Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By bet3zzz
  1.    #1  
    Hi All
    Is there in existence, or perhaps an expert here could help with a Step-by-Step, easy to follow, COMPLETE and thorough install guide that enables the on screen keyboard on the Pre 3?

By 'works' I mean that the guide ALSO includes ALL steps that involve all required patches & configuration prep?

I appreciate that there probably are already threads on this subject, but i want to ensure that ALL STEPS are in ONE place, & not having to flick back & forth through 20 pages of threads, trying to piece all steps together. Thus asking for trouble.

A New & fresh easy to follow step-by-step guide would be perfect. Once written it could become a locked thread?

I understand that the keyboard requires the xwTweak to lock the screen in portrait to stop the keyboard crashing the phone? - OR has an update been created that allows the screen keyboard to be rotatable?

Anyway, I look forward to your help.
    Al
    Happy to Oblige Mr-Scorp!

~~~~
    For Pre3, use VKB-1.1.6 - Attached below.
    (For Veer, use VKB-1.1.5 - Attached below).
    Added - xwtweak_0.2.0_all - Attached below.

This guide assumes you have already used & installed 'WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.0'.
    Please ignore inverted commas --> ' <-- when typing the commands etc below.
    ~~~~
    ##1). For Pre3:
    A):
    Download and Unzip the attached folder 'VKB-1.1.6.zip'
    Contains two files:
    1). 'Enabling Keyboard on Pre3' ('.patch' file).
    2). 'VKB' ('.sh' file).
    B):
    1). First, install 'Enabling Keyboard on Pre3' by dragging it into the WOSQI window & clicking 'Install'.
    2). Then install 'VKB' by using WOSQI 'Send File'.
    Send 'VBK' to '/'
    3). Finally, using WOSQI 'Linux Command Line' - type: '/VKB.sh' and press 'Enter'.
    C):
    1). Do a Luna (or full) 'Restart'.
    2). When rebooted, gesture-slide-up really SLOWLY from bottom of screen to bring up VKB.
    ~~~~
    ##2). For Veer:
    A):
    Download and Unzip the attached folder 'VKB-1.1.5.zip'
    Contains two files:
    1). 'luna.conf' ('.patch' file).
    2). 'VKB' ('.sh' file).
    B):
    1). First, install 'luna.conf' by dragging it into the WOSQI window & clicking 'Install'.
    Send 'VBK' to '/'
    3). Finally, using WOSQI 'Linux Command Line' - type: '/VKB.sh' and press 'Enter'.
    C):
    2). When rebooted, gesture-slide-up really SLOWLY from bottom of screen to bring up VKB.
    ~~~~
    Hope this helps & is clear enough!
    Enjoy..
    It is fast & pleasant to use ~ and can also save your precious slide-out from getting unnecessarily hammered!.

Be REALLY nice to have an *Audio Click* for each VKB key-press too, if anyone is qualified to produce this patch?

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/30/2014 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Formatting.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Preemptive likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Hi Mutoidi.
    Many thanks for this !
    Alas WOSQI seems to be playing up (see my new thread).....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Happy to Oblige Mr-Scorp!

~~~~
    For Pre3, use VKB-1.1.6 - Attached below.
    (For Veer, use VKB-1.1.5 - Attached below).

This guide assumes you have already used & installed 'WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.0'.
    Please ignore inverted commas --> ' <-- when typing the commands etc below.
    ~~~~
    ##1). For Pre3:
    A):
    Download and Unzip the attached folder 'VKB-1.1.6.zip'
    Contains two files:
    1). 'Enabling Keyboard on Pre3' ('.patch' file).
    2). 'VKB' ('.sh' file).
    B):
    1). First, install 'Enabling Keyboard on Pre3' by dragging it into the WOSQI window & clicking 'Install'.
    Send 'VBK' to '/'
    C):
    ~~~~
    ##2). For Veer:
    A):
    Download and Unzip the attached folder 'VKB-1.1.5.zip'
    Contains two files:
    1). 'luna.conf' ('.patch' file).
    2). 'VKB' ('.sh' file).
    B):
    1). First, install 'luna.conf' by dragging it into the WOSQI window & clicking 'Install'.
    Send 'VBK' to '/'
    C):
    ~~~~
    Hope this helps & is clear enough!
    Enjoy..
    It is fast & pleasant to use ~ and can also save your precious slide-out from getting unnecessarily hammered!.

Be REALLY nice to have an *Audio Click* for each VKB key-press too, if anyone is qualified to produce this patch?

Thanks!
    I'd still love to use this, but losing the wave launcher is a deal breaker for me. Any way to have both?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    nope - I seem to recall there is (was) a keyboard app for the Pre 'Quickkeys' or something like that. I did download it but find this easier to use.

The app works like a normal app and can runin the background as a service, but I souldn't get rid of the item in the notification area.

Found it New App: Quick-Keys Keyboard (QWERTY & AZERTY & QWERTZ)
    Last edited by MikeN68; 08/29/2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: found app thread
    Yep, I have quick-keys, looking for something that could be opened easier.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Only this VKB - but you do lose the wave launcher. Not really a big loss as you have Just Type... instead with access to all of the apps, not just 4 or 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I'd still love to use this, but losing the wave launcher is a deal breaker for me. Any way to have both?
    I don't think so ~ it's one or the other! But for me pop-up VKB wins hands down over wavey-launcher anyday!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I've always been afraid to touch the VKB because of all of the issues I've seen posted. I'm sure more people have not had issues than have.. Right? I guess at the very least I can try it out on one of my DEV devices.

Sent using WebOS Nation mobile app
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I've always been afraid to touch the VKB because of all of the issues I've seen posted. I'm sure more people have not had issues than have.. Right? I guess at the very least I can try it out on one of my DEV devices.

Just don't turn to landscape - unless you have installed the no rotate patch & xwtweak!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post

I loved the old one for 1.4.5 since it can go landscape.
    Had the vkb on my pre2 but it was crashing too often if I type too fast ...maybe the accelerometer was triggering or something.
    Anyway dusted off the old installs and loaded xwTweak. I think I have all the scripts and patches on my hdd so I can give it a try with the rotation lock.
    Doesn't work for me! Not sure what's going on... when I drag the patch into WOSQI and hit install, I don't think it's installing (isn't what you see in the install window supposed to go away after a successful install? Because it's not..) When I do 'Send File' that seems to work. But when I try Linux Command Line nothing happens. I've tried over and over again, no luck. Frustrating. What could be wrong here?

Using an AT&T unlocked Pre 3 and WOSQI 4.5.0

p.s. Everything else I've installed has always worked fine, so this has me puzzled..
    The virtual keyboard patch is all respects the best keyboard solution ever, even with the landscape problem.

Its the only one that behaves like the real keyboard. It is especially useful for launching apps and quick texts, or for when using the slider would be a little awkward. Only it doesn't perform some advanced functions like shift+backspace to delete a word, which does work on touchpad.

It rarely crashes on me because of rotation, I have the xw tweak patch and I have learned to be aware of this when its active and I VERY rarely ever turn my phone sideways, I just hate it. It crashes once in a blue moon, something to do with the option key or something in that area, not sure.
  14.    #14  
    There seems to be a problem with WOSQI - Dragging the patch onto the install window, when pressing 'install', the pop up window appears, but the install doesn't complete..

ALSO, & this may be part of the problem, BOTH WOSQI AND PREWARE on the phone, CANNOT access the software repository at the moment?
    Does anyone know what is going on?
    Al
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    There seems to be a problem with WOSQI - Dragging the patch onto the install window, when pressing 'install', the pop up window appears, but the install doesn't complete..

ALSO, & this may be part of the problem, BOTH WOSQI AND PREWARE on the phone, CANNOT access the software repository at the moment?
    Does anyone know what is going on?
    Al
    Yes, hopefully a 'related issue'.
    See: Error: Feed loading failed

Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/30/2014 at 03:50 AM.

I'm a little late to the party with this... But this is the coolest thing I have ever seen. I love my Veer even more now.
    MikeN68 likes this.