1.    #1  
    Hi. I bought, from Amazon, an unlocked AT&T 4G Pre 3, which I am now using at MetroPCS. Does anyone out there have one? I'm wondering how I can go about telling if I actually have a 4G device. It came in a box indicating it was a 4G phone, NIB. My problem is that most of the time since I've had it, it has shown a 3G on it; only once that I noticed that it didn't. I'm wondering if there is any way to tell if my phone is actually a 4G phone. The MetroPCS customer service person checked things twice and it should be receiving as a 4G. At this point, I am considering contacting Amazon to find out about returning it and getting another one sent to me.

Would anybody have any suggestions how I might go about verifying it? Thanks...:
    Look the Preł up on wikipedia. It says it'll do only HSPA+ speeds, which, as far as i know is H+ or 3.5G at most. Or you might need to get the 4G speeds unlocked via the carrier.
    I have mine on AT&T and the phone indicates H+ whenever on HSPA+.
    TouchPad 4G, TouchPad 32GB w/4.4.4
    fabianlanco is correct that HSPA+ is the fastest data rate you can get with the Pre 3. It's not an LTE phone. Whether you get H+ on your phone seems to depend on what particular plan you're on with them and how your phone is set up with their network.

I bought a Pre 3 two weeks ago and went with the GoPhone plan from AT&T. Put in the SIM, paid my money, had H+ from the beginning, but the sales rep at Best Buy set me up with the wrong plan, with less data than I requested. Called in, got the plan changed, and something with what the on-the-phone sales rep did changed my data access, and I had no data at all. If I put in "broadband" as the APN (as a test), I would get the H+ icon again, but no data access (no money on my plan account - another problem). Went to an AT&T store and got everything straightened out and they tweaked my plan again, but now I only get 3G showing on the phone. Plenty fast though.

There are several patches in Preware which will change the icon to H+ when the Pre 3 is only showing 3G. It seems like you/I might be getting the speeds without getting the icon. Maybe you can try the Speedtest site to check your actual speeds.

I'll also leave this here for anyone searching for it: While the phone was not set up properly on AT&T's end, I was getting the "code 20" error message on the phone, which apparently means "cannot establish a proper APN." I manually entered the APN settings listed on the forum with no success. The few posts on this error code here suggest various data wipes, doctoring the phone, etc, to correct the problem - sometimes with success, sometimes not. My experience over the last week suggests that someone's access to the data network might be blocked or messed up from AT&T's side of things for some cases of this error, rather than a problem with the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcollins View Post
    Hi. I bought, from Amazon, an unlocked AT&T 4G Pre 3, which I am now using at MetroPCS. Does anyone out there have one? I'm wondering how I can go about telling if I actually have a 4G device. It came in a box indicating it was a 4G phone, NIB. My problem is that most of the time since I've had it, it has shown a 3G on it; only once that I noticed that it didn't. I'm wondering if there is any way to tell if my phone is actually a 4G phone. The MetroPCS customer service person checked things twice and it should be receiving as a 4G. At this point, I am considering contacting Amazon to find out about returning it and getting another one sent to me.

Would anybody have any suggestions how I might go about verifying it? Thanks...:
    The icons which light up on that phone are confusing for sure, as it may show 3G or H+ or 4G. I've seen them all.

MetroPCS is CDMA. Your phone is H+ GSM. Not the same. THE PHONE SHOULD NOT WORK AT 4G.

Test your data speeds at speedtest.net using the phone's browser. if you get anything over 3mbps down, PLEASE REPORT HERE AS THIS IS AMAZING NEWS TO US.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter what icon shows. What matters is actual speed. Good 3G is 1-3 mbps, H+ (pseudo-4G) is 5-9mbps download. Test and see!
    This is interesting...

A friend who has always had metropcs in Atlanta told Me that they recently merged with t-mo.

If metro is now using t-mo 1900mhz band to sell additional gsm phones at 4G, or steal att customers, then THIS WOULD BE A NEW CHOICE OF PROVIDER FOR VEER AND PRE3 in the US. They have very competitive plans, but i believe no roaming?
  7.    #7  
    Well, talk about [un]truth in advertising! There is '4G' ALL over the box and paperwork inside. The H+ is in the photos on the box and paperwork. If I had seen that on the pic on Amazon, I would not have known what it is and probably still would have bought it. Oh well, I have missed my old Pre 3 and the fact this one has a front-facing camera still makes it nice.

I'm trying that speedtest.net, however I really don't know what I'm looking for. It's has been displaying 'selecting best server based on ping' and has been on the clock for a really long time. Can someone please tell me if there was some other settings I should have set beforehand? All I did was start it.
    Last edited by mpcollins; 06/23/2014 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Too many mesed up words/sentences
    Well, talk about [un]truth in advertising! There is '4G' ALL over the box and paperwork inside. The H+ is in the photos on the box and paperwork. If I had seen that on the pic on Amazon, I would not have known what it is and probably still would have bought it. Oh well, I have missed my old Pre 3 and the fact this one has a front-facing camera still makes it nice.

I'm trying that speedtest.net, however I really don't know what I'm looking for. It's has been displaying 'selecting best server based on ping' and has been on the clock for a really long time. Can someone please tell me if there was some other settings I should have set beforehand? All I did was start it.
    Not really. If the test isn't completing quickly, you are not on a fast enough connection.

I believe the whole web app is flash or similar, and i have only been able to run it successfully when on a solid 3g or 4g connection. At edge 2g it's dead slow.

So it would have found the server, did the ping, then the down and up speed tests. Should take all of 40 seconds.

Try it again when you are on Wi-Fi and you should see what i mean.

Now as far as the 4g claim, blame american courts that let marketers say what they will. H+ was authorized to be marketed as 4g even though it really isn't a new generation of technology, but it was an equivalent jump in performance. H+ enhanced is FAST. You would know if you were receiving it. I don't believe metro is using it though and you may be getting 3g at best, probably 1mbps down. Which would be comparable to other 3g cdma like sprint.
  9.    #9  
    Ok, an update. I had tried the speedtest the first time at work (Dallas TX) and wasn't getting anything. I tried it at home (Irving TX) and got something like .2 or .3 download. I just tried it again here at work and I've got 1.62 and 1.67. I came across an article here about getting AT&T (in my case, MetroPCS) to make sure the IMEI is in their system to get as close to the pseudo-4G as I can. I was on the phone with MetroPCS yesterday and it turns out that I already have everything in their system. What TJs11thPRE (11 Pre's, huh? Wow.) said about whether they have H+ is another angle I need to try. I'll call them back tonight and have them confirm if are set up for H+ or not.

I would not turn down my 3 just because it's a 3G or H+. The only reason I don't have my previous one is because it had a collision with some miso soup and lost lol. Insteading of jumping ship, I just went back to my 2 for awhile. Along with everything else on it, I just really love this keyboard.

That's all the news that's fit to print, for now.....
    There is an app in the catalog called 'Net Speed' that is a much lighter on the processor than the speedtest site - but I don't know whether the server it tests against has enough bandwidth to fully show download speeds. It is worth checking out and comparing. I've also bookmarked some mobile speedtest sites on some of my phones - I'll look for them. I need to call T-Mobile tech support and see if I can get an answer as to whether there really is refarmed H+ on 1900 here in KC (it is supposed to be a refarmed market, but I'm worried they refarmed again to put LTE on it..), because I never see anything other than the 3G icon and the speeds are never higher than 2mbps. I didn't bother when I was using a by the day plan, but I temporarily switched to a monthly plan to see if my Pre3 would pick up H+ anywhere around town.
    Ok, an update. I had tried the speedtest the first time at work (Dallas TX) and wasn't getting anything. I tried it at home (Irving TX) and got something like .2 or .3 download. I just tried it again here at work and I've got 1.62 and 1.67. I came across an article here about getting AT&T (in my case, MetroPCS) to make sure the IMEI is in their system to get as close to the pseudo-4G as I can. I was on the phone with MetroPCS yesterday and it turns out that I already have everything in their system. What TJs11thPRE (11 Pre's, huh? Wow.) said about whether they have H+ is another angle I need to try. I'll call them back tonight and have them confirm if are set up for H+ or not.

I would not turn down my 3 just because it's a 3G or H+. The only reason I don't have my previous one is because it had a collision with some miso soup and lost lol. Insteading of jumping ship, I just went back to my 2 for awhile. Along with everything else on it, I just really love this keyboard.

That's all the news that's fit to print, for now.....
    Have you considered a prepaid sim from another att mvno just to confirm the phone receives H+? It's about a $40 investment to see what the phone is really capable of.

1.62 down is a typical 3g speed. (You are sure you're using an att not Verizon pre3 right?) But I'm not sure you will get HSPA+ from metropcs, ever. And this is not a limitation just to this phone, it would be the same for any att handset that is marked 4G but is not LTE.
    Are there android apps that map cellular service areas? I understand a device would have to have a lot of receivers to detect everything itself. So i don't know if this exists. But by now there should be something to map this, and i don't mean those nationwide cartoon maps the carriers tout. It's not like towers move around. Why hasn't Google maps done this yet??? Lol
    Test your data speeds at speedtest.net using the phone's browser. if you get anything over 3mbps down, PLEASE REPORT HERE AS THIS IS AMAZING NEWS TO US.

fwiw, just ran speedtest.net on Pre3 with three bars of AT&T H+:

download: 3.46 Mbps
    upload: 0.53 Mbps

may or may not be better in a location with a better signal
    Via my "3G" I got:
    1.6MB down
    214KB up

Via WIFI (but my connection here is really not that great, will have to retest once I get home):
    I got 3.3MB down
    297.5KB up

edit: forgot to mention: this is with 2-3 bars
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 08/06/2014 at 11:42 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Pre 3 H+ in Mckinney TX
    AT&T

ping 130
    Dwnld 2.47
    Upld 1.06