Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I seldom use my Pre3 for browsning the net or download podcast while on a cellular network so basicly I dont need a subcription with a lot of data included.

My data usage is usally around 150-170MB per month and I get the impression that most of this is due to the daily backups? Does anyone know how it works and the amount of data that is used? I get the impression its not so effective when it comes data transfer, I seldom change or update something on my phone so shouldnt use soo much data, or?

Is there a solution that will limit this background data and still have a working backup or perhaps a tweak so that it will only backup while on WIFI-network?

Im currently on a 500MB data plan but im thinking it might be possible to squeze me into a 100MB plan if somehow could control the backups.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    If the price difference is basically non existing (15/month vs. 10/month), i woud not bother at all. Except if you are on a tight budget.
    On another note you could call your carrier and ask for a better price model. Data usage seems to go for less and less each day.
    Personally i am on a 200 Mbyte plan and am paying 10 for it (vodafone.de). That is almost always more than enough for my needs.
    Or you could resort to doing the backup manually when you're on wifi. As far as i know, the backup only occurs every 24 hours or thereabouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I seldom use my Pre3 for browsning the net or download podcast while on a cellular network so basicly I dont need a subcription with a lot of data included.

My data usage is usally around 150-170MB per month and I get the impression that most of this is due to the daily backups? Does anyone know how it works and the amount of data that is used? I get the impression its not so effective when it comes data transfer, I seldom change or update something on my phone so shouldnt use soo much data, or?

Is there a solution that will limit this background data and still have a working backup or perhaps a tweak so that it will only backup while on WIFI-network?

Im currently on a 500MB data plan but im thinking it might be possible to squeze me into a 100MB plan if somehow could control the backups.
    It's possible to go into the settings in the phone dialler and switch off data use. There is also a data toggle app in Preware I think.

I think the back up usually happens in the early hours of the morning for me - I don't know that there's anyway to set the time, but if you note the time (last backup time is displayed a few seconds after you open the app.) and switch of mobile data before you go to sleep, then it should happen automatically via wifi.

Another option is to simply switch off automatic back up, then reactivate to back up manually ('Back up now') when conveniently near to wifi.

Possibly, you could set something up with the Mode switcher app.