Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jrgutierrez
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone,
    Last month My Pre3 around the 24th of June, decided to eat through over 800MB of my 1GB monthly traffic allowance over a single night without me doing any browsing (I was asleep) & just a couple of email headers coming in.

Whist it is doing this, it of course zaps the battery.

Since the last thread, i HAVE installed the Google sync update patch, which is now syncing my contacts fine again.

Well it's doing it again..

I really want to nail down the rogue f*cker process that is doing this!

IS THERE an app, that not only MEASURES your data traffic input AND Output, BUT ALSO TELLS YOU WHICH Process(s) IS GENERATING the data traffic?. So that you can KILL / Uninstall the *******!!?

Sorry for my language but this is pissing me off.
    Cheers
    Al.
    Last edited by mr-scorpio; 07/26/2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: change title
  2.    #2  
    121 views & NO replies? - Is there an APP that MEASURES data traffic?
    I don know but you can try turning off automatic backup for a while to see of that helps. Especially since you say it happens at night. Launch the back up app and turn it off.

At least you'll be able to rule that out.
    The netstat app in preware will measure traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a setting in modeswitcher to turn off data based on usage (but I have no idea.. I know it can turn things on and off..)
    Hi i switch off Data at night, and can still have calls and text message, but E Mails can wait till morning,
    gives you control when Data is being used and switch off backup.
  6.    #6  
    I have turned of HP's backup, & it still seems to get warm & churn data.
    As i mentioned in the other thread, the weird thing is that this only started Last Month... My Pre3 had been functioning flawlessly (minus the FB drag in updating friends list), for months..
    I shall try the netstat app.
    Al
  7.    #7  
    Grrrr netstat is failing to install: with an 'unable to run command: ' (long boring path... ///) org.daemon.de.netstat_1.1.4_all.ipk 2>&1

Any ideas? - Does it need a dependency file(s)?
    Last edited by mr-scorpio; 07/28/2014 at 02:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Last month My Pre3 around the 24th of June, decided to eat through over 800MB of my 1GB monthly traffic allowance over a single night without me doing any browsing (I was asleep) & just a couple of email headers coming in.

Whist it is doing this, it of course zaps the battery.

Since the last thread, i HAVE installed the Google sync update patch, which is now syncing my contacts fine again.

Well it's doing it again..

I really want to nail down the rogue f*cker process that is doing this!

IS THERE an app, that not only MEASURES your data traffic input AND Output, BUT ALSO TELLS YOU WHICH Process(s) IS GENERATING the data traffic?. So that you can KILL / Uninstall the *******!!?

Sorry for my language but this is pissing me off.
    Cheers
    Al.
    I'm learning to hate Google, and glad that I did, since now my data traffic is 1/5 of what it typically was before June.

I moved my contacts and calendar to an outlook.com account, and now getting my Gmail as a generic email account. I removed my Google account on my Pre3, but re-added Gmail as a simple "Email Account". I added my outlook.com account as a "Microsoft Exchange" account to access my calendar and contact.

I strongly recommend this to everyone with a Gmail account, since I believe that Google is a data hog living at your expense. I will never transfer to Android.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    I'm having this problem with a Pre2. Seems to have started yesterday.

Ev won't shut off unless i put on wifi. Back up is off.

I'm wondering if a recent Google calendar alarm has something up in arms.

Guess I'll try netstat too!
    My phone has been doing the same thing the last day or two. I checked today and the google calendar sync process was eating up the CPU. I tried rebooting a couple of times, but in the end, I had to turn off my Google calendar for a while and then turn it back on. So far it has not started back up.. knock on wood. I pored over the logs and never found anything interesting.
    I noticed a problem with calendar today. I'll check and report back.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I've had a similar issue with battery drain for the last couple of days. After reading about the issues with google contacts I suspected the calendar (as I don't have google contacts enabled) and the drain was finally stopped by just relogging into the google account on my Veer.
    Ben
    Wow. In the time i was reporting my trouble shooting in new thread, you all already identified the guilty app. It definitely looks like a Google calendar issue.

What do we do? I have to restore everything i deleted now. But I'll hold off if necessary if there's a fix to be implemented first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    My phone has been doing the same thing the last day or two. I checked today and the google calendar sync process was eating up the CPU.
    Checked? Where? It would be nice to recognize this with some utility rather than blindly delete accounts until the condition becomes apparent.
    From a terminal app, be in wterm on your phone, or putty or novaterm on your pc (I'm not sure it would work from a WOSQI command line) simply run the "top" command and it will display a process list with a bunch of numbers in columns along with the process name (truncated if it is too long). One of the columns near the right is CPU, which is the percentage of total CPU usage it is using. It refreshes every second or so. The process name shown for google calendar sync is "endar.google.jsjsjs&$quot$;. $If$ $it$ $is$ $consistently$ $the$ $top$ $process$, $showing$ $a$ $CPU$ $percentage$ $over$ $30$, $it$ $is$ $the$ $culprit$. $If$ $i$ $had$ $thought$ $about$ $it$, $I$ $would$ $have$ $taken$ $a$ $screen$ $shot$ $to$ $post$ $here$. $To$ $exit$ $the$ $top$ $application$ $press$ $q$.

And to clarify, I didn't delete the google account, I just went into the account app and turned off the calendar for that account. When you do the back gesture to get back to the account list, it will take several minutes to leave the account detail screen - don't toss the card away or it may not save the change. After it returns, tap on the account again to make sure calendar is turned off. Let it sit a few minutes before turning it back on. You can watch the CPU frequency and Load Average in Govnah to tell when things settle down, and watch top to see when the process goes away.

Sent using WebOS Nation mobile app
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/15/2014 at 09:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    I've had a similar issue with battery drain for the last couple of days. After reading about the issues with google contacts I suspected the calendar (as I don't have google contacts enabled) and the drain was finally stopped by just relogging into the google account on my Veer.
    Ben
    That was actually the first thing I tried, but it was so busy going nuts that it actually timed out trying to authenticate (I saw the message go by in the logs) and showed 'unknown error'. You might keep an eye on it in case it does it again.
    The calendar issue I see is on the Touchpad:. The buttons at the top for various calendars. You can tap them to show or hide the particular calendar. I enable 'sub'-calendars in Google for different types of event, but there are now lot's of small buttons that I can scroll horizontally. For instance, there are lots of 'contacts birthdays' buttons. I've no idea what this is, but a guess is that every event is being synced as a separate calendar. It doesn't affect the rest of the display or function as far as I can see, but might explain the processing overhead if my totally untested theory is correct.
    Since a day or two, my Pre3 decided to go stupid...

I grabbed my phone and it was running quite hot, so checking what the problem could be, I saw that it wouldn't connect to the WIFI, tried a few things, no change, so I rebooted.

WIFI was back but now, it's started the whole synch issues with one of my email accounts.. Again, thried to redo my password, and while in the emails it would synch, but five minutes later, back to seeing the pop-up [synch with XXX].

Deleted the account and re-added it and things are back to normal.

Annoying, and it's happened about 3-4 times now in the last few months... but at least it's easily fixed.

Can't say if it's related to the problems others are having but though I'd share.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    From a terminal app, be in wterm on your phone, or putty or novaterm on your pc (I'm not sure it would work from a WOSQI command line) simply run the "top" command and it will display a process list with a bunch of numbers in columns along with the process name (truncated if it is too long). One of the columns near the right is CPU, which is the percentage of total CPU usage it is using. It refreshes every second or so. The process name shown for google calendar sync is "endar.google.jsjsjs&$quot$;. $If$ $it$ $is$ $consistently$ $the$ $top$ $process$, $showing$ $a$ $CPU$ $percentage$ $over$ $30$, $it$ $is$ $the$ $culprit$. $If$ $i$ $had$ $thought$ $about$ $it$, $I$ $would$ $have$ $taken$ $a$ $screen$ $shot$ $to$ $post$ $here$. $To$ $exit$ $the$ $top$ $application$ $press$ $q$.
    I used the top command you mentioned. I took screenshots of two different states: 1) no data or wifi connection, 2) wifi turned on.

1) no single item took up more than 10% CPU (wterm_2014-15-08_150137)

2) 'tacts.google.jsjsjs', '$endar$.$google$.$js$', $and$ '$kswapd0$' $in$ $combination$ $used$ $50$% $or$ $more$ $of$ $CPU$ % ($rest$ $of$ $screenshots$)

Does this info help? Is any of this abnormal?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkohanim View Post
    I used the top command you mentioned. I took screenshots of two different states: 1) no data or wifi connection, 2) wifi turned on.

1) no single item took up more than 10% CPU (wterm_2014-15-08_150137)

2) 'tacts.google.jsjsjs', '$endar$.$google$.$js$', $and$ '$kswapd0$' $in$ $combination$ $used$ $50$% $or$ $more$ $of$ $CPU$ % ($rest$ $of$ $screenshots$)

Does this info help? Is any of this abnormal?
    Those screen shots, except the first one, show exactly what I was seeing with the google calendar sync process. Your contact sync process was using a lot of CPU as well, which I was not seeing.. I'm not sure but I suspect kswapd0 has to do with managing swap memory. I would say the runaway process is probably also consuming a lot of memory. I would open your Google account in the accounts app, and toggle off calendar, then wait a few minutes and wait for that process to go away. Then watch the contact sync process for a bit and see if it still uses high cpu. I'm generally not one to recommend toggling google contacts off if they are your primary contact account, but the last time I did it, it did not kill my messaging conversations like removing the account altogether did. If the google contact sync process continues to use high cpu, toggle it off as well for a while. Then when both processes stop, toggle them back on one at a time, giving things a few minutes to settle down.
    TJs11thPre likes this.