Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mpcollins
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I'm back. Has anyone tried to retrieve data from their non-working phone? If so, how much expertise would one need to get at the USB part of the device? Or, is it just impossible to do? I could send the phone to a place in San Diego I know of, however I would spend close to a C-note to get it off of it and as much as I would like my data, I'm not sure I want it that much lol! Any answers out there?

Thanks...
    Depends what is non-working.... If the screen is broken, you can still get into recovery mode and pull stuff for example I think
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Depends what is non-working.... If the screen is broken, you can still get into recovery mode and pull stuff for example I think
    I don't know about this 'recovery mode' that you are talking about. I left some information out. It's not exactly a manner of a broken screen. I loaded the wrong patches. After deleting them and then running Luna, my phone went into some kind of a loop: the HP logo keeps getting brighter then fading. Just for grins, plugged it into my PC and then started Quick Install. The app read the phone's settings, so it kind of works. Is there another app here in WebOS Nation-land that can access the USB from within it? If so, that would be great!

Thanks....
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcollins View Post
    I don't know about this 'recovery mode' that you are talking about. I left some information out. It's not exactly a manner of a broken screen. I loaded the wrong patches. After deleting them and then running Luna, my phone went into some kind of a loop: the HP logo keeps getting brighter then fading. Just for grins, plugged it into my PC and then started Quick Install. The app read the phone's settings, so it kind of works. Is there another app here in WebOS Nation-land that can access the USB from within it? If so, that would be great!

Thanks....
    You can run the webOS Doctor, that will restore the system software so that the phone boots again and will leave your USB partition untouched
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    You could try to force usb mode from the command line. Don't know if it'll work if the UI is stuck, but maybe worth a shot if you want to try to grab stuff before doctoring:

In webOS Quick Install, go to Tools -> Linux Commandline, which should open up a terminal window. Paste the following command (right click somewhere in the window, select paste):

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.storage/diskmode/enterMSM {\"user-confirmed\":true,\"enterIMasq\":false}
    (from Luna Send - WebOS Internals )
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jl85 View Post
    You could try to force usb mode from the command line. Don't know if it'll work if the UI is stuck, but maybe worth a shot if you want to try to grab stuff before doctoring:

In webOS Quick Install, go to Tools -> Linux Commandline, which should open up a terminal window. Paste the following command (right click somewhere in the window, select paste):

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.storage/diskmode/enterMSM {\"user-confirmed\":true,\"enterIMasq\":false}
    (from Luna Send - WebOS Internals )
    O K, I tried that, and I got the following:

'luna-send' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Am i missing something? This Luna is on the phone, right? If that's the case, that means that the phone can't be reached, correct? If that's so, it looks like I'm trying the doctor next.
    luna-send has to be run on the phone, via the webosqi command line or a novaterm shell if you are on linux. I have had good luck issuing a reboot command from the command line when I had a device stuck in a boot loop getting the boot loop un-stuck.

Have you tried Opt+Sym+U keyboard combination to put the phone into USB storage mode? Honestly if it's in a boot loop, that may not work.

As they said though, if you can get the phone into recovery mode (opt+sym+R to reboot, then hold down the R key until the USB symbol shows on the screen).
    if you can talk to it using WOSQI you can install sftp server and use scp to copy files from it...

but if you really just need stuff from the USB partition I'd go the doctor way...
  9.    #9  
    Ok,I tried those two commands. It started to reboot -- went black or to that shut-down point where it says to not remove the battery. Then it went back to doing the same thing. I will try using the Doctor next.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcollins View Post
    Ok,I tried those two commands. It started to reboot -- went black or to that shut-down point where it says to not remove the battery. Then it went back to doing the same thing. I will try using the Doctor next.
    Well, I tried running WebOS Doctor -- which I do like, BTW -- and it did fix the reboot, however it reset it completely, and the phone went back to the beginning. Judging from the last time that happened to me, I lost the USB storage. (sigh) Oh well... On the very least, if I kill my 3 again and can't get it back, I can use my 2. Thanks for your help, guys, I do appreciate it.
    The doctor generally doesn't touch the USB drive anymore. I think there are exceptions, but I'm not certain of them.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The doctor generally doesn't touch the USB drive anymore. I think there are exceptions, but I'm not certain of them.
    Hmmm... Well then, is there a way to view the USB when it is at the 'start' stage: new profile? I tried the opt-sym-U combination but it didn't work. I don't remember if I had the phone connected to the PC at the time. Oh, and I tried going to the first version of WebOS Doctor and couldn't find anything and had to use one from the history page. That version may still have the delete USB option there.
    You are at the point of needing to sign in to your Palm profile after completing the doctor, correct? If so, just bypass activation. Slide out the keyboard and start typing: ##3386633# (or #*3386633# for GSM devices) and press send if the developer mode app doesn't automatically open after you press the last #. ( 3386633 = devmode ) Tap the toggle to turn on dev mode, and when prompted, let the phone reboot. Then it will open to the launcher and you can enter USB mode. Do NOT enter a password in the devmode app - it creates headaches. Oh, and yes, you do have to have the phone connected to USB before the USB mode key combination will work.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    You are at the point of needing to sign in to your Palm profile after completing the doctor, correct? If so, just bypass activation. Slide out the keyboard and start typing: ##3386633# (or #*3386633# for GSM devices) and press send if the developer mode app doesn't automatically open after you press the last #. ( 3386633 = devmode ) Tap the toggle to turn on dev mode, and when prompted, let the phone reboot. Then it will open to the launcher and you can enter USB mode. Do NOT enter a password in the devmode app - it creates headaches. Oh, and yes, you do have to have the phone connected to USB before the USB mode key combination will work.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Woo-hoo!!! Thanks guys. I got to the USB on my 2 and got my Save/Restore data off and I was able to use it to restore most of my stuff onto my 3! I gave all of you a 'thanks'!

Grabber5.0 and UI Designer like this.