Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GoJoe2
  1.    #1  
    I picked up my first Pre3 on Verizon a little over a year ago, just switched to a second one a few months ago. The first one had signal problems, no signal bars where other phones did, switching fixed that. But I've had some issues that have bugged me since day 1, just want to see if there's anyway to improve or fix these:
    1. Calendar-I use the Ubercalender patch and cannot live without it (had it since my Pre2), but when I tap a time to enter an event, the spelling autocorrect doesn't work-for stock things (u=you, i=I, etc) or for ones I have saved. Also, repeating events with reminders fail, I have an event at 1, with a 20 minute before reminder and it simply never goes off. Happens to random events, some work, some don't.
    2. I know there's an issue with memory, but I can't use the browser without the whole phone slowing to a crawl, forget about it if I get an email while using the browser-it may take several minutes to respond at all. Music Remix and Navit do the same, it is not possible to use any of those three apps (and others, but these seem to be the worst) at the same time.

Two issues I'm having with this unit:
    3. The battery dies around 17%, with a mugen 1400 or the stock battery.
    4. Double key entries, random, affects all keys, doubling whatever I type.

I cannot stand Google and will not use a phone that lets them know everything I say, read and do and I cannot use a touchscreen (my TouchPad nearly drives me crazy when I don't use the bluetooth keyboard!), so the iPhone/WP8 are out and it seems pointless to jump from a sunk ship (webOS) to a sinking ship (Blackberry), I want the Pre3 to work, it's great for me in every other way.
    Any suggestions?
    TIA
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Sounds like you got another dud. Was it new? My new Pre3 (when i had it) did not do what you describe. I had some Bluetooth and Pandora issues. Everything else was snappy.

You could try redoctoring, possibly to a different version earlier or later just to test if any behaviors change.

If you are on Verizon, maybe pre2 will do until you find another pre3 worth switching to?
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I picked up my first Pre3 on Verizon a little over a year ago, just switched to a second one a few months ago. The first one had signal problems, no signal bars where other phones did, switching fixed that. But I've had some issues that have bugged me since day 1, just want to see if there's anyway to improve or fix these:
    1. Calendar-I use the Ubercalender patch and cannot live without it (had it since my Pre2), but when I tap a time to enter an event, the spelling autocorrect doesn't work-for stock things (u=you, i=I, etc) or for ones I have saved. Also, repeating events with reminders fail, I have an event at 1, with a 20 minute before reminder and it simply never goes off. Happens to random events, some work, some don't.
    2. I know there's an issue with memory, but I can't use the browser without the whole phone slowing to a crawl, forget about it if I get an email while using the browser-it may take several minutes to respond at all. Music Remix and Navit do the same, it is not possible to use any of those three apps (and others, but these seem to be the worst) at the same time.

Two issues I'm having with this unit:
    3. The battery dies around 17%, with a mugen 1400 or the stock battery.
    4. Double key entries, random, affects all keys, doubling whatever I type.

I cannot stand Google and will not use a phone that lets them know everything I say, read and do and I cannot use a touchscreen (my TouchPad nearly drives me crazy when I don't use the bluetooth keyboard!), so the iPhone/WP8 are out and it seems pointless to jump from a sunk ship (webOS) to a sinking ship (Blackberry), I want the Pre3 to work, it's great for me in every other way.
    Any suggestions?
    TIA
    Are you using Uberkernel? That fixed some slowdown issues for me.

I have never seen issue 3 or 4.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    Are you using Uberkernel? That fixed some slowdown issues for me.

I have never seen issue 3 or 4.
    What profile are you using? I had a custom one, but I admit to not fully understanding it.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  5.    #5  
    After reading in the Govnah Help that some devices may hang at frequencies below 500MHz in the min frequency setting, I bumped it up to 768 (from 245.76 which I had it set to before) and it hasn't locked up since. But now my battery is draining more quickly (a trade off I'll GLADLY accept!), the next lowest setting is 368.64, can anyone explain the gap in options?
    Anything else I can tinker with in Govnah to extend battery time?
    TIA!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    The Mugen Battery issue is not uncommon. Read the threads here. You might consider a replacement. I will post a details analysis of mugen battery performance and problems soon. The bottom line: You will never see a 0, 1 or 2 % with a mugen battery. It will always crash before reaching such low battery level!

best jörg
    ananimus likes this.
    The repeating keys issue hit me too. Was after my daily driver 3 aged a bit. My newish backup 3 doesn't do it. So think that's just a hardware fatigue thing. Though it doesn't happen to all my keys, there are many.

Your memory issues seem strange though. I've only seen behavior that extreme when the battery's getting super flaky. This is hard to describe. Sometimes it seems like the power management loses track, then the whole phone acts weird. It'll freeze, choke, eventually completely freeze.

If I swap to a fresh battery or can manage to do a full recharge cycle (which can be hard if it won't stay stable long enough to deplete the battery) it seems to clear up. This can get progressively worse for one battery though. I've gone through two generic replacement batteries to remedy this already.