Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anon(679606)
  1.    #1  
    Ok,
    Now that my Pre 3 seems to have 'settled down' nicely..
    I am, noticing a 'quirk' with the email..
    I have my pre3 set up with 3 email accounts...
    Two of them are web accounts, being: an msn.com account & a Gmail account.
    The third is a Pop3 account for my company.

    When emails are intercepted by the two web accounts, i get the notification sound, the little gesture area blinks, and the In-boxes SHOW a number on the right hand side showing the number of emails received..
    And crucially STAY like this until i go into the inbox, AND either read the email, or mark it as read. - Just going into the inbox, and NOT reading the mail KEEPS the number showing by the inbox correctly.
    - In Other Words. They are working Perfectly & correctly!

    NOTE: I do NOT have email mega mix patch installed...

    With the domain (pop) based account, something strange is going on...
    Upon receiving an initial test email (or just receiving one normally), the alert will sound, the gesture area will blink, and a number will appear to the right of the Inbox..
    However, WITHOUT me going into the inbox, or actually touching the phone, or opening the email in any way,
    the number DISAPPEARS all by itself after approx 10 secs... When i then go in the inbox, the email IS still there, but NOT Bold, thus meaning it has been flagged as 'read', automatically, without my intervention!!!?

    Even Stranger... When i send a second test email,... The phone shows NO notifications of receipt what so ever, NO sound, NO blinking gesture, and NO number by the inbox. However when I go into the inbox, the new email(s) IS THERE, but not bold thus meaning it has been flagged as read by webOS immediately!?
    - Going into the settings, ALL notifications are switched on..

    If i reboot the phone, the notification process works again for the FIRST new received test email, If however i leave the email unread, and send another test email, NO notifications are received... The (1) counter by the inbox, DISAPPEARS without my intervention, then when i go into the inbox, the SECOND new email HAS been received, but not only marks itself as read, it ALSO marks the first one that WAS showing 'unread', as 'read' as well... - Thus rebooting the phone is not a fix.

    - Whilst it's not a 'disaster', as the emails ARE being received.. The fact that it is not making any arrival notifications, & marking as 'read' automatically, is clearly some kind of 'bug' perhaps?, but might make me miss emails that need to be read by Hours potentially, if the phone is out of site/out of mind...

    Any thoughts on WHY this is happening?
    Best
    Al
    Last edited by mr-scorpio; 03/04/2014 at 08:52 AM.
  2. #2  
    I've no idea but it sounds as if another process (perhaps anti spam or antivirus software) marks the mail as read.
    I think that "the problem" should be at server side and not on the phone. Have you tried with another non-webos phone?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by juanma_1980 View Post
    I've no idea but it sounds as if another process (perhaps anti spam or antivirus software) marks the mail as read.
    I think that "the problem" should be at server side and not on the phone. Have you tried with another non-webos phone?
    Hi,
    Yes, this email account has been active for ages on my previous android phone, with no problems..
    And in fact, after all the messing around with trying to get the FB contacts to download,.. Which it finally did all by itself..... it DID used to behave itself properly...
    The ONLY thing that has changed, after the FB resolved,, was ADDING most of my patches back on.. 'Except for the Email Mega Mix Patch''
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    Hi,
    Yes, this email account has been active for ages on my previous android phone, with no problems..
    And in fact, after all the messing around with trying to get the FB contacts to download,.. Which it finally did all by itself..... it DID used to behave itself properly...
    The ONLY thing that has changed, after the FB resolved,, was ADDING most of my patches back on.. 'Except for the Email Mega Mix Patch''
    It's really unusual. Pop3 it's a well known protocol and should not be a problem. IMHO there must be something "reading" the mails and fooling phone's email. I can't think of anything else.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    Hi,
    Yes, this email account has been active for ages on my previous android phone, with no problems..
    And in fact, after all the messing around with trying to get the FB contacts to download,.. Which it finally did all by itself..... it DID used to behave itself properly...
    The ONLY thing that has changed, after the FB resolved,, was ADDING most of my patches back on.. 'Except for the Email Mega Mix Patch''
    The number you mention is not for New Mail, per se but rather for Unread mail messages; i.e., it counts the number of bold messages. If you have another E-Mail client on a PC somewhere it might be reading the E-Mail as it arrives which the phone realizes causing the Unread counter to decrement and the corresponding messages to lose their bold look. I have several E-Mail clients (PC, tablets and phone) that read the same E-Mail accounts. This is a common case for me. Also, the flashing notification bar on the phone will continue to flash until the E-Mail is acknowledged by the phone user, even if it has been read by another E-Mail client elsewhere.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    Ok,
    Now that my Pre 3 seems to have 'settled down' nicely..
    I am, noticing a 'quirk' with the email..
    I have my pre3 set up with 3 email accounts...
    Two of them are web accounts, being: an msn.com account & a Gmail account.
    The third is a Pop3 account for my company.

    When emails are intercepted by the two web accounts, i get the notification sound, the little gesture area blinks, and the In-boxes SHOW a number on the right hand side showing the number of emails received..
    And crucially STAY like this until i go into the inbox, AND either read the email, or mark it as read. - Just going into the inbox, and NOT reading the mail KEEPS the number showing by the inbox correctly.
    - In Other Words. They are working Perfectly & correctly!

    NOTE: I do NOT have email mega mix patch installed...

    With the domain (pop) based account, something strange is going on...
    Upon receiving an initial test email (or just receiving one normally), the alert will sound, the gesture area will blink, and a number will appear to the right of the Inbox..
    However, WITHOUT me going into the inbox, or actually touching the phone, or opening the email in any way,
    the number DISAPPEARS all by itself after approx 10 secs... When i then go in the inbox, the email IS still there, but NOT Bold, thus meaning it has been flagged as 'read', automatically, without my intervention!!!?

    Even Stranger... When i send a second test email,... The phone shows NO notifications of receipt what so ever, NO sound, NO blinking gesture, and NO number by the inbox. However when I go into the inbox, the new email(s) IS THERE, but not bold thus meaning it has been flagged as read by webOS immediately!?
    - Going into the settings, ALL notifications are switched on..

    If i reboot the phone, the notification process works again for the FIRST new received test email, If however i leave the email unread, and send another test email, NO notifications are received... The (1) counter by the inbox, DISAPPEARS without my intervention, then when i go into the inbox, the SECOND new email HAS been received, but not only marks itself as read, it ALSO marks the first one that WAS showing 'unread', as 'read' as well... - Thus rebooting the phone is not a fix.

    - Whilst it's not a 'disaster', as the emails ARE being received.. The fact that it is not making any arrival notifications, & marking as 'read' automatically, is clearly some kind of 'bug' perhaps?, but might make me miss emails that need to be read by Hours potentially, if the phone is out of site/out of mind...

    Any thoughts on WHY this is happening?
    Best
    Al
    goons are reading your email sending all the hot stuff to snowden...
    ananimus likes this.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    goons are reading your email sending all the hot stuff to snowden...
    jk ...or maybe not completely...
  8. #8  
    1) Can you set up IMAP instead?
    2) ...if not, then oy! This is weird.

    Quote Originally Posted by jrwolff View Post
    The number you mention is not for New Mail, per se but rather for Unread mail messages; i.e., it counts the number of bold messages. If you have another E-Mail client on a PC somewhere it might be reading the E-Mail as it arrives which the phone realizes causing the Unread counter to decrement and the corresponding messages to lose their bold look. I have several E-Mail clients (PC, tablets and phone) that read the same E-Mail accounts. This is a common case for me. Also, the flashing notification bar on the phone will continue to flash until the E-Mail is acknowledged by the phone user, even if it has been read by another E-Mail client elsewhere.
    It might be something along these lines. The bold status and counter on the Inbox is indeed for Unread mail. Maaaaaybe if something else that's talking to the server flags it as Read before your Pre 3 downloads it, that status would come along with it.

    Although IIRC, POP3 is kind of the dumbest protocol. It fetches the mails periodically then shoves them in your face as "new." Status and location of the messages isn't recommunicated to/from the server after that. So hard to manage lots of mail across many devices with POP3 without conflict that I quit using it.

    Anyway, the above may still be true.

    Also, the counter that shows up on the Dashboard notification is only the number of messages you haven't been previously notified about. Not the number of Unread. So if you dismiss a notification, the next time you get email that counter will count from zero again until you dismiss your email notifications again. But it shouldn't change the number you see on the Inboxes in the email app until you actually read them.

    But I think you got that already.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    goons are reading your email sending all the hot stuff to snowden...
    LOL, Quite possibly! :-D
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    1) Can you set up IMAP instead?
    2) ...if not, then oy! This is weird.



    It might be something along these lines. The bold status and counter on the Inbox is indeed for Unread mail. Maaaaaybe if something else that's talking to the server flags it as Read before your Pre 3 downloads it, that status would come along with it.

    Although IIRC, POP3 is kind of the dumbest protocol. It fetches the mails periodically then shoves them in your face as "new." Status and location of the messages isn't recommunicated to/from the server after that. So hard to manage lots of mail across many devices with POP3 without conflict that I quit using it.

    Anyway, the above may still be true.

    Also, the counter that shows up on the Dashboard notification is only the number of messages you haven't been previously notified about. Not the number of Unread. So if you dismiss a notification, the next time you get email that counter will count from zero again until you dismiss your email notifications again. But it shouldn't change the number you see on the Inboxes in the email app until you actually read them.

    But I think you got that already.
    I've has it set 'and working' with both Pop3 AND Imap.... I'ts just this seemingly 'random' behaviour, where sometimes it chooses to leave the message 'unread', & thus show the little number in the folder browser, OR as detailed above, the moment the email lands in the inbox, 'something' is flagging it as 'read'.... & thus stopping it from making any kind of notification as well..
    The only 'plus' side is that at least the emails ARE arriving.....
  11. #11  
    And you can rule out that no other computer is flagging it as read, especially before it arrives on your device?

    If so, this is another strange one. Thought I'd seen 'em all. Really don't know how you show up and find all these new glitches! Rough run, man.
  12.    #12  
    Well it is random.. And no, i don't have another program 'flagging' the email.
    Yes i do have outlook, & all is syncing percectly.. But the emails pop in 'sometimes' & being marked as 'read' when outlook is not running... Similarly, outlook may be running & an email pops in to both the phone and outlook & behaves itself & stays 'unread' until i read it...
    Most odd..
    The two web accounts (MSN & Gmail) are behaving themselves ALL the time without fail AND i ALSO have them configured in outlook too...
    As i said though... at least i AM getting the emails :-D
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    goons are reading your email sending all the hot stuff to snowden...
    When you have ruled out the improbable, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!

Similar Threads

  1. WM6 email vs Flexmail- thoughts?
    By aslmentor in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09/19/2007, 08:04 PM
  2. Favorites odd behaviour
    By neo_treo in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07/10/2007, 06:37 AM
  3. Odd (but revealing) behaviour of Messaging app.
    By checkmate in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11/08/2006, 11:59 AM
  4. Strange behaviour
    By GreenHex in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03/02/2006, 08:59 PM
  5. My thoughts on Chatter email ....
    By Tiffany in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06/15/2005, 11:16 PM

Posting Permissions