Like Tree14Likes
  • 9 Post By Xeron
  • 3 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Sukiyaki
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I love my Pre 3, but the screen never fully recovered from its ride in the washing machine. The HP logo has totally fallen out of the back, and the back cover has lots of cracks and doesn't close properly. There is also a crack in the top of the plastic that surrounds the screen. It is with a heavy heart that I will soon retire my beloved Pre 3. I have just placed an order for a new phone :-(

Its a mint condition replacement Pre 3 off eBay ;-) Not ready to jump ship just yet...
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    You didn't fool me for a second.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Ahh man... its so great having one in as-new condition again. Especially since this one hasn't been for a ride in the washing machine.

The screen seems brighter, the network is definitely faster. Its awesome!

Just tinged with sadness that HP ditched this thing :-(
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    you lost any apps that arent on the catalogue anymore or did you get lucky and/or had backups?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Hmmm... Nothing that I'd miss at least..
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    wow.. I had forgotten how absolutely awful the included headphones are! I don't think they are designed for human ears!
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I know how you feel. My current Pre 3 I've been using for 3 years has had one drop too many so I just moved to my final backup device. I'll have to decide what to do when this one dies. If it wasn't for the superb homebrew support the decision wouldn't be so hard. Even if someone came up with a new phone, it would probably not be a Verizon device.

Anyone have a gut feeling when Verizon, etc. go to voice over LTE (no longer CDMA) whether phones will become universal or not?
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I have two Pre3 both working, the second I bought just as a backup, but now I'm not sure anymore, this OS is dead, forum is nearly dead, apps are scarce and outdated, now I'm getting the "full database" error AGAIN.. can you see where I'm going? Any reason why I shouldn't genuinely say "Well, thats it, I'm replacing my Pre 3..."??
    God I wish webOS hadn't been discontinued can't actually be bothered to learn a new OS..
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    I am interested in the small circuit assembly holding the SIM card reader: my wife destroyed some SIM contacts and "desoldered" the metal cover so I can used it anymore to connect to GSM network.

Do you plan to sell your pre3 or parts of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I have two Pre3 both working, the second I bought just as a backup, but now I'm not sure anymore, this OS is dead, forum is nearly dead, apps are scarce and outdated, now I'm getting the "full database" error AGAIN.. can you see where I'm going? Any reason why I shouldn't genuinely say "Well, thats it, I'm replacing my Pre 3..."??
    God I wish webOS hadn't been discontinued can't actually be bothered to learn a new OS..
    I'm kinda on the same boat now. A while ago, I bought a dead Pre 3 as spares to keep mine running, but I missed one very important part: the battery. I bought a Mugen, and used both the original plus the battery that came with the dead phone, happily ran for some time, until I lost one of them. Now both the Mugen and the original are starting to swell and heat up from all these years' use, and it might be becoming a safety concern.

And the bigger challenge: finding a phone I want to replace it with. I don't want a slate (which comprise of every damn phone out there today), I NEED a keyboard (no amount of convincing would get me on a virtual, I really really hate autocorrect and the idea of the keyboard recording my data to "learn" how I type) and a really, really want to retain Touchstone. So I'm thinking either getting the LG Optimus F3Q or BlackBerry Q5/Q10 and doing a Touchstone mod on them.

I mean I should be okay for now, it's a bit slow but it does its job, and it's been great the past 3 years. Longest ever I've kept a phone. But the constant overheating is rather worrying. I'm not a liar so I don't want my pants on fire.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I'm also in the same situation. Bought a Pre3 to use as my primary phone, and another one as insurance (which still sits BNIB in my closet). I managed to get a Touchstone 2 audio dock as well. But new apps dried up and old ones increasingly fail. I got the database error back in March (when it seemed that everyone got it all at once). A backup to my computer and a full erase and restore actually got it working again. I hung on through part of the summer. But I didn't want to wait for an unrecoverable disaster, so I've since moved on to a Galaxy S4 Mini. It's the same width as the Pre3,and it's about 1/2-inch taller - a decent size.
    So here I am, in what I hope is a short exile...but I have no allusions. Time to learn Android.
    EEK not a Samsung!
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    EEK not a Samsung!
    Yeah, I know. I REALLY wanted something as close in size to the Pre3 as possible. It was between the S4 Mini and the Moto X. The Moto gets much better reviews, but just had too many deal-breakers for me. If you or anyone can recommend a better choice that is no bigger than the Mini and is available on AT&T, I'm listening.
    I got nothin'.. The S4 mini is a good size - before I got a Pre3 I would have said I was too big, and in fact I thought the Pre3 would be too big until I held one. I've tried Android and iOS, and both do the job but just didn't make me happy. If my FrankenPre2 dies, I'll put the radio back in my Pre (from 2010 mind you) and try to find another Pre2 in good shape. I suppose if I was smart I'd start looking now. I don't need an extra bill or I'd use my Pre3 as my everyday phone.
    I just got a BlackBerry z30. It arrived Sunday. My pre was just too slow, by the time I was able to look something up on line, my break would be over at work. It was also leaking data badly, the last two weeks I used over 2 gigs and I normally use less than 1 the entire month. Along with the data leaks came poor battery life. To get it to charge on the touchstone I had to keep taking the back off and fixing the contacts, I just gave up and started charging by usb. I didn't want to doctor it and lose my apps or have to back them all up again and install manually. I was weighing getting another pre3, but I knew the browser situation wasn't going to improve, and I had a bit off app envy.

Hopefully BB won't go the way of webOS. The gestures are somewhat comforting and webOSesque, it has universal search, tho you have to click a search icon first. It's a on screen keyboard tho, so to get the keyboard up, you'd have to click something I guess. The auto correct is interesting. It hovers words as you type and you can swipe up to use the word. I will say it is fast. The browser is fast and the phone starts up/restarts fast. It also has a percentage countdown, so you aren't left wondering how long it will take. The menus aren't consistent tho.. settings aren't always in the same place, it could be a swipe down from the top, or one or other sides, and you can't always tell there are sub menus. It's surprisingly comfortable to hold, even tho dimension wise it is bigger than the Pre3 (also thinner). The veer was a joy to carry around. I had a wristlet/lanyard on it also. Going to the pre was difficult as far as carrying it around, I got hand fatigue easily, cramps a little in my hand. The z30 is totally comfortable to hold. Battery life is good. You can also sideload apps from amazon or google play store with ease, you don't even have to do the mods to do it they have posted on crack berry. Just go to the store and download the app, the phone will prompt you to allow 3rd party apps...and it's done. If you really want a keyboard they have a new phone called the passport coming out at the end of the month. I don't really care for the square design, but the crackberry folks are all aflutter waiting on it. I still have my tablet and am using the pre3 as a wifi device. I can't let go just yet. I'd kill to be able to charge on a touchstone tho.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    cbosdell likes this.
    I'm all for having smaller phones, but these days I seem to have an iPhone in one pocket and a Pre 3 or Veer in the other, which seems to defeat the whole purpose somewhat...
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    you lost any apps that arent on the catalogue anymore or did you get lucky and/or had backups?
    For any webOS to webOS replacers, try out MyBackup from Metaview for 1:1 backup of all apps. Short description here: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-tips-info-resources/322741-hidden-webos-tips-tricks.html
    cbosdell likes this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kcer View Post
    I am interested in the small circuit assembly holding the SIM card reader: my wife destroyed some SIM contacts and "desoldered" the metal cover so I can used it anymore to connect to GSM network.

Do you plan to sell your pre3 or parts of it?
    well, I was just going to keep hold of it as a backup phone as it still works... Sorry.