1.    #1  
    Hi,

For a while my PRE3 has begun to restart several times a day - very frustrating. When attached to the Tuchstone it doesn't do it nearly as often. I live in Sweden and went to vacation in Ireland and therfore disabled Data Roaming and the PRE stopped reloading! When back in Sweden it immediately stated relaoding again. I then turned off Data Usage and just use WiFi - and my PRE3 stopped reloading again. So - any suggestions on what to do? I have Telia as Telco.

//Dennis
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimonse View Post
    Hi,

For a while my PRE3 has begun to restart several times a day - very frustrating. When attached to the Tuchstone it doesn't do it nearly as often. I live in Sweden and went to vacation in Ireland and therfore disabled Data Roaming and the PRE stopped reloading! When back in Sweden it immediately stated relaoding again. I then turned off Data Usage and just use WiFi - and my PRE3 stopped reloading again. So - any suggestions on what to do? I have Telia as Telco.

//Dennis
    From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Actually it could be. You might have better luck with another version of webOS. You could try 2.2.0, 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 to see if there's any difference. Forcing data to 3G or 2G might work as well, I read this somewhere here in the forum. I believe AU users on Telstra had similar issues.
    Hi Herrie,

I tried to forcing to 3G = same rebooting, and then to 2G = no rebooting!
    So it seems to me that the 3G code in PRE3 doesn't cope with modern 3G, right?
    Is there anyone out here that can come up with a solution/fix?

//Dennis
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimonse View Post
    Hi Herrie,

I tried to forcing to 3G = same rebooting, and then to 2G = no rebooting!
    So it seems to me that the 3G code in PRE3 doesn't cope with modern 3G, right?
    Is there anyone out here that can come up with a solution/fix?

//Dennis
    Not really a solution, but may be an acceptable workaround:
    As this issue only seems to happen when the connection has been idle for a little while, when I was using a Pre3 (on Telstra - Australia) I used modeswitcher and to set the data to 2g when the screen was off, then back to 3g when the screen was on.

This worked for me in general as it let me use 3g when I needed it (although not so good a solution if you use your Pre3 as a hotspot).

Ben
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    Not really a solution, but may be an acceptable workaround:
    As this issue only seems to happen when the connection has been idle for a little while, when I was using a Pre3 (on Telstra - Australia) I used modeswitcher and to set the data to 2g when the screen was off, then back to 3g when the screen was on.

This worked for me in general as it let me use 3g when I needed it (although not so good a solution if you use your Pre3 as a hotspot).

Ben
    Hi Ben,

I've never used Modeswitcher, so could you please describe the steps to achieve what you did?

//Dennis
    I have reboot issues whenever I use Mobile Hotspot. As for simultaneous reboots, those I haven't had those for a long time.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I'll try and write some instructions in the next day or two.
    Ben
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I exported (have to export to google docs) and tried to download and attach to this forum post, but got an error that the file was invalid, so here's the link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7n...it?usp=sharing

See if you can copy it to your google docs and import to mode switcher. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll give you the manual settings.

Ben

Edit - I noticed when I downloaded the file it changed the asterisk in the filename (which seems to be a default) to an underscore, not sure if that matters or not when trying to import.
  8.    #8  
    I exported (have to export to google docs) and tried to download and attach to this forum post, but got an error that the file was invalid, so here's the link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7n...it?usp=sharing

See if you can copy it to your google docs and import to mode switcher. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll give you the manual settings.

Ben

Edit - I noticed when I downloaded the file it changed the asterisk in the filename (which seems to be a default) to an underscore, not sure if that matters or not when trying to import.
    Hi Ben,

The Mode switcher can't find the doc in google docs, does it have to be a specific name or map? I tried both with and without the asterix and the app didn't find anything..

//Dennis
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    OK, so here are the manual instructions:

1. Edit the default mode to have the settings you want when you have the screen on (eg, Wifi = Enabled, Data = enabled, Network Type = Automatic etc)
    2. Add a custom mode - I called mine "Screen Off", Preferences - Mode Type = Normal, Automation - Auto Start = Immediate, Auto Close = Immediate
    3. Add a Trigger for the custom mode: Behaviour - Required = All Triggers, Activation Triggers - Display State = Locked, Wifi Network state = Disconnected (I did this as I had wifi enabled)
    4. Set settings for the custom mode: Network Type = 2G Only

See how that goes.

If I haven't given you enough info, let me know and I will try and work out how to take screen shots on the phone.

Ben
  10.    #10  
    OK, so here are the manual instructions:

1. Edit the default mode to have the settings you want when you have the screen on (eg, Wifi = Enabled, Data = enabled, Network Type = Automatic etc)
    2. Add a custom mode - I called mine "Screen Off", Preferences - Mode Type = Normal, Automation - Auto Start = Immediate, Auto Close = Immediate
    3. Add a Trigger for the custom mode: Behaviour - Required = All Triggers, Activation Triggers - Display State = Locked, Wifi Network state = Disconnected (I did this as I had wifi enabled)
    4. Set settings for the custom mode: Network Type = 2G Only

See how that goes.

If I haven't given you enough info, let me know and I will try and work out how to take screen shots on the phone.

Ben
    Hi Ben!

It seems as if your instructions led me correct !

And I've tried it for a couple of hour and it seems to ease my issues - thanks!

But if someone can sort of the cause of the issue and maybe provide a fix I think the community would be thankful.

//Dennis
    Hi Ben!

It seems as if your instructions led me correct !

And I've tried it for a couple of hour and it seems to ease my issues - thanks!

But if someone can sort of the cause of the issue and maybe provide a fix I think the community would be thankful.

//Dennis
    This would probably require a modem firmware fix. I doubt that will ever happen :'(

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Great tip Benh, solve my problem too.
    Thanks.