Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    For the last few months my phone is using up so much download & I cannot work out why? It has been suggested that maybe one of my apps is connecting in the background without my knowing but I cannot work out which 1 and why as none would obviously be running (so I think!)

I rarely use a browser & mainly acees my emails - even then I have set it to check only hourly.

Any ideas?

Using Pre 3 version 2.24

Thanks
    This is probably your profile being backed up to the HP servers.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thanks Herrie

Is it possible to preset the time for the profile to be updated so that am more likely to be on wifi?

That said I didnt think my profile would increase so dramatically that it gets through 1Gb in the space of 2 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    This is probably your profile being backed up to the HP servers.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    1 GB per month though? Even at once per day, that seems high.

Quote Originally Posted by martin124 View Post
    Thanks Herrie

Is it possible to preset the time for the profile to be updated so that am more likely to be on wifi?

That said I didnt think my profile would increase so dramatically that it gets through 1Gb in the space of 2 weeks.
    Possibly just leaving phone on wifi overnight. Not sure what the schedule for it is, but it's roughly once per day. So some day turn on wifi before bed and manually start a backup that first time so it knows when.

Still, I'd think you'd need an awfully huge contact list for that to happen.

If you get a lot of emails, you might also check your email download settings. e.g., the default is download attachments manually, not automatically. Smart to double check that if conserving data.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thanks Ananimus - agree with your thoughts. I egt aroung 20 emails per day. Very rarely open up attacments with them. Surely most emials are a max of 20kb?

Yes I do have a large number of people in my contact list but how large would it really have to be to affect the useage of 1Gb over a 2-4w period

Any other ideas?
    Thanks Ananimus - agree with your thoughts. I egt aroung 20 emails per day. Very rarely open up attacments with them. Surely most emials are a max of 20kb?

Yes I do have a large number of people in my contact list but how large would it really have to be to affect the useage of 1Gb over a 2-4w period

Any other ideas?
    Just that I meant whether or not you open the attachments, it may still be downloading them automatically in case you want them. That can add up fast if turned on and I don't remember for sure which is the default. I always verify myself automatic attachment download is off since I only open attachments on my mobile for urgent stuff.

That's not to dismiss Herrie's suggestion though. He probably has a better idea of how big the daily backup actually is.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Just that I meant whether or not you open the attachments, it may still be downloading them automatically in case you want them. That can add up fast if turned on and I don't remember for sure which is the default. I always verify myself automatic attachment download is off since I only open attachments on my mobile for urgent stuff.

That's not to dismiss Herrie's suggestion though. He probably has a better idea of how big the daily backup actually is.
    Aaahh.. understand your point. Just looked but cannot see how how to turn off automatic download
    "..Aaahh.. understand your point. Just looked but cannot see how how to turn off automatic download.."

'Windows Mobile' used to have that built in to the OS as an option as download 'Headers only' I think..
    But it may be a setting that you will have to access directly through your Mail Server Settings?

If you trust your phone not to glitch out on you in the meantime, maybe just try turning your Palm Backup 'OFF' for a while too.. and check whether you use less Mbs in that period as a result?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/23/2014 at 04:57 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thanks all-of course this is a lot of conjecture -is there any way to know which app(s) is burning up my downloads?
    Thanks all-of course this is a lot of conjecture -is there any way to know which app(s) is burning up my downloads?
    I would conject that turning the most likely suspects 'off'' for a whiile, would give you that knowledge.
    It was also conjected that pressing 'on-off'' button whilst also turning the 'mute' button on & off 3 times,
    performs a deeper-than-normal re-set of the device! That may also assist by kiling any unwanted processes?
    I don't know of a webOS App that monitors radio traffic - but the NSA would probably know of one!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    ananimus likes this.
    Aaahh.. understand your point. Just looked but cannot see how how to turn off automatic download
    Sorry, it's been a while. Looked again and you're right: not only is the default to NOT download attachments automatically, I actually don't seen any option to make it do so. So that's not it.

As for what Mutoidi said, yeah. There was a way to get only headers for messages without the actually body of text until opened on WinMo. Still, I don't think even a few hundred text emails would put you over 1 GB either.

So all around, it would be hard for email to put you over without you knowing.

Herrie, roughly how big IS the nightly backup for someone with a few hundred contacts?
    I just performed a manual Backup on a fairly full TP4G (I normally have Auto-Backup turned 'Off') and 'Preparing' took about 45 secs whilst transmitting the content to the Servers appeared to take about 1.75 minutes.. so what's that at approx --> 54Mbps?
    I presume not only 'Contacts' and some recieved emails, but also all Launcher info's and Installed Apps info etc is also backed up this way?
    ? Is that how it works?

Obviously also, 'Download' use includes any data 'Uploaded'.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/23/2014 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    so what's that at approx --> 54Mbps?
    A lot. But really can't estimate it that way. That would assume it's sent as one huge file (which it may be). If it isn't, a lot of time can be lost on latency back and forth during smaller queries. Also this assumes the receiving server is accepting at your full 54 Mbps (which it likely isn't).

Would have to watch a netstat or something and see how much actual data transfer there is during the process. Surely someone has some idea?

But yeah, it does sound like it's on the order of MB. Surprising to me. I thought it only transmitted the *difference* between what's on the device and in the cloud to minimize data use, among other things.
    A lot. But really can't estimate it that way... Would have to watch a netstat or something and see how much actual data transfer there is during the process. Surely someone has some idea?
    OK.. I just tracked what I *think* was my Internet Provider's approximate data record of another manual Backup on the TP and it anyway appeared to be somewhere well under 5Mb.. so that would probably not amount to more than around 150Mb/Month max, assuming one Auto-Backup of around this size per day?

Mind you, it's probably not that hard to use 1Gb per month just cruising around The Net etc also!

H'okay, so just installed Netstat, checked data use, ran a backup, rechecked Netstat.

According to that, there was a change of 0.8 MB, rounding up. This is for a phone with about 20 catalog apps and Google/Exchange/Facebook/Palm Profile accounts (> 800 contacts )

I migrated all my Palm Profile data out to my Google account a while ago, so there's not much in the Palm Profile contacts. I don't know how much that changes things and how much is re-copied during a phone backup when it's already somewhere else like Google/Exchange server.

If < 1 MB per backup is typical, that's only another 30 MB/mo.

Also, this reminds me. You should check out Netstat on Preware (duh! ). can monitor data use on wifi/wlan and have it block WLAN use when you reach a set level.
    H'okay, so just installed Netstat, checked data use, ran a backup, rechecked Netstat.

According to that, there was a change of 0.8 MB, rounding up. This is for a phone with about 20 catalog apps and Google/Exchange/Facebook/Palm Profile accounts (> 800 contacts )

I migrated all my Palm Profile data out to my Google account a while ago, so there's not much in the Palm Profile contacts. I don't know how much that changes things and how much is re-copied during a phone backup when it's already somewhere else like Google/Exchange server.

If < 1 MB per backup is typical, that's only another 30 MB/mo.

Also, this reminds me. You should check out Netstat on Preware (duh! ). can monitor data use on wifi/wlan and have it block WLAN use when you reach a set level.
    'Netstat' - Right.. thats the one for the OP too then? I'll definitely install & check it out.. thanks!

Seems like it's pretty minimal Mb's for "Backup" iether way..

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    'Netstat' - Right.. thats the one for the OP too then? I'll definitely install & check it out.. thanks!
    Sorry, yeah! Meant to suggest to OP, but you too!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thanks all -have just downloaded Netstat & will see what that shows in 1st instance
    Sorry, yeah! Meant to suggest to OP, but you too!
    Just chattin, while OP was away!

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    So I used 42.3MB today according to Netstat. I also just performed a manual backup & that didn't alter the figure. The auto backup was at 8.15 a.m. today. Does that not imply that the backup is not the issue? I didn't access the web at all. Only connection was to email downloads & opened only 2 emails that were brief in content. No attachments opened at all.

Any other thoughts. Thanks all
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast