Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I posted this message on another thread but didn't get any responses so I figured I'd start a new thread. I just replaced the screen on my spare Pre3 that is not activated. I wanted to try it on that phone as a dry run before I replaced the cracked screen on my activated Pre3 . My problem is that I can't get past the first activation page "Sign in to my WebOS account" because the touch screen isn't working. Of course I also can't get to the phone dial pad either. Typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightabstart" doesn't work either. How can I bypass activation and get to developer mode so I can use WOSQI to initialize the screen? Or does the phone need to be activated to be able to initialize a new screen? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobrodan View Post
    I posted this message on another thread but didn't get any responses so I figured I'd start a new thread. I just replaced the screen on my spare Pre3 that is not activated. I wanted to try it on that phone as a dry run before I replaced the cracked screen on my activated Pre3 . My problem is that I can't get past the first activation page "Sign in to my WebOS account" because the touch screen isn't working. Of course I also can't get to the phone dial pad either. Typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightabstart" doesn't work either. How can I bypass activation and get to developer mode so I can use WOSQI to initialize the screen? Or does the phone need to be activated to be able to initialize a new screen? Thanks.
    Palm had a DeviceTool.JAR (that would unlock a phone into developer mode), however, it was designed around the Pre/PrePlus/Pixi/PixiPlus, to make it work one has to add uImages to the tool.

There are several Threads on it...

DeviceTool.Jar...
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Palm had a DeviceTool.JAR (that would unlock a phone into developer mode), however, it was designed around the Pre/PrePlus/Pixi/PixiPlus, to make it work one has to add uImages to the tool.

There are several Threads on it...

DeviceTool.Jar...
    Thanks for responding John. I've tried the .jar tool but it doesn't recognize the phone since I can't put it in dev mode or "just charge". I was hoping that there was a way to do it with the buttons on the phone but nothing seems to work. I may have to activate the phone to do it.
    That tool is for 1.x.

I would expect the screen to be working as soon as it's connected, an you would then tap to place emergency call, erase 911 and type in webos20090606. You may try typing with the keyboard instead?

Id recheck the ribbon connectors are seated properly.
    Thanks for responding John. I've tried the .jar tool but it doesn't recognize the phone since I can't put it in dev mode or "just charge". I was hoping that there was a way to do it with the buttons on the phone but nothing seems to work. I may have to activate the phone to do it.
    Did you read the documentation for devicetool.jar? You use it from booty mode, not dev mode with the phone fully booted. Hold power and volume up till you see the screen with the USB symbol on it, plug it into computer and run devicetool.jar. As long as you have it set up for that device it will work for ANY webOS device.
    Baikalien likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    That tool is for 1.x.

I would expect the screen to be working as soon as it's connected, an you would then tap to place emergency call, erase 911 and type in webos20090606. You may try typing with the keyboard instead?

Devicetool.jar is for ANY webOS device any version you have a uiimage for. See this thread:
    DeviceTool.Jar...

However I agree, something else is wrong if your touchscreen isn't working. It should work right out of the box no initialization needed.
    barryb20 likes this.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to update the touchscreen firmware per Herrie's instructions in this thread: Cracked Pre3 screen
    Apparently it is is not uncommon to have to do this after installing a new screen. I can put the phone in USB mode no problem. I thought Doctoring it might help but I can't Doctor it because Doctor says the "device is not compatible with this version" and I thonk I have the newest version. I'm not sure why the Device.jar isn't working - I'll get back into it tonight. Thanks again for the help.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to update the touchscreen firmware per Herrie's instructions in this thread: Cracked Pre3 screen
    Apparently it is is not uncommon to have to do this after installing a new screen. I can put the phone in USB mode no problem. I thought Doctoring it might help but I can't Doctor it because Doctor says the "device is not compatible with this version" and I thonk I have the newest version. I'm not sure why the Device.jar isn't working - I'll get back into it tonight. Thanks again for the help.
    With different webOS versions come with different touchscreen firmware versions.

So when you replace the touchscreen on Veer with 2.2.4 with a touchscreen from a Veer 2.1.2 it will not work due to different firmware versions. It will be necessary to run "PmTpUpdater -f" using NovaTerm or WOSQI to update the Touchpanel firmware. Afterwards it should work.

The correct order of commands usually is:

stop hidd
    PmTpUpdater -f
    start hidd
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    That tool is for 1.x.

I also found a very nice website which, indicates you to place the phone into developer mode as soon as the phone turns on.....tap on the emergency call button:

1. For a GSM phone, type in #*3386633#, or for a CDMA phone, ##3386633#. This will open a screen about developer mode, after you turn it on...the device will restart.

Hope this provides the answer, you were looking for.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 05/13/2014 at 03:25 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I also found a very nice website which, indicates you to place the phone into developer mode as soon as the phone turns on.....tap on the emergency call button:

1. For a GSM phone, type in #*3386633#, or for a CDMA phone, ##3386633#. This will open a screen about developer mode.

Hope this provides the answer, you were looking for.
    I don't need help, but thanks for attempting.

The OP couldn't tap emergency call with non functional touch screen. But I'm pretty sure the mode can be prompted with the keyboard too.

My mistake was confusing which tool is specifically for 1.x since there is no ##devmode available on that version.

But OPs problem is two fold if that screen didn't work immediately. I hope he's resolved it already.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Still working on it. I can't use WOSQI on it, so I'm going to activate it later today and do it that way. No problem getting it into UBS/recovery mode, but it is not recognized by any webOS programs or the computer. I think once it's activated it will be recognized. I'll let you know. Thanks Herrie for the help.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Well, since I can't make the *228 call to activate the phone with the touchscreen (I hoped I could do it with the keyboard) I'm going to put the old screen back in, activate the phone, then put the new screen in again and use WOSQI to update the firmware on the screen. If someone has an idea of how to backdoor access the phone without going through this I'd love to hear it. But changing screens is not that big a deal.
    if you're having trouble getting it into devmode, what about a different doctor version that it likes? anything to get it to init the screen first, then redoctor afterward? good luck!

i'm still wondering why # wouldn't let you enter devmode code from keyboard. is it #* for gsm phones? #*devmode# ??? ugh report back if you get anywhere!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    No problem getting it into dev/recovery mode. My problem is getting the devicetool to work. I can't find the mantaray.uimage file that it needs. It is supposed to be in the webOS Doctor Version 224mantawr, but I can't find it. I have put all of the images I can find in that version into the devicetool Image folder and I still get the same error message "missing resourceimages/nova-installer-image-mantaray.uImage". I can doctor the phone but can't access it with WOSQI.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I found the uImage file in a .tar file after I unzipped it. Thanks to Herrie's and John Steffes' help I'm up and running. Thanks.