1.    #1  
    After close to a year with a Pre3 (well, two, switched from a 8Gb to a 16Gb model a few months ago), I barely use data, but since last month, I've had some massive spikes.

Two days with over 100MB, one over 200MB... I have no idea as I really barely use any.

In a normal month, out of my 500MB, it's really rare that I use over 100MB, heck, most month I use less than 50MB.

I normally do not leave any cards/app opened, nor did anything different.

I can't find any way to check history (browser) by date/time/usage, so I'm stuck with a nasty situation and ended up with over 300MB over last month, and this month, I'm already near my 500MB (only 75MB to go with 19 days).

I've gone ahead and added extra data to protect myself, and have turned my data off for now (and will keep it WIFI only for a few days).... but this is crazy.

Anyone has any suggestions about how to pinpoint what could be doing this.

My ONLY guilty pleasure has been playing 2048 a lot on it, but aside that, I've only done a few calls, a few texts, and looked up an address (and map) within the month.

The worse part is that the 200+MB was a few days ago, and my provider is saying that this activity was at 8:37 a.m., and the only thing that I'd be doing at such a time, is getting ready for work, possibly checking if I have emails, at the bathroom playing 2048, or on the road already. And if home or at the office, I have my WIFI anyways... I rarely forget to turn that on (if I did turn it off to save power if I plan to be away from home/work for most of the day).

The only thing I can think is that 2048 is pinging the web while you play it.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 10/09/2014 at 10:04 PM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    A megabyte is actually 1024 bytes, not 1000. To be clear, 2Mb is actually 2048... Look familiar?

To address business & parental concerns, some of these simple, but highly addictive games employ a system endorsed by the Henry Ford American Productivity Association. These games transmit an amount of data equal to your high score - it's not just pinging the server!

Unskilled, low-scoring or occasional players don't notice, but skilled, high-scoring, regular, even ADDICTED players start receiving large bills as an incentive to put down the phone and do something useful.

You've got to hit 2048 as many as 100 times to get to 200Mb, but a player of your calibre will know that higher scores are possible and this is the result. The same system is included in that other big hit, Flappy Bird, but no one's scored highly enough to notice...
    I've been noticing a spike in my Pre3's data usage too (via make call to *DATA# on AT&T to get text back of my cellular data usage).

In the last 3.5 days, it's used over 300MB.
    Over the last 3 weeks, it's used over 1.2GB!

I mostly use my Pre3 for calls, texts, and some light web browsing using winNeR, nothing that should be very data intensive. I sometimes use Email (manually sync only 3 days worth), FeedSpider, and GuttenPodder too, but not every day or even every week. The only way to keep my cell data usage down now is to keep WiFi ON, which I did NOT have to do in the past. I have not had a chance to look at the log files yet.

Anyone have any idea what is going on or how to investigate this further?

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    A megabyte is actually 1024 bytes, not 1000. ...
    A megabyte is 1,024 KILObytes, or 1,024 x 1,024 bytes = 1,048,576 bytes (binary JEDEC spec). For more details, please see:
    Megabyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by UI Designer; 10/10/2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Add more details
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    A megabyte is actually 1024 bytes, not 1000. To be clear, 2Mb is actually 2048... Look familiar?

To address business & parental concerns, some of these simple, but highly addictive games employ a system endorsed by the Henry Ford American Productivity Association. These games transmit an amount of data equal to your high score - it's not just pinging the server!

Unskilled, low-scoring or occasional players don't notice, but skilled, high-scoring, regular, even ADDICTED players start receiving large bills as an incentive to put down the phone and do something useful.

You've got to hit 2048 as many as 100 times to get to 200Mb, but a player of your calibre will know that higher scores are possible and this is the result. The same system is included in that other big hit, Flappy Bird, but no one's scored highly enough to notice...
    hmmm you kinda lost me here...

But my game is up to the 64,536 box so far and still going.

My score at this point is 1,285,104

But if I understand you, every point I get, ends up being uploaded because it's so high?

Why would this be done like this and not wait to send the final score, or better yet, have the player have the choice to upload his score.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    A megabyte is 1,024 KILObytes, or 1,024 x 1,024 bytes = 1,048,576 bytes (binary JEDEC spec). For more details, please see:
    Megabyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Uh...

Yes, correct. I wrote it half-awake at a stupid hour of the morning - even had to check my multiples, but anyway, it's not meant to be taken seriously...

I'm just teasing you for your 2048 playing! It's a joke! ;-) Any program that did that would be the worst programming ever or malware! It's funny you thought your 'guilty pleasure' might be the cause.

Impressive scores though! Maybe you ARE playing a bit too much... ;-)

...wait a minute! How would 64,536 fit into a little square box!? You're winding me up right back, aren't you! ;-)
    App Review: 2048 | pivotCE
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/10/2014 at 06:11 AM.
  6.    #6  
    ok.. due to issues with the Goggle calendar and such I think I now know what the problem was/is.

My email account has somehow reset itself to continual check (as items arrive).

So I've changed that to normal (6+hours) but I've also installed Data Toggle and when I'm away from WIFI source (home and work), I make sure that my 3G is off and only turn it on when I need it, to check if I did get emails, etc. and look stuff up (maps, etc.) and then turn it back off again.
    I see a pattern...