1.    #1  
    For the past 2.5 years, I have been using a Pre2. I get one or two cell towers. Muffled voice quality. Sometimes, have to redial for a call to go through. Drop calls. 3G is slower than 2 G. I need a phone with stronger signal. Does the Pre3 have a stronger signal because it is larger than the Pre2?

The Treo 705p has an external antenna. Does the Treo 705p have stronger reception than Pre2 and Pre3?

Do cell carriers still activate phones with external antennas?
    Quote Originally Posted by freebirds View Post
    For the past 2.5 years, I have been using a Pre2. I get one or two cell towers. Muffled voice quality. Sometimes, have to redial for a call to go through. Drop calls. 3G is slower than 2 G. I need a phone with stronger signal. Does the Pre3 have a stronger signal because it is larger than the Pre2?

The Treo 705p has an external antenna. Does the Treo 705p have stronger reception than Pre2 and Pre3?

Do cell carriers still activate phones with external antennas?
    I don't think you can blame the model for your issues. Those sound very atypical.

The phone boosts/reduces gain depending on its reception strength, so it maintains a minimum signal without overpowering signals from other phones communicating with that same tower.

You can monitor this power level and rx/tx strength if you use the ##debug code. It takes a little research to interpret these values but you may be able to watch them and learn something about the service in your area and how your phone is responding to it.

You could check the connections to the com board. Under the battery cover, at the bottom left corner of the battery, is a small cover that can be hinged up with a pick. There are two wires under it if it is cdma. Black and white. They have a round connector with center pin, like old TV coax cable, but super tiny. They press to snap on. Review pics from a frankenpre conversion thread for close up photos for a look at this. If one came off, it could cause your issue, especially if that center pin is bent.

I think you can get boosters for your home if you life in a remote area, but this won't help with mobile quality obviously. Who's your carrier?
  3.    #3  
    TJs11thPre, thanks for your analysis. You are correct that it is very atypical. My abuser hired private investigators who are using a stingray. The stingray reduces the cell reception, distorts voice quality and reduces 3G to 2G or even 1G.

Yesterday, I gave Verizon and Page Plus the serial number of the Palm Treo 705p on Ebay. Verizon refused to activate it. Page Plus was willing. I purchased it. I will activate it upon receiving it. I will post whether its antenna can partially circumvent the stingray from reducing cell reception.
    Last edited by freebirds; 07/17/2014 at 10:47 AM.
  4.    #4  
    I am very impressed with the Treo 705p. Its external antenna gives an extra signal bar. Now one bar inside and two bars outside.

Excellent voice quality. Better voice quality than Pre2 not just due to an extra signal bar but also due to better equipment such as a better speaker. Pre2 had much better voice quality than android which is one reason why I continue using Palm. Having better voice quality than even Pre2 is a nice surprise.

Treo's keyboard is wider with larger keys than Pre2. Lighter tough. Pre2's keyboard is harder. Easier to type on Treo 705p. Screen is larger. Easier to write text messages.

Treo 705p has a preinstalled text editor that can create and edit plain text files. Pre2 did not. I wish both had a preinstalled file manager. I downloaded internalz on my Pre2 but there doesn't seem to be an app store for Treo any more.

I am glad Page Plus was able to activate it. It is a pity Verizon refuses to activate its older phones, including phones with an external antenna. Verizon profits by forcing customers to purchase new phones. I have the feeling there are other reasons why Verizon is banning older phones.

Perhaps because older phones have less preinstalled spyware and fewer preinstalled apps running in the background. Treo's battery lasts much longer than android. Though I had not set up a Google account on my android, there was still considerable battery usage and data usage. I deactivated my android. I use my android as a flashlight, alarm clock and camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by freebirds View Post
    I am very impressed with the Treo 705p. Its external antenna gives an extra signal bar. Now one bar inside and two bars outside.

Excellent voice quality. Better voice quality than Pre2 not just due to an extra signal bar but also due to better equipment such as a better speaker. Pre2 had much better voice quality than android which is one reason why I continue using Palm. Having better voice quality than even Pre2 is a nice surprise.

Treo's keyboard is wider with larger keys than Pre2. Lighter tough. Pre2's keyboard is harder. Easier to type on Treo 705p. Screen is larger. Easier to write text messages.

Treo 705p has a preinstalled text editor that can create and edit plain text files. Pre2 did not. I wish both had a preinstalled file manager. I downloaded internalz on my Pre2 but there doesn't seem to be an app store for Treo any more.

I am glad Page Plus was able to activate it. It is a pity Verizon refuses to activate its older phones, including phones with an external antenna. Verizon profits by forcing customers to purchase new phones. I have the feeling there are other reasons why Verizon is banning older phones.

Perhaps because older phones have less preinstalled spyware and fewer preinstalled apps running in the background. Treo's battery lasts much longer than android. Though I had not set up a Google account on my android, there was still considerable battery usage and data usage. I deactivated my android. I use my android as a flashlight, alarm clock and camera.

Glad you found something that's providing you better reception.

Now you are back to palmOS, right? Hopefully there are still apps you can install for it and patches too. You will still have the problem with expired certificates i think. Good luck!
  6.    #6  
    TJs11thPre, thanks for wishing me good luck. I wish I had luck.

My abuser's private investigators further reduced the cell reception of my Treo. I have to go outside to talk. They tampered with WebOS by removing preferences in the menu. The first day I used Treo, I chose long ringtones for incoming phone call notification and text message notification. I chose high volume. Hackers tampered witih my preferences before removing preferences in the menu. Incoming phone calls ring only once. They had tampered my two Pre2 by putting the ringer on silence.

Initially Treo worked perfectly. In great condition for a 2006 phone. Hackers tampered with the green phone button. Now to make a call, I have to go into the menu to select phone.

Treo does not have reset to factory settings. Otherwise, I would reset it to bring back preferences and the green phone button functionality. I will continue using it. Still has the best voice quality despite the hackers muffling and breaking up voice.

I miss using a landline phone.