View Poll Results: Should ALL apps in the HP app catalog be made FREE now?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: They're stale, out of date, unsupported, Their iOS / Android equivs have been free all along!

5 38.46%
  • NO: I like to be made to pay for stale & forgotten software, when there is no alternative.

8 61.54%
Like Tree22Likes
  • 6 Post By John Steffes
  • 3 Post By creepingmee
  • 5 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By broncot
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By imfallen_angel
  • 3 Post By johncc
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    As the Question asks...

Especially when you consider
    The whole portal isn't being supported any more, other than basic up-keep.

So many of the apps are either orphaned, increasingly out of date, and if interfacing with another service, becoming more & more incompatible.

There's also the fact that an out of date /ageing app might be, or always was FREE on either Android or iOS, thus it could be con-strewed as a bit cheeky to still be charging for something on a defunct platform, that can be got for free somewhere else?

OR Do you think that, yes, they should still charge forever, even if the program is stale & out of date & will probably never be updated?

Thoughts :-D
    Developers should update their apps... I would pay for a working app...

Ok with that stated, I think we as users should have a way/method to force developers to update their apps?

I am not saying I want webOS users to SUE or come up with a class action lawsuit... But I wish we had a voice and we could inform the webOS Developers hey there are users.... FIX your APP...

Bring you apps back from death...

But I know nobody but us and a select few of the webOS developers care....

When I see a new Developer, like Ian Price's AquaVenture, I paid and played, when 10tons updated and released a newer Sparkle, not only did I buy that version, I bought every Sparkle game they made, to make a statement we webOS users are here, and thanks... Just mentioning a few there are more developers, but the big ones EA, Rovio, and GameLoft, just walked away...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/13/2014 at 01:23 PM.
    what about people currently adding new software? Orcrest is a great new game, explorer for dropbox was updated right away. There are people that deserve to have a paid app in the app catalog. If you look at the date and notice 2011 or earlier was the last update, you realize the app could have problems. I just bought an older game from 10tons tennis in the face. Its a great game from a great publisher and I'm happy with it. Of course no one wants to be ripped off, but you don't punish everyone for it.
    This poll presents a false choice. I didn't vote as I don't agree with either answer.

I am also happy to pay for a good app. If the developer wants to offer his or her work to me for free, then I am grateful.

The age of a piece of work does not correlate to it's 'freshness' and new apps are being added, if slowly.

I also agree with John Steffes that apps SHOULD be updated, passed to a new developer, open-sourced or withdrawn from the catalogue - ESPECIALLY if they have a price tag. The particular action is the choice of the dev, but that decision should be made or as a last resort, HP (or whoever may no own the catalogue) should make the decision to remove the app. I'm sure it's in their terms and conditions that they can. As HP don't seem to be doing this I suggest making use of the link below.

It reads like the OP just wants free stuff. If Apple & Android apps are so much better and cheaper, why are you here?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/13/2014 at 01:07 PM.
    cbosdell, bbito, T-Pad and 2 others like this.
    How about a third option-support your paid apps or give them away. I'd be ok with an unsupported free app, but not paying for one. I'd also be glad to pay for an app if the developer hasn't abandoned webOS.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    bbito and Grabber5.0 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    This poll presents a false choice. I didn't vote as I don't agree with either answer.
    My feeling as well!
    cbosdell likes this.
    I'm still buying some on a regular basis, because I still want to send a signal to the developers that WebOs isn't dead.

So I'd have to say... if you (the dev.) no longer care about WebOs, then make it free... best scenario, if the die-hard users of WebOs end up with their device that dies... if they liked your game, they'll probably get it for the next platform they pick.

I just bought King Oddball, Domino and NOVA in the last few days...

and there's some others that I might get, but at this point... at 4$+ for no longer supported Apps, it's getting a bit steep.

I think that at this point, anything left should be dropped to 99 cents, unless the dev. is still supporting it and doing updates.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    If the application does not suit your purposes don't buy it. The last thing that webOS needs is for its remaining few developers to feel cheated.
    namgod, Grabber5.0 and barryb20 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    How about a third option-support your paid apps or give them away. I'd be ok with an unsupported free app, but not paying for one. I'd also be glad to pay for an app if the developer hasn't abandoned webOS.
    THIS.
    barryb20 likes this.
    I agree with everyone else thinking any app shouldn't be forced to be made free. I'm perfectly willing and happy to support a developer and pay for a good app. I know the revenue isn't much at this point but why give someone yet another reason not to develop apps for webOS.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
  11.    #11  
    Personally, I understand fully & agree that developers who ARE current & are STILL supporting their software, should be paid for their hard work..
    Perhaps it should only be 'legacy' software that is now being left to 'fend for itself', that should be made free, whereas just the new & current software, that should be reasonably paid for, if the developer wishes to charge.
    Another option would be to make new & supported software donation-ware?

Just some thoughts.
    Al
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Even free apps require some support.

If an app developer feels pressure to make their apps free because they are not updating them, then suddenly they might get inundated with support requests from people installing the app because it's free. They might just decide to pull it and we would have less apps.

Ben
    Just ask the Flappy Bird guy.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Just ask the Flappy Bird guy.
    LOL that guy is an *****.

"Oh noes $50k a day is too much to handle!!!" *pulls app*

I just don't get it. I understand some folks might be hating on you, but the game wasn't THAT bad considering he made it over 3 nights AFTER work in his free time. It'd take me a week to get close to what he did. But whatever...it's his life. I just don't understand turning down that kind of cash. $50k a day could make me put up with a LOT of crap.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    LOL that guy is an *****.

"Oh noes $50k a day is too much to handle!!!" *pulls app*

I just don't get it. I understand some folks might be hating on you, but the game wasn't THAT bad considering he made it over 3 nights AFTER work in his free time. It'd take me a week to get close to what he did. But whatever...it's his life. I just don't understand turning down that kind of cash. $50k a day could make me put up with a LOT of crap.
    I am curious. How does a free game take 50k daily? in game advertising?

JP
    Como comentan varios de ustedes: Deberían ser gratis, si no mantienen activas y actualizadas sus aplicaciones, significando que no abandonan la plataforma webos, y siguen aportando para su desarrollo; por otro lado, si no mantienen actualizadas sus aplicaciones... para que cobran? deberian ser de libre distribución.

Translated for the majority
    As several of you commented: They should be free, if not kept active and up to date applications, meaning they do not leave the webos platform and continue to contribute to its development; on the other hand, if not kept up to date for applications ... they charge? should be freely available.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/09/2014 at 11:26 PM.
    many, many no longer work ...there is no refund process if the app never functions from the getgo ...it's a mess !!
    the problem with making all apps free is that it punishes the wrong people - the developers who have working apps. The people who have broken apps obviously don't care anymore, so making their apps free is not going to bother them.

It's HP's (or whoever owns that catalog now) responsibility to clean out the catalog of broken apps. I guess making everything free would punish them, because they wouldn't get their 33%, but they are probably losing money any way as it is, so they would sooner just shut the thing down.
    Quote Originally Posted by xortenterprises View Post
    the problem with making all apps free is that it punishes the wrong people - the developers who have working apps. The people who have broken apps obviously don't care anymore, so making their apps free is not going to bother them.

It's HP's (or whoever owns that catalog now) responsibility to clean out the catalog of broken apps. I guess making everything free would punish them, because they wouldn't get their 33%, but they are probably losing money any way as it is, so they would sooner just shut the thing down.
    don't give them any ideas (HP that is) as to how to **** off their few remaining customers...