Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    As the title says,
    If you re-doctor the Pre 3, does it screw the certificate fix, thus having to go through the pain of sorting it again?
    I'm assuming yes?
    Cheers
    Al
    Yes, it does. It lays down a fresh copy of the OS. It generally leaves the USB drive alone, so if you have the catalog update ipk saved there, you can quickly reinstall it with Preware or WebOSQuickInstall after the doctor.
    Can I dream of a world where we have a tool for building our own meta-doctor out of our personal collection of saved apps and patches so that Doctoring immediately includes all our personalization?

No knock on the current recovery tools, of course. Getting it all in one swoop would be nice though.
    Yes, yes you can. This is the land of dreams!

I do think there is some facility to support patches, as there was a patch written by Arthur Thornton to enable profile sign in for activation-bypassed 1.4.5 devices. It's possible it is restricted, but I've never looked into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Can I dream of a world where we have a tool for building our own meta-doctor out of our personal collection of saved apps and patches so that Doctoring immediately includes all our personalization?

No knock on the current recovery tools, of course. Getting it all in one swoop would be nice though.
    Some of my Super Doctors incorporate changes and things one would update...

But as the existing Doctors are copyrighted by HP/Palm and they have not released them to the public domain, we can not share doctors, however, via scripting one can build a fresh doctor which incorporates the CERT files, app catalog...

One of my favorite Super+ doctors I built which is not released to the public, which for the Touchpad/Touchpad Go has updated versions of Kindle/QucikOffice/Adobe Reader/Maps, etc...

Maybe a webOS meetup around?
    ananimus likes this.
    Yeah, even if we can't distribute them, it would be nice to build one and keep it around for future use. I have the other metadoctors I have built stored since I have had issues setting up the build environment at times.
    ananimus likes this.
    Yeah, figured there's distribution issues. Guess the only solution there is to become a Meta wizard like y'all! Or stick to the nice recovery tools we have and do a few things by hand. Really, a lot's automated. But it's a lot of hoops, restoring patches, apps, settings, accounts, yadda yadda...

And really, it's a bit expert anyway. Main reason to Doctor is to "get fresh." Have to be careful not to inject things that would require Doctoring again.
    Ha! I'm no wizard, I've only ever used the pre-made scripts. I found the documentation rather confusing and didn't want to take the time to figure it out. So, special thanks to those that wrote those meta scripts. :thumbsup

Sent using WebOS Nation mobile app
    Perhaps Preware2 will include a button in addition to 'install' and 'remove'. A little red cross that adds a patch to your personal doctor manifest...