1.    #1  
    Time is passing by and the hope for our beloved WebOS is almost gone. Some TVs withs something WebOS like under the surface, some hard working dudes trying to port OpenWebOS to new devices, some hopeless tries to convince LG making WebOS Phones...

So it isn't that amazing, that some people are even considering to engeneer and own phone... Some old threads here about that, all ending with "impossible".

But what about upgrading the Pre3 with some extra ram, maybe a better batterie, better cam, whatever an trying to convince HP (*lol*) ore the manufacturer that made the Pre3 to build it? Sure whoever is owning the right on this piece must agree, but maybe there is some money to be made with that. Almost no cost for engenieering, no new patents, quiet old parts maybe cheap to get. Sell such a phone maybe on the double Firesale Price or somewhat about 200/$ and I'm sure there will be buyers.

Yeah I know, almost no chance, but I can't abandon my Pre3 until there's a real alternative :-)

Cheers from germany!
    Quote Originally Posted by FizWahn View Post
    Time is passing by and the hope for our beloved WebOS is almost gone. Some TVs withs something WebOS like under the surface, some hard working dudes trying to port OpenWebOS to new devices, some hopeless tries to convince LG making WebOS Phones...

So it isn't that amazing, that some people are even considering to engeneer and own phone... Some old threads here about that, all ending with "impossible".

But what about upgrading the Pre3 with some extra ram, maybe a better batterie, better cam, whatever an trying to convince HP (*lol*) ore the manufacturer that made the Pre3 to build it? Sure whoever is owning the right on this piece must agree, but maybe there is some money to be made with that. Almost no cost for engenieering, no new patents, quiet old parts maybe cheap to get. Sell such a phone maybe on the double Firesale Price or somewhat about 200/$ and I'm sure there will be buyers.

Yeah I know, almost no chance, but I can't abandon my Pre3 until there's a real alternative :-)

Cheers from germany!
    Technically some things would be "easily" (that doesn't mean it would be cheap) feasible :

the internal storage is on a plugin board, so that part could be upgraded from 8 to 16gb (finding who produced for hp and hoping that there are 16gb batches left), or a custom one "could" be designed

The camera is on a plugin board too, so a camera module "could" be designed and swapped in ( likely the photo app would require changes )

The simcard slot is on a plugin board too.

A bigger battery was sold by a 3rd party with a custom back (not allowing wireless charging) and could still be purchased I guess (to charge wirelessly, a proper back cover would be required)

Adding more ram "could" be feasible if : 1) pin to pin compatible modules with x2 capacity are available, and 2) the memory controller allows for such capacity ( I would assume that 1gb could be allowed, more could be not ).
    I'd be Happy just to be able to buy new bezel, back cover, speaker housing (has broken screw mounts)
    My electronics are fine but the plastic is cracking everywhere, very thin and delicate ,few drops have not been kind. I can't justify buying a replacement pre3 unless it low cost, its old hardware with old software, I rather get latest nexus phone and hope to port open webos to it.
    Last edited by Firepower; 03/12/2014 at 07:29 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Technically some things would be "easily" (that doesn't mean it would be cheap) feasible :

the internal storage is on a plugin board, so that part could be upgraded from 8 to 16gb (finding who produced for hp and hoping that there are 16gb batches left), or a custom one "could" be designed

The camera is on a plugin board too, so a camera module "could" be designed and swapped in ( likely the photo app would require changes )

The simcard slot is on a plugin board too.

A bigger battery was sold by a 3rd party with a custom back (not allowing wireless charging) and could still be purchased I guess (to charge wirelessly, a proper back cover would be required)

Adding more ram "could" be feasible if : 1) pin to pin compatible modules with x2 capacity are available, and 2) the memory controller allows for such capacity ( I would assume that 1gb could be allowed, more could be not ).
    Thx Mazzinia, sounds like some upgrades where at least possible.
    So the more difficult part would be to dicover who build it, to what cost anf if it was possible to restart production at low cost. Once all that is known it would be possible to calculate if a kickstarter campaign ore something similar would make sense...

Quiet a lot conjunctive....

@Firepower: Some new plastic parts would realy be nice. Front bezel brocken in the upper right, back upper left AND right. But's stil working fine...
    Agreed on the degrading plastics shell here. I would love if someone could mold some new cases. Glueing it all together only helps so long and looks not so hot. Upgrading the hardware isn't my main concern either, upgrading the internal browser, which powers webOS in the core, that would be the real winner. It would add more website compatibility but more importantly it would increase the overall speed of the system. I think this would be the route to take, but as it seems, the HTML5 Update for the webOS browser is in low manpower and I can't help because I am nowhere near as good a developer for such a task.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    If someone has a 3D printer maybe they could offer a replacement part service.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    If someone has a 3D printer maybe they could offer a replacement part service.

Check: Possibility of new replacement screen bezels for the Pre3... Anyone interested?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    I recall Rod Whitby and/or webOS internals swapped some US 16Gb Pre3 storage into the 8Gb EU versions. I think there were maybe instructions, but of course you have to buy 2 phones...

Search for the thread?

Might be worth it if you could get a broken phone with intact memory...
    Unfortunately that thread fizzled out without resolution. I'd be in line to buy a replacement bezel if anyone ever manages it. In fact I noticed my back is now also starting to crack but that may be trickier to replace.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Unfortunately that thread fizzled out without resolution. I'd be in line to buy a replacement bezel if anyone ever manages it. In fact I noticed my back is now also starting to crack but that may be trickier to replace.
    I never was able to get a hold of 3D drawings, and it seems that the equipment I have for 3D scanning is really just "tinkering" grade, and not with enough detail.. :/ I'd love to be able to make my own bezels and backs.... I have a LEAP and M$ Kinect, if people have suggestions! (I haven't investigated for a few months.)

Also, I really want to do a RAM upgrade (1GB or 2GB would do WONDERS). I am not sure who makes the RAM chip. I know that the storage chip on the board with the SIM card slot is a SanDisk SDIN4C2-*G (-16G for 16GB, -8G for 8GB). The storage chip is mounted using a BGA, so I suspect that the RAM is the same. This might be harder for those without the proper equipment (I know I don't have it -- standard soldering iron won't work). I also don't know what all is needed to perform a full memory upgrade, in terms of lower level integration.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I have one of those phones. I purchased the 8gb Att Pre3

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I recall Rod Whitby and/or webOS internals swapped some US 16Gb Pre3 storage into the 8Gb EU versions. I think there were maybe instructions, but of course you have to buy 2 phones...

Search for the thread?

Might be worth it if you could get a broken phone with intact memory...
    this kind of home brew upgrading is what i was asking about a bit ago but in regard to the pre2 chassis, which i thought could be a better platform because of its availability. then concerns of fabricating bezels wouldn't apply.

also can a modem modem be sourced easier since it's modular vs integrated?

i like the idea of upgrading existing hardware like a desktop tower pc. especially since my handset looks brand new. is it possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I never was able to get a hold of 3D drawings, and it seems that the equipment I have for 3D scanning is really just "tinkering" grade, and not with enough detail.. :/ I'd love to be able to make my own bezels and backs.... I have a LEAP and M$ Kinect, if people have suggestions! (I haven't investigated for a few months.)
    I have a suggestion. Don't laugh...

I know we live in a wonderful digital age, but If you lack top end 3D scanning technology, you could measure and draw the part. There are ways to calculate the centers of curves and such. Of course, depending on complexity, this might be quite a job.

Would this work as a 'lower tech' shortcut?
    1. Lay the part flat on a document scanner and scan.
    2. Stick that scanned surface to a small block of wood (or whatever you have) that is roughly the same surface size, but will support the object.
    3. Now you can lay the block on it's side and scan the side elevation of the object. Likewise, you can do the ends, moving the part if the block isn't the perfect size.
    4. Import the images to a CAD program and trace the edges as elevations. This will create at least a rough model you can improve. It's likely the scanner resoultion is comparable or better than 3D printing resolution.

Drawbacks:
    * This will hopefully scan the contacting edges accurately (check this), but where the part curves away from the platten, there will be slight distortion and possibly lack of focus, so these areas will have to be corrected by measuring.
    * If the part material is flexible, it will need to be held in the correct shape as it will be on the phone - easier if it is rigid.

Of course, a better image can be obtained with a camera, but then you have to account for lens distortion. In film effects, this is done when altering live action shots, but I believe they shoot a known object or chart with the actual lens, then the computer can calculate distortion and alter it's rendering to match existing footage - you maybe don't have those resources. For areas that won't meet the scanner surface, you could place an accurate measure at the plane of the internal surface and photograph. Then size the image of the scale in the CAD program to match it's measurements.

The above might be enough to get images of a simple object that you can use to create a 3D model. If not, there's measuring & calculating..... BUT!

Depending on where you live, There's a good chance there is a community workshop. What's the trendy name? Maker spaces?
    There might well be a decent 3D scanning and printing setup there that you could use. It makes all the elaborate messing about with 2D scanners redundant - I have a bad habit of coming up with complicated ways to do simple things! ;-) But I'll leave it there in case you want to do it all yourself and fancy a challenge.