??
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    I have read some about the ACL ...but is it a reality? Can it be used now? I am especially interested in the .apk termed "gdmss lite" which would let me view security cameras I own ...??
    I've been gone for a year, so i don't know the specifics. The project was targeted towards the Touchpad, but i think the vendor would want another $50,000 to make it work on the 2.x phones
  5.    #5  
    I've been gone for a year, so i don't know the specifics. The project was targeted towards the Touchpad, but i think the vendor would want another $50,000 to make it work on the 2.x phones
    I viewed a u-toob video showing it on a pre 3 but stated it was only good as a clock ...another vid showed it actually working, but I am not sure since u-toob is such a place rampant with crude hoaxes & such...
    Read this thread here, it's real, but real limited. ACL for the Pre3 will never happen.

(Pre3) AndroidChroot - run android inside webOS
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Read this thread here, it's real, but real limited. ACL for the Pre3 will never happen.

(Pre3) AndroidChroot - run android inside webOS
    Yup. No hardware accelerated video. AKA "only good as a clock"
  8.    #8  
    Yup. No hardware accelerated video. AKA "only good as a clock"
    looks like this is WAY way above my pay grade anyhow... I put on cyanogen7 on my touchpad before all the automated folderol came out & was successful ...have upgraded to ver9 & latest "nightly" which enables the camera ...very nice !!