Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Here something that I can't find explanations for.

Out of 8GB, my Pre3 is saying that I've got only 700MB left.

I did a bit of checking and have less than 3GB of music on my Pre3, the Apps I have is a somewhat fair number, less than a hundred I'm sure, and no way that they can be taking more than a few hundred MB at the most, let alone over 4GB.

In a quick check I found that in the /proc/ folder, there is a LOT of folders, lots of sub-folders, and lots and lots of files, and adding things up, probably where that missing 3-4GB is hiding..

Problem is, I have no clue what they are, what this folder does or what it's about, but the sheer number of sub-sub-sub-folders within each of the folders is mind blowing.

I've been trying to see if there's any utilities out there, or some information but nothing.

I'm almost tempted to reformat it (saving a backup of my Apps first) and see what I'll end up with, but.. if a simple delete of the content of this folder (if these are simple cache that just doesn't auto-delete) could work.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Did you see the post the other day in the how to retain ipk thread about the temp directories not getting removed? Mine only took up about 200mb, but if you have many large pdk apps, it could add up.

- Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Did you see the post the other day in the how to retain ipk thread about the temp directories not getting removed? Mine only took up about 200mb, but if you have many large pdk apps, it could add up.

- Matt
    This post --> [How To] Retain App IPKs from App Catalog

Interesting possibilities...
  4.    #4  
    only a few MB in there.. so that's not it.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    if you plug in your pre to a pc and let it go to flash drive mode, you should be able to use a utility like windirstat to find out what is taking up all the space.

another possible explanation, though, may be that a piece of your flash storage is defective so the pre has it marked as bad and will not use it.
  6.    #6  
    hmm.. as USB, it's showing to be 5.45GB capacity.

Using SequoiaView (instead of windirstat, but thanks for the suggestion, should have though of that)

And what I have is a good GB is the folder: .palm
    The music takes 2.6GB out of that total amount,

I cleared a few pictures/videos which bring it up a bit,

But there's a good 2.5+GB that appears to be amiss.
    I see a pattern...
    .palm is your encrypted filesystem. That's where all of your apps and services installed. Couldn't tell if you knew that. (given that it's encrypted, there will be storage overhead so will take up more space used). Have you done any re-partitioning to take space away from the USB partition?

One other thing to keep in mind is the device info reports a GB as a billion bytes, whereas windows reports in true GB's (a GB = 1024 MB = 1024 KB = 1024 B.) My Pre2 reports 9.9GB available, which matches (rounded) to the 9.871 billion bytes windows shows, which is 9.19GB in true GB's. So when you are adding things up, using the byte totals will match better with what your phone shows.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/23/2014 at 11:03 AM.
    maybe read up on the various older (tho mostly touchpad) threads on "Application Database Full" and the many other relevant threads to do with the VAR partition filling up perhaps?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    .palm is your encrypted filesystem. That's where all of your apps and services installed. Couldn't tell if you knew that. (given that it's encrypted, there will be storage overhead so will take up more space used). Have you done any re-partitioning to take space away from the USB partition?

One other thing to keep in mind is the device info reports a GB as a billion bytes, whereas windows reports in true GB's (a GB = 1024 MB = 1024 KB = 1024 B.) My Pre2 reports 9.9GB available, which matches (rounded) to the 9.871 billion bytes windows shows, which is 9.19GB in true GB's. So when you are adding things up, using the byte totals will match better with what your phone shows.
    Oh I know that.. but it's an 8GB phone and to barely have 5 GB available, missing around 3+GB of it is a bit much I find. I understand that the OS may take some space, and the APPs, are fairly small sized... very few are more than a few MB, the larger ones may reach 100MB or so, but these are few.

Can anyone check what their Pre3 8GB report, both internaly with the Device info and via USB drive mode?
    Maybe it is common, and I never realized it until now.

I have to check my Pre2 when I get home.. finding it odd that you have a 9.9GB.. is that from a 16GB phone? If yes.. wow.. that's a lot of missing GB to go from 16 to 9.9GB. 6GB for the OS in hidden/inaccessible partitions?
    I see a pattern...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    maybe read up on the various older (tho mostly touchpad) threads on "Application Database Full" and the many other relevant threads to do with the VAR partition filling up perhaps?
    Thanks, just did, and nope.. no change.
    I see a pattern...
    Sorry, I left out an important number: my USB drive capacity is reported as 15.38 billion bytes - which is really 14.3GB. That leaves only .58GB for system partitions. My 9.9 "GB" number (9.19GB) is free space. My .palm folder is 939MB (lots of wasted space due to 32K cluster size - it is only 520MB of files). I also have a bunch of space used by offline spotify music, Navit maps, etc.

I'll have to check an 8GB device at home, but based on my USB drive size on a 16GB model, yours should be reported as around 6.9GB by windows unless it was resized. It seems you are 1.5GB or so short in capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post

In a quick check I found that in the /proc/ folder, there is a LOT of folders, lots of sub-folders, and lots and lots of files, and adding things up, probably where that missing 3-4GB is hiding..

Problem is, I have no clue what they are, what this folder does or what it's about, but the sheer number of sub-sub-sub-folders within each of the folders is mind blowing.
    It seems like you have already moved passes this idea, but the /proc folder should not be the problem. Those 'files' shouldn't really be taking up space at all, they are just system descriptors. I don't really know what would happen if you convinced your pre to try to delete those file, I assume nothing, but I wouldn't try.

Here is some more info:
    Explore Linux /proc File System (/proc directories, /proc files)
    Also, if I had to guess, I would think that the usb partition was reformatted with Tailor or the phone was Meta-Doctored at some point and an ext3 partition was created. Could this be the case?

Another possibility is you may have a large number of opt-ware programs installed (regardless if the ext3 partition exists). You may want to peak in /opt and see what is in there.

Finally, what I would do is get access to a terminal through ssh, WOSQI, or wTerm and use du to track down your large folders.

Something like this should do the job (you need to be root to do this):
    cd /
    du -h -d 1 ./

This will give you the size of each top level directory on your phone along with a total of disk usage.

The total used space should be ~7G. If it says you are only using something like 5G then you either have a rouge partition or the SSD was marked bad for some reason.

Anyway, using that method you should be able to spot the largest directory, cd into it and do "ls -laSh" to list all of the files sorted by size. If there are no unreasonably large files, run the du command again to spot the largest sub directory. Keep working your way down the rabbit hole and maybe you will find something.
    Hi all,

as far as I am aware, having an 8GB Pre3 does not mean, that the USB partition is 8GB in size, but a bunch is for the whole OS and stuff.
    That being said, I just checked the Deviceinfo, which gives me 3.8GB free
    Internalz Pro gives me a size of 1.86GB for the /media/internal folder, which sums up to 5.66GB

Win7 gives me: 3.54 GB free from 5.4 GB

That seems to add up more or less.

Regards,
    UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    The 8 GB Pre3 has around 5.4 GB accessible and usable to the user. The missing 2.6 GB are reserved for OS and stuff (as Herr Schwarz wrote). Programs seem to take their bite out of the user-accessible-part.
    That means if you have 3 GB of music/pictures on it and 1 GB of programs u will have around 1.4 GB of free space.
    Maybe I'm a bit late... 8GB Pre3

du -h -d 1

17.7M ./boot
    0 ./proc
    8.7G ./media
    443.5M ./var
    132.0K ./dev
    8.0K ./settings
    0 ./sys
    4.5M ./sbin
    28.0K ./home
    4.8M ./etc
    82.9M ./opt
    4.0K ./mnt
    108.6M ./usr
    16.0K ./lost+found
    9.3G .

expanding ./media
    3.9G ./cryptofs
    4.8G ./internal

and I have effectively 700MB free (device info)
    Last edited by mazzinia; 05/26/2014 at 05:09 AM.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks to everyone..

I guess this does confirm that on an 8GB Pre3, the OS appears to take a lion's share of it. I was just stumped that I was left with so little storage when I was used to my Pre2 (16GB) which seemed that I had trouble filling it.

I've actually ended up, out of the blue in the last 3 days, found a local seller for a Pre3 16GB...for a $100!

So guess what.. my memory issues are kinda no longer an issue, and my wife who doesn't use her phone like I do mine, have switched from a Pre (jumping over the Pre2) to this "old" Pre3.

The one thing that drove me nuts was transferring the profile over... wanted to save mine on the old phone and impostah didn't work, so it ended up reformatted, to which I got to see that the memory left is about 5GB...(on the 8GB one)
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 05/26/2014 at 11:53 AM.
    I see a pattern...
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I actually wish hp made just 1 model ( 16gb ) instead of releasing a meager 8gb one in Europe. Ignoring the idiocy of killing it, it made no sense to release just an 8gb model in Europe while planning to release just a 16gb model in US.
    I wonder who had the brilliant idea...
    It certainly seems an odd choice for HP - an apparently 'better' phone has half the storage of the previous model with no expansion options. I suppose we should not be surprised, looking at the history of webOS...
    Yup, but the better phone had the same storage of the previous model ( US variant ). It's just the EU variant that got this treatment, and on top of that .. it's also the only officially released of the 2.
    Moreover I think that "technically" the official retail price of the 8gb was not that different from the planned retail price of the 16gb (but I may be wrong, given that in US carriers are involved, while here it was sold unlocked / not tied to a carrier )

I do really like it, as a phone... but more than once I wished having 16gb to :

-play with chroot
    -add ndrive maps without being left with 0 space left
    -etc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast