1.    #1  
    My daily pre3 won't close all the way and I've never gotten the speaker working after switching the LCD. I also have to apply pressure to the back of the phone to get the headset speaker to work..also..the mode selector no longer has "airplane mode" and the led flash and flashlight won't work..i think that's it....oh..the headphone jack issue..
    so, for all of the above reasons, I'm going to switch to one of my back up phones...
    when I try to save the files via usb, I get an error about filenames being too long. I've switched to C:1 and still no luck..no luck on my home server or with dvd...I've found the files, they are in the .palm directory. What is this and is there a work around? I wonder if something in there is corrupt and leads to my other software/firmware issues. Any help/ideas is much appreciated.
    thanks
  2.    #2  
    I guess the title should be .palm folder and not .palm file...
    Quote Originally Posted by homer14z View Post
    My daily pre3 won't close all the way and I've never gotten the speaker working after switching the LCD. I also have to apply pressure to the back of the phone to get the headset speaker to work..also..the mode selector no longer has "airplane mode" and the led flash and flashlight won't work..i think that's it....oh..the headphone jack issue..
    so, for all of the above reasons, I'm going to switch to one of my back up phones...
    when I try to save the files via usb, I get an error about filenames being too long. I've switched to C:1 and still no luck..no luck on my home server or with dvd...I've found the files, they are in the .palm directory. What is this and is there a work around? I wonder if something in there is corrupt and leads to my other software/firmware issues. Any help/ideas is much appreciated.
    thanks
    .palm directory...

Do not delete it...

This is the crypto directory this is mapped to /media/cryptofs/ when the device is booted normal.

So if you delete it you loose your Applications, you can mount this only if you know the crypto key (which is based on the device info tokens).

You can not copy this to another device unless copy it to your /media/internal which will un-encrypt the applications.
  4.    #4  
    thanks..so I don't need to copy that one. I've copied all files to every device that I have used until now..prob why I have had issues.
    which file do I need to copy? I did the save/restore. I have had luck getting my photos, music and emails so far. I have also had luck with my apps.
    Do I copy everything but the .palm directory?
    thanks again
    thanks..so I don't need to copy that one. I've copied all files to every device that I have used until now..prob why I have had issues.
    which file do I need to copy? I did the save/restore. I have had luck getting my photos, music and emails so far. I have also had luck with my apps.
    Do I copy everything but the .palm directory?
    thanks again
    Backup all...

Then review what you want to keep and delete what you don't...

Again, go to /media/cryptofs (on device thru wterm or novaterm) to get all that is under .palm...

Other then that, the new device will have a different crypto key and there for it's .palm will be different, but you can copy files from one device to another as long as you use the /media/cryptofs/* (on device) when mounted as USB it is un-mounted from /media/cryptofs.
    title changed
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    .palm directory...

Do not delete it...

This is the crypto directory this is mapped to /media/cryptofs/ when the device is booted normal.

So if you delete it you loose your Applications, ..
    Hmm, on my Pre3 I found this .palm folder with some 19000 files with more than 1GB of space.
    I decided to clean out the /media/cryptofs/tmp directory (I have the nodeleteipk patch) and then rebooted the Pre3.
    After reboot I find some 29000 files in the .palm folder hierarchy in some 4400 folders.
    I think this is too much.
    How can I clean up this .palm folder?
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Hmm, on my Pre3 I found this .palm folder with some 19000 files with more than 1GB of space.
    I decided to clean out the /media/cryptofs/tmp directory (I have the nodeleteipk patch) and then rebooted the Pre3.
    After reboot I find some 29000 files in the .palm folder hierarchy in some 4400 folders.
    I think this is too much.
    How can I clean up this .palm folder?
    If I understand above comments in older messages correctly the directory ".palm" as seen from a USB connection is the same as "/media/cryptofs"

Cleaning out the tmp in there is okay, but otherwise I would not touch too much in there.