Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Ok, this is a weird one, I'd like to praise battery life.

My batteries were getting old and running out of juice quickly so I picked up a couple of no-name ones from the cellphoneshop.net shop in Canada (at some ridiculously cheap closeout price). These are truly no-name as the package doesn't have a company name anywhere (but they were made in China). I wasn't expecting much and the first one functioned as well as I remembered over then next month. I'd see about 50% down after 10 hours with my normal usage.

I had a business trip so I swapped in the second new battery and charged that up, bringing along the first for a spare. That battery showed about 90% after a 12 hour day the whole time I was gone. I was putting in 12-15 hour days and didn't have to swap batteries once. I chalked it up to being in a different state that must have much better cell strength but when I returned I saw the same thing.

I have no explanation unless all of the half-dozen other batteries I've used were already in declining health, or this is one exceptional battery. I'm not complaining but it does strike me as strange.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Nice! Lucky you!!

I already had a spare battery, so when I saw the thread about these batteries, I didn't buy one (due to guilt over the quantity of e-stuff I purchase). Now I wish I had bought a couple. Sigh.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Check out the Dr. Battery app...

I have had a few batteries that looked like they were failing...

Went thru Dr. Battery and reset the battery circuit to 100%, (for Veer/Pre3/Touchpad one has to wire the battery to make it work on a Pre2/PrePlus/Pre/Pixi/PixiPlus, as A6 chip prevents it from reset)...

Once that was done, letting it fully discharge then re-charge so the battery can re-calibrate, and find it's true health state.

However, once done I have seen vast improvements on some batteries...

Others, it's health was worse (YMMV)

What does Dr. Battery say about your battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Went thru Dr. Battery and reset the battery circuit to 100%, (for Veer/Pre3/Touchpad one has to wire the battery to make it work
    John, can you be more specific about this?
    What do you mean by "reset the battery circuit" and what how to "wire the battery" for Pre3/TouchPad ?
    Perhaps it is described elsewhere ?

---
    I have batteries from cellphoneshop.net shop and they work well with my Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    John, can you be more specific about this?
    What do you mean by "reset the battery circuit" and what how to "wire the battery" for Pre3/TouchPad ?
    Perhaps it is described elsewhere ?

---
    I have batteries from cellphoneshop.net shop and they work well with my Pre3
    I would like to know, too...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    For the Veer Follow the following:

Veer, Pre3 & TouchPad battery health

For the Pre3/Touchpad:

It was based on charging using a lipo charger, I will look for the other threads for the Pre3/Touchpad, I have only done it a few times on the four contact batteries...

Still looking but here is one of the Lipo threads:
    How I Revived My Dead TouchPad

Will update the post, if/when I find the other thread/post.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 06/09/2014 at 08:12 PM.
    Rnp and MartinH@webos like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Ok, this is a weird one, I'd like to praise battery life.

My batteries were getting old and running out of juice quickly so I picked up a couple of no-name ones from the cellphoneshop.net shop in Canada (at some ridiculously cheap closeout price). These are truly no-name as the package doesn't have a company name anywhere (but they were made in China). I wasn't expecting much and the first one functioned as well as I remembered over then next month. I'd see about 50% down after 10 hours with my normal usage.

I had a business trip so I swapped in the second new battery and charged that up, bringing along the first for a spare. That battery showed about 90% after a 12 hour day the whole time I was gone. I was putting in 12-15 hour days and didn't have to swap batteries once. I chalked it up to being in a different state that must have much better cell strength but when I returned I saw the same thing.

I have no explanation unless all of the half-dozen other batteries I've used were already in declining health, or this is one exceptional battery. I'm not complaining but it does strike me as strange.
    Yeah I ordered 3 from that shop but they said they were lost by the post and refunded my money. Good thing too as my Pre 3 expired after only having it 2 weeks I had also ordered a Mugen battery which arrived but Pre was still dead.

However undettered I ordered another one from eBay despite the swift demise of the last one lol

Barry
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Check out the Dr. Battery app...

I have had a few batteries that looked like they were failing...

Went thru Dr. Battery and reset the battery circuit to 100%, (for Veer/Pre3/Touchpad one has to wire the battery to make it work on a Pre2/PrePlus/Pre/Pixi/PixiPlus, as A6 chip prevents it from reset)...

Once that was done, letting it fully discharge then re-charge so the battery can re-calibrate, and find it's true health state.

However, once done I have seen vast improvements on some batteries...

Others, it's health was worse (YMMV)

What does Dr. Battery say about your battery?
    Dr Battery says that the manufacturer rating is 1218mAh, but the actual is 1416mAh, voltage is 4.12V.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I got some of the same batteries from the .ca shop.

I first bough one.... and 4 months later (last month), it had swollen/bubbled up enough to be pushing the cover far enough that the Touchstone contacts weren't touching anymore.

They asked for me to return it and gave me a store credit.

I've bought two more (one for me and one for my wife's Pre3) and using them now. I'm hoping that it won't happen again (the swelling), but anything to extend the life of the Pre3 as there's no original batteries to be found anywhere.

I've seen the mugen and another third party but nothing truly conclusive to their quality, I might consider getting at least another couple of spares, just not sure which one I'll go with.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Hi,

I got my 2nd Pre 3, the other is for for spares now , I just 2 minutes ago fitted the Mugen battery, it is a slightly snugger fit than the standard battery when fitting it however.

Think you will find Mugen batteries have a long history with Pre's and webOS Nation users

Don't think they got much stock left btw as it showed only 2 left when I bought mine, but that was just the web portal so may not reflect actual stock.

Barry
    Yep, the Mugen's are pretty good. I got one for my Pre3 as soon as it was available and it served me very well for a couple of years.

Unfortunately in the last few weeks the health suddenly dropped from 97% to 73% and my battery started only lasting 3-5 hours (from 12-16). I swapped back to the original battery but it was enough to trip me over the edge, I felt I could not rely on my Pre3 any more and started using a Nexus 5 instead. I've put a spare SIM in my Pre3 and will keep it as a spare but I think my WebOS adventure is finally over.
    Just a follow -up.. well, it's been over a year and here's the status...

1) the online store (.ca) is gone, they are closed for good.
    2) the two batteries (one in my Pre3, the other in my wife's) have hit that battery bloating mark.

My wife's was slightly inflated enough that when charging, it would get hot, inflate just enough to make the cover's contact for the touchstone a problem.

My phone.. the battery's bloat was really bad, but until just lately, my phone was still charging fine on the touchstone. But no longer.

Considering that I tested the two phones' changing schedule, my wife would leave hers to charge more often then being used (the phone is more just a "in-case" when she'd go out) than constant usage.. but lately she's been texting more.

Mine, I'd charge only after a few days once my battery would start getting low (my turning data 3G off does a HUGE difference in power and battery life).

But my battery was the worse, somehow, the opposite from what I expected.

So, right now, my wife's is back on the original battery, and I've put her "made in china" one in my phone.. so far all is fine.

But, I still want to have extra batteries as I really want to use these phones as long as possible.

The Mugen..so many bad reviews, issues with them, and the price that I find a bit much lead me to look elsewhere.

I found a seller on eBay that sells "made in China" ones, similar to the .ca store, for about 20$ each... so I've ordered 3 of them, 2 as replacement, and a spare in case.

I'll return to review them once I receive them.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Shuswap likes this.
    i prefer the ones wrapped in black that say only palm on the front.

bloating is from over charging, probably the cut off circuitry not cutting off. watch out not to leave those on the charger unattended.

looking forward to your review. thanks for the update
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    i prefer the ones wrapped in black that say only palm on the front.

bloating is from over charging, probably the cut off circuitry not cutting off. watch out not to leave those on the charger unattended.

looking forward to your review. thanks for the update
    If there would be someone that would sell genuine Pre3 batteries at a decent price, I've be all over it. (and probably most of us still using Pre3s as their daily)

For the Pre/Pre2, I have several extra original Palm batteries, but I don't plan to go back to my Pre or Pre2 unless something happens to my Pre3.. if only they would have kept the same design for the connector.. *sigh*.

For these (old) made in China ones, they were 10$ each, so got over a year's worth of use out of them, so it's not too bad, but from what I've read, most "cheaper" batteries just end up doing this. Had I known that this store would disappear, I might have gotten a few extras at the time... at 10$ for a year's worth of life, it wouldn't have been that bad. I just am trying to not use the original battery too much.

I am planning to try and survive on my Pre3 until something as worthy comes along... but... still waiting.
    I see a pattern...
    petbull and TJs11thPre like this.
    well, sumi was making a batch of pre3 batteries... just I didn't hear anything from him....
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd just received my batteries today, just opened the package 10 minutes ago.

Looks good, compared to the original, it's identical aside the sticker. It actually doesn't feel cheap.

Dr. Battery shows it at (it's charging at 40% right now) at Health 100% 1218mAh.

I'll be back in a few days to say how it's going.
    I see a pattern...
    It's been two weeks now.. no problem at all.

I did have some sort of activity going on again with my phone which appeared to be draining it faster than usual, so played with a few things and I think it's back to normal again.

Nothing with the battery as I could see that the phone was simply more active for some reason.
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    I did have some sort of activity going on again with my phone which appeared to be draining it faster than usual, so played with a few things and I think it's back to normal again.

Nothing with the battery as I could see that the phone was simply more active for some reason.
    Any hints? I get battery drain - something trying to connect as switching off data slows the drain...
    when it happened to me, I solved it rebooting until it calmed down
    at some point, it was the emails... After a deleting and redoing email account, it had set itself on constant check (as items arrived).

There was something else that really damaged my data usage, so now I have it off except when needed.
    I see a pattern...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast