Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  1.    #1  
    Ok,
    After all that fannying about with getting the Pre 3 to pull in my FB contacts... Apart from merging them with other accounts of the same person and using their thumbnail pics, there doesn't seem to be a lot else you can do with them?
    As with my 'Skype' contacts... I can 'instant' message them, as though i'm sending a txt message etc...

What about FB? seems stupid that no FB IM feature was integrated into Synergy?
    Does a stable, non-corrupting, easy to install patch / plugin exist to allow you to 'chat' with your FB contacts, WITHOUT having to use the 'aging' FB App?

Cheers
    Al
    There is a Facebook chat thread around here somewhere, and I believe something in Preware.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    ananimus likes this.
    QuickChat for Facebook's pretty nice.
    I have quick chat ...works well ...gives you a tone when someone posts ...the webos facebook app is separate from it & the chat app will work stand alone ...if you use the native browser, facebuuk works great & chat is integrated in2it ...you can turn it off ...it doesn't give you a tone when someone posts, but you get a bang in the top bar ...take your pleasure...
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    Ok,
    After all that fannying about with getting the Pre 3 to pull in my FB contacts... Apart from merging them with other accounts of the same person and using their thumbnail pics, there doesn't seem to be a lot else you can do with them?
    As with my 'Skype' contacts... I can 'instant' message them, as though i'm sending a txt message etc...

What about FB? seems stupid that no FB IM feature was integrated into Synergy?
    Does a stable, non-corrupting, easy to install patch / plugin exist to allow you to 'chat' with your FB contacts, WITHOUT having to use the 'aging' FB App?

Cheers
    Al
    you mean on the almost dead webOS ??
    Since this bumped, the thread Alan linked is the workaround to wedge FB chat into Synergy.

ananimus puts on his smoking jacket and has the kids gather 'round

IIRC, when Synergy first came out, FB was some proprietary protocol. Shortly thereafter FB moved over to using a Jabber/XMPP protocol. It was realized in webOS 1.4 it was a simple matter of unlocking Linux tools to add FB to Synergy.

Then... well I'm not entirely sure what happened then, but this workaround didn't stick at some point along the road. webOS 2, or some blasted thing. It just got a bit more complicated for some folks in webOS 2-Land. Instead one of the good folks 'round here took the time to put up a very fine QuickChat app drafted in our very own Enyo. Still others take the time to bake it in the old-fashioned way.

Anyway kids, you can read all about it here at the 'Nation.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    you mean on the almost dead webOS ??
    Almost dead or not, that is irrelevant, and actually sounded like a miserable little dig.
    However, when it was 'Live' ... I was merely wandering why wasn't the ability to chat to your FB contacts as an IM account added, as you can in skype, google talk etc......

Thus I was looking for a work around, one that ideally merged with synergy, but clearly there are some options.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    Almost dead or not, that is irrelevant, and actually sounded like a miserable little dig.
    However, when it was 'Live' ... I was merely wandering why wasn't the ability to chat to your FB contacts as an IM account added, as you can in skype, google talk etc......

Thus I was looking for a work around, one that ideally merged with synergy, but clearly there are some options.
    I love the webOS on Pre 3 ...but, surely money changes hands (zuk to meg) to make facebook work on devices... I think the google voice chat incompatibility is soft evidence of this... Zuk & Google want to win & our devices & our money (minutes of air) are the battlefield they use for free...
    someone has the homebrew parch Greg Roll you can post it and so I can download?. thanks
    the free catalog app is dated & somewhat clunky but functions ...no chat. Catalog has a separate paid chat app that works very well & notifies. The facebook site on stock browser works great and has chat built in which is togglable but does not give audible notify like stand alone chat. I have them all & use web portal mostly.