1.    #1  
    just as a preface my pre3 has been inoperable since June, so yeah. With HP winding down cloud services I figured now was as good a time as any to post, but, I digress. My pre3 is not only my backup device that I take with me everywhere in my trusty backpack, its also a gift from my wife, as she knows how much I love this os. So, I go to a meeting in Milpitas, I live in the bay area now, I kept my bag in my truck thinking, well, its not very hot, coming from az it really wasnt, I figure my pre should be good. Go to meeting get out of the meeting, go home get home, didn't think anything of it, assuming the phone is fine. Get ready for bed pull out the phone to check preware and charge it up, its dead, ok no worries, have my touchpad charger at the ready, plug it in, powers up, vibrates, a split second longer than usual at the att splash screen, don't think anything of it, roll over and pass out, wake up in the morning, get ready for work, grab my pre, doesn't light up, hit power button doesn't wake up, hold down power button, doesn't reset, doesn't do anything, very perplexed by the situation, I let it charge for days on end, nothing, let it sit to drain then charge, nothing, pull the battery let it sit, then charge, nothing, connect it to the laptop, let it charge, nothing, try to put it into recovery mode, nothing,it is currently sitting charging using a dumb phone charger, 5vdc 350ma, no life yet. Could the touchpad charger have caused the issue, considering its not the first pre a touchpad charger has killed a pre of mine, my sprint pre is currently stuck in a boot loop after charging while I was at work
    Palm treo 700w wm5 (sprint), Palm treo 800w wm6.1(sprint), Palm treo pro wm 6.5.3 (sprint), Palm pre webOS 2.1(sprint), Palm pixi webOS 1.4.5 (sprint), Htc arrive wp nodo (sprint), Nokia lumia 900 wp 7.8 (ATT), Hp touchpad w/ LunaCE 4.9.10, Hp pre3 2.2.4 (ATT-unlocked)
    Could definitely be a failure in the charging circuit, I've used a TP charger on my Pre+ for two years and it still works, but have times when the phone stops charging and starts pretending to charge, until it drains completely while in Hotspot mode, then starts charging in its "sleep", so i come back and it's off but fully charged

I should try using a new battery to see if it still happens
  3.    #3  
    So then just a new battery basically, or something more in depth ? I'd really just like to have my pre3 working again, just not sure what else to try at this point

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Palm treo 700w wm5 (sprint), Palm treo 800w wm6.1(sprint), Palm treo pro wm 6.5.3 (sprint), Palm pre webOS 2.1(sprint), Palm pixi webOS 1.4.5 (sprint), Htc arrive wp nodo (sprint), Nokia lumia 900 wp 7.8 (ATT), Hp touchpad w/ LunaCE 4.9.10, Hp pre3 2.2.4 (ATT-unlocked)
    The Pre3 is a whole lot more fragile than the +/- or the 2, and i'm not sure you'll be able to easily fix it.

Something had died on the mainboard and interrupted the circuit, so yeah, you could, with some patience, steady hand and a continuity meter find what it is, and replace that tiny component, or use a specialized device to make a block-level dump of its flash memory, but it's not fun, and without a proper schematic, servicing a multi-layer board is a little more difficult. The most innocuous thing that could have happened is a broken USB port, but that can be ruled out pretty quickly once you look inside.

From looking at a Pre3 teardown two years ago, i think i remember seeing the flash memory on a separate board, so if that's the case, memory can be transplanted to a donor board/phone
  5.    #5  
    Holy crap, yeah, I'm not too sure about that, looks like I have a paper weight of a pre3, dang, really sucks

If you plug it in without a battery, does anything come up on the screen?
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  7.    #7  
    No, nothing sadly

Quote Originally Posted by wideeyed85 View Post
    Holy crap, yeah, I'm not too sure about that, looks like I have a paper weight of a pre3, dang, really sucks

Even if it's a paperweight, with no signs of life, you can either buy a donor board for it or part it out and sell what's still usable. There's a fair amount of demand for screen bezels, digitizers, and back covers...

Not all is lost
  9.    #9  
    I know your right, it was hard enough convincing my wife to let me get one to go along with my two touchpads another unusable sprint pre and of course assorted touchstones. Which she got me as a present anyway. Such a terrible thing to have such an understanding partner in life

10.    #10  
    I have been trying to figure out whats going on with my pre 3 in my spare time, hurt my knee recently, so out of work for a little, either way screen still not powering on no back lights or anything. today I plug my pre 3 into my laptop, the laptop sounds off recognizing a device has been plugged in, considering I always leave it muted my wife must have been letting my daughter use it for one of her games, anyway, I pull up device manager, open up ports, and it registers as a QUALCOMM HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (com5), not sure what that means but there is obviously life in there somewhere, just not sure what it means, or what happened. looking into it currently, just thought i'd update and get some thoughts

currently looking through this thread for some answers
    Last edited by wideeyed85; 11/11/2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: found addt'l info
    QHUSB-DLOAD mode?

Sounds like the 1st or 2nd stage bootloader is corrupted, which seems to be the most common "cause of death" for the Pre3 and in the past, the Touchpad.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$'$s$ $a$ $reliable$, $ready$-$to$-$use$ $fix$ $for$ $the$ $Touchpad$, $and$ $then$ $some$ $similar$ $but$ $incomplete$ $stuff$ $for$ $the$ $Pre3$ $in$ $the$ $thread$ $you$'$re$ $looking$ $at$. $Hopefully$ $it$ $will$ $work$ $for$ $you$. $Best$ $of$ $luck$
  12.    #12  
    Yeah, still combing through all that stuff, still trying to make sense of it all, and making sure I can actually execute the steps required