1.    #1  
    I just activated a new - old stock Pre 3 on the Verizon network to replace one that was stolen. For some reason, it will not load the app catalog and a few apps that I had downloaded previously. More concerning, it will not make out going calls. It receives calls, texts, connects to the internet and wifi, but anytime you try to dial a number and hit send, it erases the number from the top of the screen. I've already tried restarting it, removing the battery, and checking the sim card, but to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please note, I am not very tech-savvy. Any instructions given should be phrased similar to trying to get a four year old to deactivate a bomb. Thanks.
    Click the first link in my signature.

Scroll down to "webOS (Legacy)"

The links there should cover the basics. You will need to install software on your PC & phone, but a four year old could do this with a little help. It'll be much easier by the time you are 5 & your phone will not explode.

That should cover the app cat & a couple of other issues. The calling out problem sounds unusual. Perhaps someone else will have ideas on this. If you can receive, but not call out, have you checked the SIM in another phone? It might be an issue with the network. If the old phone was stolen, this is presumably a new SIM. Is the new pre3 either unlocked or locked to Verizon? Perhaps a chat with a Verizon advisor to check the settings is the best first step.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Click the first link in my signature.

Scroll down to "webOS (Legacy)"

The links there should cover the basics. You will need to install software on your PC & phone, but a four year old could do this with a little help. It'll be much easier by the time you are 5 & your phone will not explode.

That should cover the app cat & a couple of other issues. The calling out problem sounds unusual. Perhaps someone else will have ideas on this. If you can receive, but not call out, have you checked the SIM in another phone? It might be an issue with the network. If the old phone was stolen, this is presumably a new SIM. Is the new pre3 either unlocked or locked to Verizon? Perhaps a chat with a Verizon advisor to check the settings is the best first step.
    Amazing! I did the manual reload (for after July 23rd) and that got back the app catalog back. I could then retry the other failed apps and they loaded. I then did a restart and it can now dial out! Sorcery! Thanks for the help.

By the way, I activated the phone at a Verizon Wireless store and they were clueless. I don't really blame them; Since the life cycle of cell phones seems to be less than a year, finding someone who knows the ins and outs of a three year old phone that was never officially released in the US is like finding a TV repairman that makes house calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Pariah View Post
    I just activated a new - old stock Pre 3 on the Verizon network to replace one that was stolen. For some reason, it will not load the app catalog and a few apps that I had downloaded previously. More concerning, it will not make out going calls. It receives calls, texts, connects to the internet and wifi, but anytime you try to dial a number and hit send, it erases the number from the top of the screen. I've already tried restarting it, removing the battery, and checking the sim card, but to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please note, I am not very tech-savvy. Any instructions given should be phrased similar to trying to get a four year old to deactivate a bomb. Thanks.
    The problem with outgoing calls is weird. If you can get incoming calls and texts, that would indicate that activation was successful. I wonder if the Phone app installation is corrupted?

My first instinct would be to tell you to verify your software version. If it's not 2.2.4, I'd recommend that you doctor your phone to that level (the instructions can be found on this forum).

If you're already at 2.2.4, and don't want to do a re-doctor (and I wouldn't recommend it unless you've run out of options), it may be possible to extract the Phone app ipk from the 2.2.4 doctor file and reinstall it (it's been awhile, but there's a little bell going off in the back of my brain that says this has been discussed on the forum). Does anyone know if that's possible, and, if so, where to find instructions on how to do it?

Finally, see the "Activated!" link in my signature for a Verizon Pre3 activation reference/tips. It doesn't seem likely that a re-activation would help, but it might be worth a try.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix