Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

My Pre3's screen just went blank. I opened it and found the LCD cables slightly damaged, so I suspect that is the problem.

Anyone knows where can I find a replacement cable?
    Another Pre 3.

Rarely you might find someone selling display assemblies online. Don't recall if they include the ribbon. Easier to find a parts Pre 3, imho.

I've heard warnings about this for the Pre 3 and Veer. People hear the clicking of the display ribbon not seated properly inside the device. Sure enough, disassembly shows what you say: it's folding over incorrectly and fatiguing the cable.

It hurts you didn't catch it sooner!
    I thought it was just the volume ribbon that had the slider-cutting problem.
    Try HP or your favourite online second hand sales sites for broken handsets you could use for spares (or actual spares)

There is a marketplace thread here where you can post that you Want To Buy...
    http://forums.webosnation.com/marketplace/
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I thought it was just the volume ribbon that had the slider-cutting problem.
    D'oh! You're right of course. The top reports are volume ribbon, and those are the threads I was remembering.

Yeah, this might be the first I've heard of the display ribbon getting cut. Looking at (Rod's teardown), I guess the display connector is in pic 18. Looks pretty rugged actually. Hmm.

Does the OP feel brave enough to continue exploratory surgery? More detailed pictures of the damage might help, if only in case someone else runs into this.
  6.    #6  
    From the disassemble pics you can see the cable is in reality a bunch of smaller ones together. In mine I can clearly see that 2 of those little cables are now "looser" than the others, I suspect they were disconnected from the main connector.

Will browse the web for someone selling a Pre3 for parts.

I'll keep trying just for the sake of it, my sister was the one using the phone at the moment and really likes it.
    I do have a part out unit. PM and we can discuss.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  8.    #8  
    Everything working again!
    Bought a Pre3 with network reception problems from a forum member and swapped the LCD
    HP Touchpad 16gb
    HP Pre 3 8Gb
    Nexus 4 16gb
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundSurfer View Post
    Everything working again!
    Bought a Pre3 with network reception problems from a forum member and swapped the LCD
    hii,

do yiu have the remaining parts of you Pre3 badrecepton.Iam iinterested in theeSIM cardmodule. Minehas bad coontact

Regards

Kcer
    you swapped the lcd without breaking your speakers? or did you fix the speakers after? just curious. good job either way.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by homer14z View Post
    you swapped the lcd without breaking your speakers? or did you fix the speakers after? just curious. good job either way.
    Hummm, I had no problem with the speakers, just replaced the whole LCD Assembly, including the cable
    HP Touchpad 16gb
    HP Pre 3 8Gb
    Nexus 4 16gb
    great job. the speaker contacts are very slight and ;pretty easy to break upon disassembly. Had to apply solder to make the contacts work again. My screens were new and I had to initialize them in order to get the touch screen to work.