Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    OK I'm going through the logs, things I find suspicious:

    pmvoicecommand - This process keeps respawning to update the contacts every two minutes, and every single time it says need to do a full update
    contactslinker - every once in a while, I see some com.palm.image/ezResize errors. Trying to download avatars and failing?
    skypem - for some odd reason Skype monitors the display status, then goes on to query for contacts?

    I'm going to carry on monitor it and see if it heats up my battery again to 47 degrees.
    Contact image errors are common I think, but I don't recall that specific error message. I have seen Skype messages before, but I can't recall offhand what they said. The voicecommand thing is interesting. I wouldn't think it would need to update contacts. If you don't use it, I'd recommend disabling it. I have done it on several devices to keep it from popping up when I plug an aux cable in the headphone jack. I just disable it but don't remove it, using these instructions: http://en.m.webos-internals.org/wiki...edirected=true
  2. #42  
    I actually do use voice dialing occasionally, especially how low my Touchstone is mounted in my car. I've experienced that issue you mentioned with the headphone triggering it, but I narrowed it down to a defective button on my headset and have since replaced that one. There's a minor issue where sometimes I tap the button to resume music and it thinks I'm trying to trigger voice dial still, but I can live with that.

    I'm more convinced now it's something to do with the A6 chip messing up, because of me swapping batteries often between my Mugen 1400 and stock 1230, and it's with when it's charging on Touchstone only. I've had it charge on my PC USB at 500mA and it doesn't seem to do that heating up thing. I also notice weird "overcharging" errors in var log message that stops the charging process, especially when the phone heats up.

    I'll try to charge by adapter one night to confirm my theory. Maybe an A6 reflash might fix it, just like how on TouchPads you need to reflash the chip to fix battery issues in Android?

    But if this doesn't fix it... it might be time to go. Touchstone is the killer feature on why I'm still staying with my Pre 3. Well that and the slider keyboard. I'm that close to getting the Relay or the F3Q.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3. #43  
    ...and just like that it decides to run again properly, just after swapping back to my half dead stock battery.

    I'm kinda lost on what the cause is.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    ...and just like that it decides to run again properly, just after swapping back to my half dead stock battery.

    I'm kinda lost on what the cause is.
    Doesn't this lead you to believe it's your after market battery?

    I don't know if this is related or indicates anything actually... BUT -

    I once put an ohm meter on my battery terminals and compared the values. I was just being curious.

    What i found was that the pins on the batteries didn't show values similarly when comparing stock black label vs the grey (probably bootleg) label.

    What i mean is, if you designated the three points A,B, and C, i was seeing different values between pins a and b, or a and c, or b and c, depending on whether it was black or grey. Not that the values should match, but like red probe on a and black probe on b was reading similar on black, and similar on grey, but not alike between them.

    So it appears to me the grey batteries were not built the same and may act differently when charging. So i stopped using all batteries with grey labels and keep them only as backup on long trips after Black's are depleted. I suspect they are causing voltage errors or conflicting with the charging protocols since my phone acted weird more often with a grey label battery.

    I'm no electrician but i expect when you compare like things they behave similarly or something is wrong. If you or anyone has an ohm meter, maybe you can duplicate and explain what i saw. But batteries can make the phone act weird so if you can find a new oem one, i recommend it.
  5. #45  
    This actually happened on my stock black battery before as well. I think it's more to do with the A6 being confused.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    This actually happened on my stock black battery before as well. I think it's more to do with the A6 being confused.
    This required an 'unlike' button.

    Some issues like this leave me frustrated, grasping for straws with battery pulls and hoping it goes away.

  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    This required an 'unlike' button.

    Some issues like this leave me frustrated, grasping for straws with battery pulls and hoping it goes away.

    Yes... and battery pulling was the way I fixed it in the past. Not sure why this time round it took a battery swap.

    Plus i used the Mugen battery for the longest time...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Contacts linker should not do anything on its own... that probably is a symptom of a contact-sync service doing havoc with the contacts which is causing activity from the linker...
    I still guess that the google contacts service is the root cause. Had this on two phones, too... Now using the C+Dav connector and those issues are gone. Better double check if the latest of Grabbers patches is installed.
    I thought about what I wrote here a bit more.. and there is one reason where contact.linker can cause a lot of havoc on itself.. more or less.. I even had this once on myself on some emulator image. Some corrupted contacts can lead to contacts.linker crashing => but activity manager has an activity with a db watch which will still be true, because linker did not update the rev-value => linker will spawn again & crash again.

    This happens in an endless loop, hammering the DB and ... everything... It stops if you reboot (did you try reboot without swapping battery once?). After that, somehow, the watches don't fire anymore (although they are still there)... UNTIL any contact is changed, which will cause a new rev and cause the watches firing again.

    Best way to check if this is really the issue might be to run contacts.linker manually from command line, do
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.service.contacts.linker/forceAutolink '{}'
    and
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.service.contacts.linker/dbUpdatedRelinkChanges '{}'
    both should just return "true" after a while. You can also watch the log during the run and have a look for errors.
    If they do not return true but some error messages => you're screwed.. (or better your contacts db).

    To resolve the issue (if that is the case), my recomondation would be:
    1. back up
    2. disable contacts for all profiles (hope you don't have your contacts in the palm profile?) => this should clear the db.
    3. best also disable / delete IM stuff, because that causes contacts, too.
    4. have a look in impostah if there is still contact stuff in the database => databases => persistent => contacts:1 and person:1 should be empty, so should be the databases of all the connectors you used (example contact.google:1 for goolge and so on... ). If you find something, delete it. (I don't take responsibility if this upsyncs.. but from my understanding of sync-endpoints this should not happen...)

    Now your device should be empty of all contacts (maybe expect sim) and uhm.. it should not happen again.

    Now you can start activating all these contact sync stuff again and wait for the contacts to come back. Maybe you do this one at a time and wait till the sync finishes... you can even run the linker yourself, again and see if it fails.
  9. #49  
    Oh no...

    Last night my Pre3 seemed to drain quickly. I put it on charge, but when I pulled the cable it was very hot - and not very charged. Overnight on the touchstone... Hot & died this morning!

    This may mean both the Pre2 & 3 are down with similar battery drain problems...

    Note: Now I have a TP & it's on the same profile as the Pre2 with no apparent problems... Yet!

    UPDATE: After the forced reboot caused by the battery expiring, it seems back to normal - panic over... For now.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/13/2014 at 01:06 PM.
  10. #50  
    You should always try turning off backups for a while to see if that helps
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I thought about what I wrote here a bit more.. and there is one reason where contact.linker can cause a lot of havoc on itself.. more or less.. I even had this once on myself on some emulator image. Some corrupted contacts can lead to contacts.linker crashing => but activity manager has an activity with a db watch which will still be true, because linker did not update the rev-value => linker will spawn again & crash again.

    This happens in an endless loop, hammering the DB and ... everything... It stops if you reboot (did you try reboot without swapping battery once?). After that, somehow, the watches don't fire anymore (although they are still there)... UNTIL any contact is changed, which will cause a new rev and cause the watches firing again.

    Best way to check if this is really the issue might be to run contacts.linker manually from command line, do
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.service.contacts.linker/forceAutolink '{}'
    and
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.service.contacts.linker/dbUpdatedRelinkChanges '{}'
    both should just return "true" after a while. You can also watch the log during the run and have a look for errors.
    If they do not return true but some error messages => you're screwed.. (or better your contacts db).

    To resolve the issue (if that is the case), my recomondation would be:
    1. back up
    2. disable contacts for all profiles (hope you don't have your contacts in the palm profile?) => this should clear the db.
    3. best also disable / delete IM stuff, because that causes contacts, too.
    4. have a look in impostah if there is still contact stuff in the database => databases => persistent => contacts:1 and person:1 should be empty, so should be the databases of all the connectors you used (example contact.google:1 for goolge and so on... ). If you find something, delete it. (I don't take responsibility if this upsyncs.. but from my understanding of sync-endpoints this should not happen...)

    Now your device should be empty of all contacts (maybe expect sim) and uhm.. it should not happen again.

    Now you can start activating all these contact sync stuff again and wait for the contacts to come back. Maybe you do this one at a time and wait till the sync finishes... you can even run the linker yourself, again and see if it fails.
    Well it stopped doing it now, so I'm gonna leave it as is for now. Maybe it's time for me to doctor it, I'll leave that later.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Battery draining fast?
    By leif in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01/05/2012, 06:49 PM
  2. Battery draining fast
    By shabby71 in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11/16/2010, 11:00 AM
  3. Why is my battery draining so fast?
    By Anonymouse in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07/06/2007, 11:31 PM
  4. Battery draining REALLY fast
    By flugel in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05/19/2006, 12:30 AM
  5. Battery Draining fast
    By PeterlePierre in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12/11/2005, 08:12 AM

Posting Permissions