Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By VasTheGreek
  • 1 Post By VasTheGreek
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I'm moving on from my Pre 3 to a Galaxy S4 Mini (I think) today. I've used PalmOS and webOS devices since 2001. I still have my TouchPad and an old Pixi that I use as mainly as desktop clocks, and occasionally as "iPods" (or maybe I should say "wPods"? ), so I wont be abandoning webOS completely. However...no more day-to-day use.
    I've backed up my device (pics, music, etc.) and emailed databases (gas mileage, RSS feeds, radio URLs, etc.) to myself. I slowly converted all my HP Profile calendar events/meetings to Google over the summer. Contacts wont be a problem.
    I'd like to keep the Pre 3 as a wi-fi PDA. I know this has been discussed frequently on here, but I would appreciate any advice. I'm putting it in Airplane Mode before removing the (AT&T) sim card. Will it function without a sim? I don't mind if it gets wiped, but will it function without a sim if I turn on wi-fi? Of course I still have WOSQI on my computer.
    Also, I have no experience with Android, so any advice there is welcome also.
    It's been a great ride, and I hope one day to return to webOS on a daily basis -- perhaps an LG device? perhaps this new HP smartwatch? I'll still be on these forums lurking about and occasionally posting as usual. Look for me on the Android forums as well, soon!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Ya held on well. I'm on Android right now (not the amazing OS the fans say it is) and it's OK. Feel free to ask questions over on our AndroidCentral site. There are lots of members of this site who are there too and you'll get lots of help
    As long as you don't perform a hard reset you will be able to use the 3 as a wifi device. As for the Android platform, it's really not that bad. I went to Windows Phone in '12 and alternate between it and Android frequently. I doubt we'll ever see our beloved OS in its last iteration but you'll be pleased to find that a lot of the features we were hooked on have found their way to Android. Could it be that Matias Duarte makes his home at Google now? Hmm, I wonder.
    Last edited by fatclue_98; 08/02/2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Stupid auto-correct
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    ...Could it be that Matias Duarte makes his home at Google now? Hmm, I wonder.
    I did expect a LOT more webOS ideas brought into Android by Duarte over the years, but it still feels disjointed. <sigh>
    scjjtt likes this.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    As long as you don't perform a hard reset you will be able to use the 3 as a wifi device.
    Just one quick question. My S4 Mini has a new sim card, so they left the old one in the Pre 3 (deactivated?). I had and still have it in Airplane Mode. If I turn on wi-fi, will it wipe everything or will the apps and data remain? Will I still be logged in to my profile? (Ok, that's two questions, sorry).

Everything important is backed up, so either way is ok with me. Just wanted to know what to expect.
    -carldc

PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I did expect a LOT more webOS ideas brought into Android by Duarte over the years, but it still feels disjointed. <sigh>
    I'm obviously very new to Android, but I'm already getting the same feeling. Not nearly the consistent, simple gestures that webOS offers.
    -carldc

Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    Just one quick question. My S4 Mini has a new sim card, so they left the old one in the Pre 3 (deactivated?). I had and still have it in Airplane Mode. If I turn on wi-fi, will it wipe everything or will the apps and data remain? Will I still be logged in to my profile? (Ok, that's two questions, sorry).

Everything important is backed up, so either way is ok with me. Just wanted to know what to expect.
    Everything will be fine if you turn wi-fi on. I've had mine like that for the last year since I moved to BB10 without issue. Your profile will stay logged in. The only thing that will change is you can't make/receive phone calls or txt messages.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    Everything will be fine if you turn wi-fi on. I've had mine like that for the last year since I moved to BB10 without issue. Your profile will stay logged in. The only thing that will change is you can't make/receive phone calls or txt messages.
    Cool. Thanks for the info.
    I have all sorts of webOS phones I use on wifi-only. One thing you will probably see happen since you have removed the SIM is the clock will lose time occasionally. All of my GSM units have to have the clock reset occasionally (though the Veer seems to need it less often). The ClockSync app ( https://developer.palm.com/appredire...t754.clocksync ) is the easiest way to fix the time. It has a periodic sync ability, but I have not found it to work on these devices without SIMS in them, as the clock problem prevents the scheduler from working right.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/03/2014 at 07:41 AM.
    ...unless you use google voice and then synergv will keep working ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    cbosdell likes this.
    Are those Sims different size?

If you are leaving your sim, your palm profile isn't going any where, so basically you are only losing cellular voice and data. It will report no service and attempt to reconnect, draining your battery. So set the phone in airplane mode but then manually turn on Wi-Fi. It will sniff for wifi nets to connect to automatically. You can toggle that off as needed.

If you had taken the Sim out, it would have been no big deal. That is not associated with the palm profile. Maybe just keep it in Dev mode to avoid the no Sim screen...
    Your handset will continue to work as usual other than the network connection. Use it as a Pandora source for your bedroom or etc.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Are those Sims different size?

If you are leaving your sim, your palm profile isn't going any where, so basically you are only losing cellular voice and data. It will report no service and attempt to reconnect, draining your battery. So set the phone in airplane mode but then manually turn on Wi-Fi. It will sniff for wifi nets to connect to automatically. You can toggle that off as needed.

If you had taken the Sim out, it would have been no big deal. That is not associated with the palm profile. Maybe just keep it in Dev mode to avoid the no Sim screen...
    Your handset will continue to work as usual other than the network connection. Use it as a Pandora source for your bedroom or etc.
    They put a new sim in the Galaxy, so I still have the old one (deactivated) in the Pre 3. What you suggested is exactly what I did -- put it in airplane mode and then enabled wi-fi. It seems to be cranking along just fine -- hasn't missed a beat! I've been using an old Pixi in my study as a clock/alarm/mp3 player, but it doesn't have wi-fi so it's completely "mute". The Pre 3 with wi-fi will be a big improvement. I have a touchstone 2 audio dock, so using it with some speakers hooked up might make for a good small-room music player.

Speaking of that, out of curiosity, I put the Galaxy (S4 Mini) on the touchstone 2 -- and of course it didn't hold magnetically or charge, but it DID go into something that looked like an exhibition mode. The screen went black with the time/date in white text at the top. Does it every time I touch it to any touchstone (orig. or audio). Just thought that was interesting. I wouldn't mind adapting the Galaxy to use a Touchstone if possible.
    -carldc

I recently moved to a wp8 Lumia 930 device. I wanted a better cam, some apps that were missing and a bit more polished product. My Pre3 had developed cracks in 3 places on the back plate and although I did buy one off ebay recently for 50 I could not spent 2 days re-installing all patches, apps, etc etc. I was also after a new contract (4G & better cover) and the 930 was free (plus cashback) on a new contract.

I have had my windows phone for almost 2 weeks now and I have noticed a few things that I still think the Pre3 is still awesome about. I got small hands so for a start the Pre3 was a perfect fit. However the 930 comes with an awesome camera and a really good battery life (so far).

But things I miss on webOS. The Skype integration. I call abroad often and webOS was offering an option to use my carrier OR Skype when it was detecting a foreign number. Absolutely AWESOME !!!!

Also I am using my phone in the car. The Pre3 had the power button in the top right (in the right place really) away from the grips from the car holders. You can access the screen, unlock it etc.

I also use my Exhibition mode. So far I have not found a way to keep the Lumia screen unlocked while a certain app is running. Maybe I haven't looked at the right place but I do not think it is supported. It's either on or off for all of them.

I have found some really good things that the wp8 device has compared to webOS but I am not here to embrace wp8. I do miss webOS and how open it has been. I am hoping LG release a new device in the future and I will be back.

I am still keeping both my Pre3s (cracked and new) and Touchpad and hopefully I will be back soon one day.

Vas
    purplepansy likes this.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Great minds think alike! I also have a TouchPad and two Pre 3s, used and new. I didn't go to wp8 only because I couldn't find the right size phone (I like them small).
    The Pre 3 has its shortcomings (memory full...argh!), but it is a good little phone and webOS is still a great OS. I hope I can return to it full time some day. In the meantime though, I'm learning to speak Android!
    I found Android too fragmented and I HATE the UI !!! It's ugly...I don't know...I just hate it...
    It has the largest share on the market which probably means most apps etc...
    But I wanted a great experience. Like what webOS gave us and I couldn't find that on Android.
    I did consider FirefoxOS, but too little interest at the moment.

Being a .Net developer I was also interested in writting an app for fun for wp8.

You are right about the phone size. There are some smaller wp8 phones but thr 930 is 6" and as I was switching between that and the Pre3 my eyes were hurting cause the Pre3 was too small and my hands were hurting cause the 930 is too big...

I seriously hope we see an LG device with webOS v4 or whatever...
    It will be hard for them to compete with Android, iOS and wp8 for sales...
    Also not sure if you know but Microsoft made windows 8 FREE on any device smaller than 10" or 8" I can't remember. So they are trying to get other companies to use their OS free of charge on non-Nokia devices to get a bigger share in the market.

Time will tell but I still think even now if it wasn't for the lack of apps and a few hickups (synergy syncing speed for example) webOS is still advanced in multitasking than any of the other 3 main OS's.

Vas
    purplepansy likes this.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    You should get the Moto X. Best phone out there. The touchless control and all the things it does it does well. For me, it was smooth switch to Android with this phone. I have used android in the past, but never liked it until Moto X
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    You should get the Moto X. Best phone out there. The touchless control and all the things it does it does well. For me, it was smooth switch to Android with this phone. I have used android in the past, but never liked it until Moto X
    I can't really disagree... That's the one the sales rep recommended to me. All the research I did suggests that you are right. Better screen; Kit Kat as opposed to Jelly Bean (for now, anyway), etc. However, there were a few things about the Moto X I just couldn't get past. First, it has no SD card slot (which is one thing I missed moving from Treo to Pre many years ago). Second, it doesn't have a removable battery (and there's just something reassuring about a last-resort battery pull - not to mention spare batteries). Lastly, it is bigger than the S4 Mini. Not by much, but it is noticeable to me. I always thought the Pre 3 was just the right size for me. The S4 Mini is a bit taller, but it is almost exactly the same width, and it has a more rounded shape like the Pre line. That's just my personal preference. All in all, I'm happy with the hardware.

I will admit to goofing in one respect. It looks like the S4 Mini is the ONE recent Galaxy phone WITHOUT easy wireless charging. A universal wireless charger placed inside the cover would sacrifice the USB port (yes, it's less necessary with wireless charging, but still a big hassle to access if the USB ever is needed), and would block NFC. There is a workaround, but altogether, it seems like a too much to deal with. I don't know, I may try it anyway.

In any case, while I do wish we could all talk about our neat LG Pre 4s, if that's not gonna happen, I'm ok with what I got.
    -carldc

Windows Phone has been moving backwards recently in terms of polish and design while Android never really had it. You probably wouldn't want to move over to Blackberry to avoid the drama that has defined the webOS experience, hence the iPhone is probably the best if boring choice. It has borrowed quite a bit from webOS, and I'm quite enjoying the experience although I also now have a q10, but wouldn't recommend it to others (although I personally love it).
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    First, it has no SD card slot (which is one thing I missed moving from Treo to Pre many years ago).
    I thought it would be an issue with me, but with the online storage it really made it a mute point. I too used it with my Treo 650, Treo 800, and my FrankenPre2. I got the 16 gig version (only one I could get on Sprint at the time) and I have never got it full. Stream my music instead of loading it up with MP3. I dump the pictures off of it once but have not done so in 9 months (I take a lot of them). For apps, I just keep the ones I need. I don't have many games on it because that will eat up the 16 gigs. If you get the 32 gigs, you will have plenty of space.

Second, it doesn't have a removable battery (and there's just something reassuring about a last-resort battery pull - not to mention spare batteries).
    After one year, I have not had much of a drop off in battery power. The one thing that kills it is your reception. Since I have Sprint, it bounces in and out of good and poor coverage which eats away the battery. I do have a charger pack on the side, but I usually get 16 or so hours with moderate usage. I do wish it had wireless charging but I think it was dropped due to the Google Wallet. That works great so I don't miss the wireless charging that much (but I would love to see it when it comes out)

Lastly, it is bigger than the S4 Mini. Not by much, but it is noticeable to me. I always thought the Pre 3 was just the right size for me. The S4 Mini is a bit taller, but it is almost exactly the same width, and it has a more rounded shape like the Pre line. .
    The size and shape to me is great. It feels good in the hand. I was checking out other smaller phones but when I noticed the size of the phone was shorter than an slid Pre but thinner, it felt good. I liked the S4 Mini shape and size as well, but the vanilla android was a much better interface than the window dressings that Samsung puts on the phone. If I were to get a Galaxy, I would blow the ROM and install CM11 on it.

Now, my biggest complain of the Moto X was the camera. It is slow and not the greatest but you can still manage to get decent pictures. I am looking forward to the X+1 when it comes at the end of this month. It will be a tad (5.1" 1080p screen vs 4.7 inch 720p) bigger screen and 2900 battery instead of 2600. The Notifications on it on the lock screen are changing as well. They will be displaying across the top (it sounds like how webOS did it from the bottom, then again the same guy who did the UI is doing android now).

One other thing, you can custom build the Moto X. There are several wood backs that you can get along with a bunch of other colors. You can customize the buttons, and upgrade the memory.

Another good feature of the Moto X is the wrap around glass on the front of the camera. it's very durable and last year when the tested Iphone 5s, Galaxy s5, HTC One, and Moto X, the X was rated the most durable phone from resisting damage.

Good luck in choosing your phone.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I would also recommend the Moto X. The size, ease of use and the fact it just works make it the best and most comfortable Android phone I have ever used. I used Android before moving to webOS. Had the original droid but found myself in envy of my wife's pre. We became a webOS household with pre's and Touchpads.

Lamenting the loss of webOS support and applications, we switched to Android with the Moto X and installation of Android on our TP's. For us it was the right choice and are very pleased with the ability to sync between our phones, touchpads, and computers. Still miss webOS but in reality Android has made things much simpler and increased the ease of being productive.
    Pre 2, TouchPad 32