1.    #1  
    Hi all the experts here,
    I do apologise for bombarding you with a few more questions.
    I've been trying to browse the forums, inspect what is on offer as direct patch downloads, Preware and WOSQI, but a few things are still springing to mind...

I've skimmed thought the 27 PAGE thread on the Virtual Keyboard... However it seems that an easy to follow step-by-step solution isn't really there for the Pre 3?(Or is there?) - Also some potential rotate issues seem to exist? Where you have to either STOP auto-rotation via a patch or risk the pre 3 locking up :-(.. - It also seems like a far more complex task to get working, more than just doing a transfer/install / reboot via WOSQI or Preware (not even in preware).. - Or am i mistaken? :-D

So should i avoid messing with the VKB for now?

A few other things that i haven't found answers to....

1) Does a patch exist to ADD 'power down / reboot' etc to the Top drop down menu? So as to avoid having to keep pressing the power button, & thus minimise wear & tear to the power button?

2) Does a 'clean up' utility exist that can skim through your files (both yours & the system's ..) to SAFELY remove 'junk' & keep the system lean & trim?

3) Being new to WebOS, after installing 72+ patches / apps etc so far... Whilst the little tweaks are nice & I'm not visibly noticing any change in performance, AM i gradually 'clogging' up my Pre 3 & eating into its performance bit by bit? - OR is it all nicely optimised & NO real impact is taking place?

4) Are all the install files in the 'download' folder from the above installs, used in any way? OR are they just surplus files once installed & thus can be deleted?

Many thanks for your excellent advice & support!!
    Best
    Al
    Oh boy, I dont have a pre3, but I can try to help and probly someone with a pre3 can chime in.

First I recommend an app from preware called screen off, I have it as the middle app in my quick launch bar and its great. There is a patch called advanced options in launcher that has a clean up utility available from the drop down menu in the launcher under advanced options.

The keyboard thing is pretty simple, frist install the luna config patch to activate the keyboard. Then run the vkb.sh to stabilize it. Yes, it has a problem with rotation so you will need to dismiss it before rotating the phone while in any app that rotates. Alternatively you can lock rotation by installing patch from this thread: xwTweak 0.1.0 - Global Accelerometer Switch

Just remember that the setting does not survive a system reboot. Is has a dropdown in device menu, very easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    3) Being new to WebOS, after installing 72+ patches / apps etc so far... Whilst the little tweaks are nice & I'm not visibly noticing any change in performance, AM i gradually 'clogging' up my Pre 3 & eating into its performance bit by bit? - OR is it all nicely optimised & NO real impact is taking place?
    The impact is only by virtue of the changes introduced by the patches not the patches themselves. The patches simply replace sections of text (javascript) with other sections of text and so usually have little impact on memory used. What that javascript does is another matter and could potentially have a significant effect on performance. But the patching process is reversible so, if you don't like the effect, simply remove the patch.
    Many thanks for your excellent advice & support!!
    My advice? Just enjoy your Pre 3.

Having used a Pre 3 for a fair stretch now, and other Pres for comparison since 2009, power button fatigue's not an issue.

Nor is patch clutter. If a patch causes an issue or conflict, usually you notice with use after install. (Although installing 72 at once might make it confusing if there is a bug!) Devs are usually good about conflict warnings. You might like the Advanced System Menu though.
    1) Does a patch exist to ADD 'power down / reboot' etc to the Top drop down menu? So as to avoid having to keep pressing the power button, & thus minimise wear & tear to the power button?
    Use the 'device info' function. At the bottom there's access to various reset options.
    Okay; it's not drop-down but it's built-in and ready to use.