Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    I always loved WebOS! I loved my Pre and never got to have a Pre3. It really was the best little phone I ever owned. I am thinking about picking one up. Are they viable? Here is what I do on my phone.

Facebook
    Twitter
    Text
    Email (gmail)
    Light web browsing.

Thank's y'all!
    cbosdell likes this.
    A pre? Or a pre3? I'd recommend a Pre2 at minimum.
    The Pre & Pixi in 2014 | pivotCE
    The Pre 2 & HP Veer in 2014 | pivotCE
    The Pre 3 and HP TouchPad in 2014 | pivotCE

Macaw for Twitter still gets updates:
    Project Macaw Update Today!!!
    Texting is no problem.
    Gmail - yes, but you'll need this patch: [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in)
    The browser is old and has a reload problem. It's mostly fine - for light browsing. YMMV

I think facebook works, but there may be limits. Someone else will have to answer that.

A new version of webOS is in development, but it's not ready for daily use yet. LuneOS
    ananimus likes this.
    Facebook works, although it keeps throwing a warning about a missing column in the database for me.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    The one thing missing from the Facebook app is the share feature (Facebook on the web works fine).
    as old as it is and not being supported or updated anymore id say no.
    I love my Pre3. If you can live with the handful of things that you can't do on Facebook, everything else you listed is covered. To the previous poster: it's quite obvious that none of the webOS phones are supported and all are very old, but for folks who love webOS, they're the only thing we've got. For my day to day use, I'm far happier using a limited OS to get the experience I love.
    Hi, beachnerds,

I recently sold my iPhone 5 for a Pre 3 (and some spare cash!) and have been using it as my daily driver since July. If you're someone like me, which it seems you are, who really only uses their smartphone for calling, texting, emailing, web browsing and for some basic apps like Facebook (though I prefer the web-client), Twitter, and Pandora -you'll be just fine. In fact, I believe the phone handles a lot of those features better than a lot of the devices on the market today.

The build quality is also superb. The screen is a great size and provides a crisp image. I love it and I don't plan on trading it in anytime soon, even with a upgrade readily available (the HTC One M8 is tempting, though...).

Hope this helped.

Sincerely,
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    barryb20 likes this.
    I think for the needs you specified it's a great option. I miss using my Pre3 as a daily driver but there are a half-dozen or so apps I've come to use on a daily basis it doesn't have. Project Macaw, FeedSpider, Apollo, Forums, pReader, Explorer for Dropbox, Music Player Remix are all top notch apps that hold up to the competition even in late 2014.

The Facebook app isn't missing too much and along with QuickChat for Facebook (Facebook Messenger client) and the Facebook mobile site (x.facebook.com) is a workable solution.

For the price you really can't go wrong. It's the best webOS experience and with some effort can be tweaked to meet your needs.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    the pre3 is a great phone if all you use is the the basic apps. In my case, I
    had to go to the LG G2 because I had difficulty opening the newer types of PDF files for work, man I miss my Pre 3, so simple with swiping and cards to navigate thru apps, after 6 months I still can't get used to android, lol, unnecessary steps required in my opinion. Also, I really miss a real keyboard too. If I didn't need my phone for work, I would switch back to my pre.
    the pre3 is a great phone if all you use is the the basic apps. In my case, I
    had to go to the LG G2 because I had difficulty opening the newer types of PDF files for work, man I miss my Pre 3, so simple with swiping and cards to navigate thru apps, after 6 months I still can't get used to android, lol, unnecessary steps required in my opinion. Also, I really miss a real keyboard too. If I didn't need my phone for work, I would switch back to my pre.. WebOS is still light years ahead of everything out there, way ahead of its time
    On the bright side, I'm working in Vegas, sitting in my hotel room using my TouchPad
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    as old as it is and not being supported or updated anymore id say no.
    You need to check your definition of viable as the answer is certainly YES*.

Yes with an asterisk though...

Pre3, or Veer for that matter, on ATT or even TMo at H+ speeds is definitely a competent daily driver.
    Pre2 at 3g is also a competent daily driver on every US carrier.

I can still make these claims because of...
    * provided user maintains the phone with home brew support via this forum.

So please don't discount the awesome work done by our members who have essentially picked up the reins dropped by the manufacturer. My phone works every day, without shortcomings, thanks to our forum heroes.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 10/09/2014 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Reigns? Reins??
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I sold my Pre's (1, 2, and 3) because I needed medical apps. But I still have and surf on my Touchpad.

And carriers support much more ancient phones than Pre's.

So if you have the apps you need, the Pre away on the most awesome little phone out there. Everytime I am hitting the wrong key on my iPhone6 screen while texting or typing into a medical app, I am missing my old Pre's with their hardware keyboard and endlessly hyperlinked interface (such as being able to tap on artist name or album to bring up all that stuff, when playing a song....sigh)
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    I wish I had webOS on my Note 3! 😭
    #webOSisthebest
    ajguns
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
    'Is a Pre3 Viable?'

In answer, I have very sadly, to say that without a functioning Microphone - as mine now is - distinctly "No!".

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    'Is a Pre3 Viable?'

In answer, I have very sadly, to say that without a functioning Microphone - as mine now is - distinctly "No!".

Have you considered taking all your calls through a Bluetooth headset? Bypass your faulty mic and keep using your phone.

I recommend the LG stereo models. They are awesome. I wear mine all the time and see them all over Atlanta.
    combination of using "speakerphone" & "touch volume" & "the ghastly headset" apps made it all better ...dunno which one fixed it, but it has worked fine since...
    Remy X and TJs11thPre like this.
    When i have wired headset issues, i make a call to voice mail and then hang up. Seems to reset whatever is hanging up with the audio switching function. Maybe someone can find a solution by monitoring that process.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    When i have wired headset issues, i make a call to voice mail and then hang up. Seems to reset whatever is hanging up with the audio switching function. Maybe someone can find a solution by monitoring that process.
    & your provider is... ??
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    & your provider is... ??
    He is running a "FrankenPre"... An ex-GSM Pre2 with a Sprint (CDMA) radio board taken from a Pre-
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast