Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Hello,

some of you may have read that I fought with my Pre3 over being doctored once more.

I thought everything is fine now (except the missing Youtube App Logo) but now I discovered that the mobile hotspot icon / app is gone and I can't find it!?

Has anyone an idea or solution to this problem? I need the hotspot badly

Thanks alot!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    Hello,

some of you may have read that I fought with my Pre3 over being doctored once more.

I thought everything is fine now (except the missing Youtube App Logo) but now I discovered that the mobile hotspot icon / app is gone and I can't find it!?

Thanks alot!
    I had the same problem after I activated my backup Pre3. I tried first extracting the ipk from the doctor and installing it with both Preware and WSQI, neither were successful, the icon showed up, but wouldn't actually function. I finally got it working by extracting the installed folder from usr/palm/applications on my original Pre 3 and copied it to media/internal on the new Pre 3, used Internalz Pro to move it to usr/palm/applications, rebooted and it worked!
    Which carrier is your Pre3 on?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    Hello,

Thanks alot!
    If you install Freetether it hides the icon and disables the Mobile Hotspot Service?

Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I had the same problem after I activated my backup Pre3. I tried first extracting the ipk from the doctor and installing it with both Preware and WSQI, neither were successful, the icon showed up, but wouldn't actually function. I finally got it working by extracting the installed folder from usr/palm/applications on my original Pre 3 and copied it to media/internal on the new Pre 3, used Internalz Pro to move it to usr/palm/applications, rebooted and it worked!
    Which carrier is your Pre3 on?
    As the Mobile hotspot is a Carrier app, it should be install via the command ipkg install -force-overwrite com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.1.12_armv7.ipk...

Then it will work just fine, copying the source files may work as well but as the Doctors are published getting the IPK from the doctor and installing is the better preferred method.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/23/2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    That is all very interesting

1. I never used fretether
    2. My carrier is o2 (Germany)
    3. I was going to do all the command line input, but haven't had a chance to and suddenly got the message "there is an update for your phone available ... webOS 2.2.4 Build3175" it said and after everything went smooth with the update the Hotspot icon showed back up again as did the Youtube logo and two other services I never use.

So all my fears are gone and I'm nearly happy, because after the update now a new bug is bugging me

All calendar events I enter aren't displayed! They do only show upon a full restart of the phone! I already deinstalled Ubercalender but that didn't do the trick. The trashcan icon is missing as well.

Any ideas on that problem? I have none of the calendar snyc fix patches installed. I guess to much doctoring isn't very smart - seems as soon as you fix one problem, two others pop up.

I would be thankful for any help

Best Jörg
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    If you install Freetether it hides the icon and disables the Mobile Hotspot Service?

As the Mobile hotspot is a Carrier app, it should be install via the command ipkg -install com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.1.12_armv7.ipk...

Then it will work just fine, copying the source files may work as well but as the Doctors are published getting the IPK from the doctor and installing is the better preferred method.
    John,
    If you see my thread http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...-headache.html, I got it installed manually but it won't work, it doesn't seem to be installing properly.
    Sorry for the thread hijack!
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    John,
    If you see my thread http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...-headache.html, I got it installed manually but it won't work, it doesn't seem to be installing properly.
    Sorry for the thread hijack!
    Must be installed via command line...

Remove any install of Mobile Hotspot (via WOQI or Preware)...

Copy the IPK to /media/internal via USB drive eject USB drive.

Novaterm (command line into device)

Type ipkg install -force-overwrite /media/internal/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.1.12_armv7.ipk

Reboot or restart Luna

Once installed it is part of the /usr/palm/applications and is considered a system app not a user based app.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/23/2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Must be installed via command line...

Remove any install of Mobile Hotspot (via WOQI or Preware)...

Copy the IPK to /media/internal via USB drive eject USB drive.

Novaterm (command line into device)

Type ipkg -install /media/internal/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.1.12_armv7.ipk

Reboot or restart Luna

Once installed it is part of the /usr/palm/applications and is considered a system app not a user based app.
    That's a different set of steps than I tried before here: [HOW TO] Install Amazon MP3 app on your unlocked Pre2 (step-by-step)
    When trying your way, I get:
    '-install' ipkg: ipkg must have one sub-command argument ipkg version 0.99.163
    That's a different set of steps than I tried before here: [HOW TO] Install Amazon MP3 app on your unlocked Pre2 (step-by-step)
    When trying your way, I get:
    '-install' ipkg: ipkg must have one sub-command argument ipkg version 0.99.163
    Sorry, I detailed the command incorrectly look at my previous command they both have been corrected...

Instead of ipkg -install it should have been ipkg install -force-overwrite...

Sorry what happens when you try to do things via memory...
    Same result, novaterm shows no errors, the hotspot app opens, but it won't turn on.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    FYI: I Doctored my Unlocked UK Pre3 last week and the Hotspot function was properly restored. I don't know if you can extract it somehow from that Doctor...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    One thing that wish that I could get back on my Palm Pre 3 phone, will be the great 'YouTube' application from the older version of WebOS v2.1 on the Palm Pre 2....its was much better(to view videos) than the icon image on the WebOS 2.2.4 that forces the browser to open up mobile Youtube site (m.youtube.com) which it does not provide a good experience to watch mobile videos on YouTube.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    One thing that wish that I could get back on my Palm Pre 3 phone, will be the great 'YouTube' application from the older version of WebOS v2.1....its was much better than the icon image on the WebOS 2.2.4 that forces the browser to open up mobile Youtube site (m.youtube.com) which it does not provide a good experience to watch videos on YouTube.
    That is quite easy. It is the same thing you had to do to put it on a Touchpad scaled up. The difference is you should install the recent hq video patch, which also fixes the search, before extracting it. Same as the Touchpad is to adjust the package name to keep from overwriting the current stub app. I actually did it the hard way by applying that patch manually to what I had extracted to create the Touchpad HD patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That is quite easy. It is the same thing you had to do to put it on a Touchpad scaled up. The difference is you should install the recent hq video patch, which also fixes the search, before extracting it. Same as the Touchpad is to adjust the package name to keep from overwriting the current stub app.
    Sounds a bit complicated, care to explain in more plain language lol....sorry, I'm not much of tech savvy
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    FYI: I Doctored my Unlocked UK Pre3 last week and the Hotspot function was properly restored. I don't know if you can extract it somehow from that Doctor...
    I've tried both doctors for my VZW Pre3, 2.2.3 and 2.2.4, both do the same thing. Looks like I'll have to use freetether and reset when I need to use it more than once. It took me 10+ hours to activate and get everything setup on my replacement Pre3, not going to doctor it just for the mobile hotspot.
    I've tried both doctors for my VZW Pre3, 2.2.3 and 2.2.4, both do the same thing. Looks like I'll have to use freetether and reset when I need to use it more than once. It took me 10+ hours to activate and get everything setup on my replacement Pre3, not going to doctor it just for the mobile hotspot.
    Not 100% sure about the Mobile Hotspot for the Pre3, with the PrePlus (there is a 5G free hotspot), but with the Pre2/Pre3 they used to charge for the Hotspot, I know now that they have a share everything plan that hotspot functionality was added, but I thought that was for only LTE devices?

The reason it might not turn on the Pre3 is Verizon might be blocking you?

However, I have just tested and on my account (which is a PrePlus), the Mobile Hotspot works fine...
    Not 100% sure about the Mobile Hotspot for the Pre3, with the PrePlus (there is a 5G free hotspot), but with the Pre2/Pre3 they used to charge for the Hotspot, I know now that they have a share everything plan that hotspot functionality was added, but I thought that was for only LTE devices?

The reason it might not turn on the Pre3 is Verizon might be blocking you?

However, I have just tested and on my account (which is a PrePlus), the Mobile Hotspot works fine...
    I am on the share everything plan and it was working on my original Pre3. I will call Verizon and confirm it's setup on the network side.
    Thanks