1.    #1  
    My second Pre 2 recently followed in the footsteps of the first, and also became "self-aware" (see Pre touching itself elsewhere in the forums)

So, glutton for punishment (I do love WebOS), I bought a "new" Pre 3 on eBay (see item# 251437059670)

However, by my perception, it doesn't really look new:

1) battery cover not completely attached
    2) battery half-charged
    3) fingerprints on screen

and worst of all, The Oreo Syndrome... there is significant wiggle in the top half of the case, and what I would consider an excessive gap on the bottom where the indentation is to pry off the back. It just feels "sloppy". I thought I heard HP addressed this with the Pre 2.

So those of you who purchased new Pre 3s...is this normal?

Thank you!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/26/2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: It's "oreo" not "oreo cookie" syndrom =]
    Quote Originally Posted by batterboy View Post
    My second Pre 2 recently followed in the footsteps of the first, and also became "self-aware" (see Pre touching itself elsewhere in the forums)

So, glutton for punishment (I do love WebOS), I bought a "new" Pre 3 on eBay (see item# 251437059670)

However, by my perception, it doesn't really look new:

1) battery cover not completely attached
    2) battery half-charged
    3) fingerprints on screen

and worst of all, The Oreo Syndrome... there is significant wiggle in the top half of the case, and what I would consider an excessive gap on the bottom where the indentation is to pry off the back. It just feels "sloppy". I thought I heard HP addressed this with the Pre 2.

So those of you who purchased new Pre 3s...is this normal?

Thank you!
    I've had 3 different Pre 3's, none of them new and never had the Oreo issue.
    The battery half charged isn't unusual, the other points are just sloppiness. I assume the seller had to do something to get them unlocked, maybe that explains it?
    Unfortunately, what we've got with the Pre3 (AT&T or Verizon) is an unreleased phone, so HP's quality control wasn't involved before we got them in our hands. It's possible the unit you have might never have been sold as it is.
    I'd say return it to the seller for another.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Mine came brand new with a broken front speaker. The QC (which I guess never happened?) on the Pre3 does not seem very good.
    My Pre3 developed a slight wiggle (top/bottom end of display-assembly towards the lower part of the Pre3 with keyboard, battery etc) after it fell from my bed, slider opened. It's noticable tapping the screen with the slider opened, however nowhere near the oreo effect my Pre and Pre2 had. The slider moves up and down about one millimeter, but there's hardly any play side to side.
    Reason for the wiggle, I suppose, is a slight dent in the sheet metal the two sliders run along. Here's an image that shows the inside of a Pre3 to hopefully make you understand what I mean despite the lack of vacabulary on my end for the parts involved.
  5.    #5  
    All great responses - very useful info.. thanks everyone!

I'm on the fence about keeping it, given the sellers liberal return policy, I thought I'd at least sync to Palm account and see what this thing can do.

Whoa!! Got some serious issues to deal with. So I'm off to search the forum and possibly create another topic.
    If this was sold to you as 'new', you were screwed over, and sold a used one that HAS been treated roughly.
    The Pre 3 has Superb build.
    My Pre3 (had for 6 months), has all edges extremely flush when closed, and the sliding action is firm & tight.
    Last edited by mr-scorpio; 06/27/2014 at 04:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    Of this was sold to you as 'new', you were screwed over, and sold a used one that HAS been treated roughly.
    The Pre 3 has Superb build.
    My Pre3 (had for 6 months), has all edges extremely flush when closed, and the sliding action is firm & tight.
    Have to agree with Scorpio here. The slider on my Pre3 was fantastic. Maybe yours is less than new?
    It could be that the back panel isn't attached firmly. Mine wiggles a bit more when that's the case.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Anyone selling a "new" Pre3 should eyed with suspicion. Tthere are not very many of those around anymore. "New - except I opened it to make sure it works," is technically used. And its very hard to know if they just turned it on, or used it for 6 months. In any case, it sounds like your device was not correctly described. If you still have the listing, double check it and contact the seller, It may have been an honest mistake. They may offer a satisfactory solution.

Otherwise, contact eBay. They may be able to help. Amazon refunded me for an item a Marketplace seller misrepresented. I got my money back, got to keep the item (meh), and Amazon took up the fight with the seller.
    I purchased a new Pre 3 (Verizon) from the same seller. Phone was brand new, but seller did pull it out of the box to install 2.2.4 on it. I think they should be legitimately new.....looks like he has a bunch more......maybe he would swap it out for you.
  11.    #11  
    Definitely appreciate the input from everyone. So I sent the Pre3 back. And after inspection by the seller, and a comparison with other stock, it was determined that the wiggle was excessive.

Have had a much nicer replacement for about a week; patched and loaded up. Made one - yeah, just 1 - Skype call to my son with the front facing camera (what sold me on the Pre3 vs. another Pre2). And haven't been able to Skype since.

I know... I've seen the other topic ...looks like Skype might be fading memory on all our devices.

Argh
    Definitely appreciate the input from everyone. So I sent the Pre3 back. And after inspection by the seller, and a comparison with other stock, it was determined that the wiggle was excessive.

Have had a much nicer replacement for about a week; patched and loaded up. Made one - yeah, just 1 - Skype call to my son with the front facing camera (what sold me on the Pre3 vs. another Pre2). And haven't been able to Skype since.

I know... I've seen the other topic ...looks like Skype might be fading memory on all our devices.

Argh
    Yes unfortunately Microsoft has decided to no longer support the SkypeKit SDK that was used to make the webOS version (and other versions as well I'm sure). I understand that they wouldn't want to maintain it but they also decided to actively block it from being used :'(

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2