Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

Pre 3 is only 2 weeks old (bnib), working ok then this morning nothing totally dead. Tried removing and reseating battery and still nothing, only the battery question mark, any ideas?

Thanks

Barry
    Last edited by barryb20; 06/07/2014 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Updated title
  2.    #2  
    Just to add, leaving plugged in to charger overnight hasn't helped.

The icon displays then disappears. If I put it on the Touchstone the display stays lit with the icon but doesn't seem to charge either.

Looks like my return to webOS has been brief

Barry
    Probably a faulty battery :-( You can get a spare one on eBay for cheap or from some member here :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4.    #4  
    Hi Herrie,

thanks for the reply, the battery has only been charged about 4 or 5 time since I un-boxed it. I will contact the eBay seller see what they say.

Cheers

Barry
    Yeah, sounds like it's gone belly up. It would help if you had another battery to test with, but I think it's probably the case. I had the same battery icon on a spare Pre3 battery I bought from the get-go, and no amount of having it on the charger made a difference. They sent a replacement and it was (and still is) fine. (I would have posted this yesterday, but I needed to find my old post to be sure I remembered it right - Dud Pre3 battery ) It looks like I was the only one that got a dud, so if you want to buy a spare, here is where several of us got ours: Lithium Battery For HP Pre 3
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yeah, sounds like it's gone belly up. It would help if you had another battery to test with, but I think it's probably the case. I had the same battery icon on a spare Pre3 battery I bought from the get-go, and no amount of having it on the charger made a difference. They sent a replacement and it was (and still is) fine. (I would have posted this yesterday, but I needed to find my old post to be sure I remembered it right - Dud Pre3 battery ) It looks like I was the only one that got a dud, so if you want to buy a spare, here is where several of us got ours: Lithium Battery For HP Pre 3
    thanks Matt, dang it at $10.99 I will buy 3 lol (done!)

I have also mailed the seller on eBay see if they can help out, I had to stick my sim back Nexus 5, which I do like but it there is something about my Pre 3, not just the OS but the design of the Pre, loved it since the first one.

The thing that gets me is the battery was ok for about a week then just died
    Barry
    Last edited by barryb20; 05/25/2014 at 10:14 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Hi all,

Really disappointed, my Mugen battery arrived and the Pre is still showing the battery and question mark. The eBay seller isn't responding to any communications looks like my brief 2 weeks of return to a Pre 3 is over

Barry
  8.    #8  
    This is exactly my problem

Pre 3 kiboshed and no recovery mode

thing is this poor chap doesn't seem to have got an answer that worked either, tried getting the Pre in to USB recovery (not easy) looks like this will be going in the recycle bin

Barry
    I would try more , or store it away and wait a bit.. but in any case would not throw it away.
    At the very worst it could be used as spare parts by someone
  10.    #10  
    Yeah I have been trying on and off over the past week or so does not even go in to USB mode to let me even attempt a doctor

Hold the volume up (not easy on a pre 3), plug in to USB, battery question mark appears, pop in the battery an the screen has by that time went dark.

Tried with both batteries, so disappointed

Barry
    What about putting the new battery and keeping it charging for a couple of days ?
    Unfortunately the ? means the charging circuit is not active. It won't charge no matter how long you leave it.
    Dunno,

I remember reading this

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-charge-6.html

thread time ago, and the issue is very, very similar.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks guys, left it overnight with a Kindle USB charger plugged in, no luck.

Strange thing, when plugged in via the USB port the icon appears then disappears.

Via touchstone it always stays lit.

Anyway being a complete sucker I have ordered another one in the hope it isn't a dud too :-O

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    The kindle usb charger would have been appropriate for the touchpad ( see that thread ) but not for the phone.
    The tablet uses a 5v 2a charger
    The phone uses a 5v 1a charger

so you would need a lower powered charger (an usb port delivers 5v 0.5a)
  16.    #16  
    Yup tried charging via PC USB port too and using a higher output AC adaptor still no joy.

If anything it will be used for spares unless it comes back to life which I doubt

Barry
    I've got a similar problem here. The only difference is that I'm not looking to actually make my Pre 3 work as a phone again...

... I just want to access it as a USB device to pull off some priceless pictures of my son's first couple of years and our family trips.

I was hoping I could I could bypass the battery issue by not putting a battery in it and just plugging it in.

I'm not very good at electronics such as pulling things apart and trying deal with the physical memory storage.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do?
    HP Pre 3 battery

Of course, if you don't want to buy a battery, I would guess (but DO NOT KNOW) that it may be possible to apply the correct voltage to the contacts. But which two of the four? And what of the other two? Is data exchange with the charging circuit required?

Perhaps a pre3 owner in your area could help or you could find a buyer here and arrange for them to send you your data after delivery.
    I'd be willing to buy a new battery, but:

1) From previous threads I have read, new batteries have never worked for this the "?" problem.
    2) There's 1 for sale on Ebay (other links to sellers are dead), and the user doesn't look very reputable.

I wouldn't know how to begin to provide voltage to specific pins and such.

Seems like extreme odds of finding a Pre3 owner in Rhode Island who would be an expert on this, right?

Not trying to be critical of the help... I didn't expect to a response at all.
    1) So what has worked? What cause of the problem has been suggested?
    2) The thread I linked to is current. Sumy has good reviews for his batteries. He may even have insight into your problem. I found this regarding a similar problem on the TP: Battery Icon w/ Question Mark, researching

I agree that a local expert is unlikely - I just meant someone who might have a Pre3 with a functioning battery you could borrow for long enough to copy off your files.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/11/2016 at 10:50 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast