Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    As per the title.
    After finally getting my Pre 3 exactly how i wanted it MONTHS ago, in the past 48hrs my Pre has started to run 'warm' - It is Feeling physically warmer compared to how it used to be, & the battery seems to be draining much faster than it used to.

It still appears to be functioning normally, & apart from the usual data streams going to & from it.. (Email, browsing data etc).. NO CHANGES have been made whatsoever in months.

When running Govnah, i don't see any difference in the CPU performance to what i've ever seen, it calms down to 122mhz as per normal, however the battery drain seems 'higher' constantly!?
    being -350 to -500+ mA ... = Is this normal?

As i said 'I' haven't personally changed or installed anything, that might cause this change...
    Dr. Battery tells me the battery is still 93% optimal.

Might someone know what might have 'changed' that is causing this drain & warming?

Look forward to your answers.
    Al
    Did you try a reboot? Simple but sometimes helps :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    Hi all,
    As per the title.
    After finally getting my Pre 3 exactly how i wanted it MONTHS ago, in the past 48hrs my Pre has started to run 'warm' - It is Feeling physically warmer compared to how it used to be, & the battery seems to be draining much faster than it used to.

It still appears to be functioning normally, & apart from the usual data streams going to & from it.. (Email, browsing data etc).. NO CHANGES have been made whatsoever in months.

When running Govnah, i don't see any difference in the CPU performance to what i've ever seen, it calms down to 122mhz as per normal, however the battery drain seems 'higher' constantly!?
    being -350 to -500+ mA ... = Is this normal?

As i said 'I' haven't personally changed or installed anything, that might cause this change...
    Dr. Battery tells me the battery is still 93% optimal.

Might someone know what might have 'changed' that is causing this drain & warming?

Look forward to your answers.
    Al
    An increase in consumption can be caused by a common degradation of cellular performance in your area, causing the phone to boost its own transmitter to compensate.

Are you seeing an odd increase in avg load in the govmah stats? It should be around 1.x when idle, but if you see it up over 5 when nothing is really running you could have some background process stuck running. Or if the swap value is high it could be a memory leak? This happens to me and i just reboot because i don't know how to fix the problem correctly, if it can be. Good luck
    run tops from terminal, see if you have an bad app using too much CPU.
    also instal Uberkernal and govnah from preware.
    Last edited by Firepower; 06/25/2014 at 04:59 PM.
    There was a time when backups was causing major problems and turning off automatic backups was the solution. But my phone was more crippled than what you describing it seems
  6.    #7  
    Ok i have some interesting news regarding this issue.

I've just discovered that my 1GB data allowance for the month has been zapped completely. as of last night.
    After speaking with my carrier, they were able to confirm that over 300MB was either downloaded/uploaded on June 23rd & over 400MB on June 24th.
    This coincides with when my phone was running hot & the battery drained quickly!!

The phone seems fine now at the moment,... However this could be either because the problem is still there, but the rogue process cannot up/down data at the moment due to being blocked by my carrier... (Although, when connecting via Wifi, the phone still seems ok now...)
    Of that the problem has mysteriously gone away.

During the entire time the phone was warm, i had NO visible apps running, and as a habit, i tend to swipe away an app once I've finished with it anyway...
    I also tried numerous reboots during this period, also only using wifi.. Yet the phone still ran 'warm' and thus squirting out data without my knowledge.

So the mystery is... WHAT was, and potentially could still cause over 800MB of data to squirt to/from my phone, WITHOUT me consciously running any kind of app that would do that?

The ONLY change that i had made recently, on Saturday the 21st, was to install a 'FREE' app from the HP App Catalog, called: "London Tube Status" by Mobileteck Inc. Could this program have embedded into it some nasty ****ware?
    I removed the app on the evening of the 24th and after rebooting, the phone started to cool down & work normally again...
    On the 25th, i was still receiving emails & the phone seemed to be back to normal, until my data quota ran out this morning.

So my questions are:
    1) Do people here know of ANY programs that either accidentally or 'deliberately', leech your data. (By the way i do NOT have ANY media on my phone (Photos, videos, music etc))).

2) Are there any free tools that i can install that MONITOR data traffic thru-put & Totals Up & Down, either Via Phone carrier OR Wifi. but importantly ALSO tell you WHAT app(s) are generating the data traffic.

I look forward to your replies & suggestions...
    How old is your Pre3 (meaning, how long have you been using it since unboxing)?

I've had my Pre3 (v2.2.4) as my daily driver for just a week short of 2 years.

I started noticing that it was running warmer a few months ago.

About one month ago, I started getting overtemp warnings while in my car, on a Touchstone, slider open, and running GuttenPodder, even though the A/C was on and the Pre3 was in the shade (this used to happen only if the sun was directly on the phone). I.e., it seemed to be getting more temp sensitive.

About a week ago, I started getting frequent "memory critical" messages (the one that tells you to throw away some cards). This was quickly followed by a significant increase in the rate of battery drain, with the battery level dropping rapidly to 0% once it dropped below 25-30%. (Curiously, sometimes a quick trip to the Touchstone would restore the battery level to 25+% in seconds; other times, it charged up at a normal rate.)

As I got more "memory critical" messages, operation slowed down drastically, despite frequent reboots (and even several battery pulls). And then there were the occasional spontaneous reboots...

I also started geting more "missed" calls for which I never heard a ring, despite having plenty of bars. (The Phone app wouldn't load?)

Today, I started getting "the application database is getting full" messages. Great.

My speculation is that I've either had a critical hardware component failure (bad RAM?) and/or there's an accumulation of cruft in the file system. I've not searched the forums for specific solutions, yet, but given the age and condition of the phone (cracked bezel, cracks in the case back) and the fact that I already have a replacement Pre3 standing by I'm somewhat disinclined to pursue it.

Bottom line: If your Pre3 has been in heavy use for an extended period of time as mine has, it's possible that what you're seeing is the beginning of the death rattle that I've been experiencing. I should note that I almost always charge on a Touchstone, even in my car. I've read speculations that Touchstone use may shorten the life of the phone due to the higher temps experienced during charging, so that may be what's happened to my Pre3--YMMV.
    Last edited by bethel95; 06/26/2014 at 10:36 AM.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre≥ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre≥ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Ok i have some interesting news regarding this issue.

I've just discovered that my 1GB data allowance for the month has been zapped completely. as of last night.
    After speaking with my carrier, they were able to confirm that over 300MB was either downloaded/uploaded on June 23rd & over 400MB on June 24th.
    This coincides with when my phone was running hot & the battery drained quickly!!

The phone seems fine now at the moment,... However this could be either because the problem is still there, but the rogue process cannot up/down data at the moment due to being blocked by my carrier... (Although, when connecting via Wifi, the phone still seems ok now...)
    Of that the problem has mysteriously gone away.

During the entire time the phone was warm, i had NO visible apps running, and as a habit, i tend to swipe away an app once I've finished with it anyway...
    I also tried numerous reboots during this period, also only using wifi.. Yet the phone still ran 'warm' and thus squirting out data without my knowledge.

So the mystery is... WHAT was, and potentially could still cause over 800MB of data to squirt to/from my phone, WITHOUT me consciously running any kind of app that would do that?

The ONLY change that i had made recently, on Saturday the 21st, was to install a 'FREE' app from the HP App Catalog, called: "London Tube Status" by Mobileteck Inc. Could this program have embedded into it some nasty ****ware?
    I removed the app on the evening of the 24th and after rebooting, the phone started to cool down & work normally again...
    On the 25th, i was still receiving emails & the phone seemed to be back to normal, until my data quota ran out this morning.

So my questions are:
    1) Do people here know of ANY programs that either accidentally or 'deliberately', leech your data. (By the way i do NOT have ANY media on my phone (Photos, videos, music etc))).

2) Are there any free tools that i can install that MONITOR data traffic thru-put & Totals Up & Down, either Via Phone carrier OR Wifi. but importantly ALSO tell you WHAT app(s) are generating the data traffic.

I look forward to your replies & suggestions...
    I know the programmer from MobileTeck personally and I'm sure he never intentionally would put anything harmful in his apps. Actually London Tube Status is open source and the source code can be found at: https://github.com/mobileteck/LondonTubeStatus

It could be it's some bug in the app that caused the data usage but I'm confident it's not on purpose.

I all of the sudden started to have Too Many Cards (TMC) errors on my Veer since yesterday. Never had these before and it seemed that the Backup app was the culprit. I manually triggered a backup, let it complete and now it seems to run normal again. I didn't install ANY apps or patches but I got TMC all of the sudden... I suspect it was the backup app.

It could be you had the same issue? Maybe HP's backup servers are unstable in recent days?
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  9.    #10  
    bethel95..

It seems our messages crossed in the post... See my message above.
    BTW, my Pre 3 is only 5 months old, & not heavily burdened... It is also in immaculate condition...
    bethel95..

It seems our messages crossed in the post... See my message above.
    BTW, my Pre 3 is only 5 months old, & not heavily burdened... It is also in immaculate condition...
    I just spotted this post on the "[Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in)" thread.

His symptoms sound a lot like yours (not as complicated as mine, though this may also be part of my answer).

Start at the link and scan down through the end of the thread for comments on what he's done to get rid of the heat problem. The guess is that the Google sync issue is causing the phone to work too hard, heating it up.

Of course, the sync issue is still a problem, but at least he's not baking his phone anymore.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre≥ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre≥ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Hmmm. I don't know about running hot, but my Pre2 suddenly got battery drain issues a while back.

I just removed the google account from it. 100% charge should last all day. We'll see...

Update: A few minutes in and it just lit up again for no reason, which was a previous symtom. Not hopeful.

And again while writing this!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/28/2014 at 08:58 AM.
    That's not it. 3 hrs later, battery at 47% (and that's a replacement mugen with more capacity). I've not used the phone.
    I installed jstop recently, that lists apps by memory usage. Not sure what the values should be at, but i can see if an app is high on the list when it shouldn't be.

I wish there was a windows like task manager. Is there? Or one of the battery monitor apps maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I installed jstop recently, that lists apps by memory usage. Not sure what the values should be at, but i can see if an app is high on the list when it shouldn't be.

I wish there was a windows like task manager. Is there? Or one of the battery monitor apps maybe?

If you shell into the device with novaterm, you can run the top command. If it's a webOS app it won't show you which one because they all run under WebAppMgr, but some stuff runs in separate processes. I *think* services get their own process.
    I had this issue a few months ago. There were two problems and the symptoms were the same - high CPU usage, short battery life.

Problem 1 (the weirder/less clear one): The phone was constantly swapping the contact images for some of my contacts - typically people I had on Skype and Gchat, when I was signed into both. I fixed this by assigning images to those contacts (more on how I knew who they were later)

Problem 2 (this was the main one, and more easily solvable): chatthreader.jsjsjs $was$ $running$, $seemed$ $to$ $be$ $recursing$ $infintitely$, $running$ $out$ $of$ $memory$ $and$ $then$ $generating$ $a$ $crash$ $report$, $which$ $would$ $get$ $sent$ $to$ $Palm$, $and$ $then$ $starting$ $all$ $over$ $again$!
    -> I think this was the result of me having a chat with myself on a different phone (testing an SMS bridge I was working on). Deleting that conversation seemed to stop chatthreader blowing up, but I also deleted some other chats that didn't have contact information...

How to debug this:
    Get a terminal on your device (eg with novaterm)
    $ novaterm
    # tail -f /var/log/messages

(optionally add "| grep error" to the end of the tail command)
    I saw lots of errors coming from chatthreader.jsjsjs

You can also look in /var/minicores to see if there are any crash dumps there.

Here's what I wrote about the contact picture problem:
    http://infobot.rikers.org/%23webos-i...140204.html.gz

Good luck!
    Jonny
    Had the same identical issue on a pre 3 that's in operation since 2011.
    The issue started maybe a week or 10 days ago, and "maybe" it just vanished today.

The culprit in my case was

tacts.google.jsjsjs

that got launched as soon as any kind of data connection was activated, and started to eat ram , buffers and swap at a very fast rate.

You will find 1 or 2 posts about rogue .jsjsjs ($normally$ $all$ $google$) $causing$ $issues$ , $but$ $only$ $to$ $very$ $few$ $people$ $and$ $for$ $no$ $apparent$ $reason$.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Had the same identical issue on a pre 3 that's in operation since 2011.
    The issue started maybe a week or 10 days ago, and "maybe" it just vanished today.

The culprit in my case was

tacts.google.jsjsjs

that got launched as soon as any kind of data connection was activated, and started to eat ram , buffers and swap at a very fast rate.

You will find 1 or 2 posts about rogue .jsjsjs ($normally$ $all$ $google$) $causing$ $issues$ , $but$ $only$ $to$ $very$ $few$ $people$ $and$ $for$ $no$ $apparent$ $reason$.
    I can tell you that your specific issue was because of the change Google made that broke contact sync. Did you install the updated gsync patch (version 1.2) or did the problem seem to pass on its own?

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I've no gsync patch installed that I can remember of, and the problem visually solved itself ...

correction

google sync fix for https is installed , version 2.2.4-1 ( installed close to 2 months ago )
    Last edited by mazzinia; 07/03/2014 at 10:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    I've no gsync patch installed that I can remember of, and the problem visually solved itself ...

correction

google sync fix for https is installed , version 2.2.4-1 ( installed close to 2 months ago )
    I recommend removing that version of the patch and installing the new one. They made same changes a few weeks ago that broke contact sync again even if you had the patch installed. It would cause the google contact sync jsjsjs $you$ $saw$ $in$ $top$ $to$ $go$ $crazy$ $sometimes$ $and$ $eat$ $up$ $the$ $CPU$. $The$ $new$ $patch$ $version$ $is$ $1$.$2$ - $unfortunately$, $when$ $you$ $install$ $a$ $patch$ $file$, $it$ $does$ $not$ $show$ $the$ $version$ # $from$ $the$ $file$, $but$ $generates$ $one$ $from$ $the$ $OS$ $version$. $I$ $think$ $I$ $may$ $put$ $the$ $version$ # $in$ $the$ $patch$ $name$.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast