Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By namgod
  • 1 Post By Choorp
  1.    #1  
    Hi Guys,
    Firstly, Thank you once again for assisting in getting my new pre3 past the dreaded certificate expiry issue.

I've now been having a bit of fun in Preware, pimping up my Pre 3 ... And very swish it is now!

I have some questions however about things that seem like they could/should have been tweaked but aren't obvious..

1) The Preware / Homebrew community in general - now we're entering into 2014, just how 'lively & active' is the homebrew community still these days, especially in catering for the Pre 3? - Is it waning, or still alive?

2) The Ribbon bar - It has only 5 icons (which are swappable), however is there a patch that enables MORE than 5 items?

3) Is there a patch or app that can make apps of your choice - start up automatically when the phone is 1st switched on & thus tile them for you ..?

4) Any Themes for the Pre 3 - And what might they look like? (Not really bothered, just curious)

5) Screen Savers - putting aside the battery waste, unless on charge - Are there any 'exhibition' screen savers - that do nice swirly patterns etc instead of just a clock, facebook, govnah, pics etc....?

6) Virtual Keyboard - Is there surely by now a safe & easy to install (via preware) one that works well on the Pre 3? (ideally in both portrait and landscape) - I've been reading threads about this, seeing things 'in the works' ... but that was all dated 2012.. 2013 had been & gone.. so any good VKB out there?

7) The Browser - It is ageing, but still functional... Has it been, or Is its core available for development? Have there been or are their still developers working on updating the browser & it comparabilities with today's web standards? not just for the touchpad but for pre 3 as well?

Putting the above aside, i have a pre 3 that is pretty much doing what i want of it now.. Pulling in emails from multiple sources, syncing with my outlook calendar, etc etc... Loving it

Look forward to your replies.
    Best
    Al
    Last edited by mr-scorpio; 02/05/2014 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Firstly, once again for assisting in getting my new pre3 past the dreaded certificate expiry issue.

I've now been having a bit of fun in Preware, pimping up my Pre 3 ... And very swish it is now!

I have some questions however about things that seem like they could/should have been tweaked but aren't obvious..

1) The Preware / Homebrew community in general - now we're entering into 2014, just how 'lively & active' is the homebrew community still these days, especially in catering for the Pre 3? - Is it waning, or still alive?
    Still around, but not much is updated...

2) The Ribbon bar - It has only 5 icons (which are swappable), however is there a patch that enables MORE than 5 items?
    There is a patch in a thread:

[Patch] UI Scale

3) Is there a patch or app that can make apps of your choice - start up automatically when the phone is 1st switched on & thus tile them for you ..?
    Yes there is a way to modify the Luna Script to auto start apps like the Phone app, Email...

[patch/app request] Launch on startup

4) Any Themes for the Pre 3 - And what might they look like? (Not really bothered, just curious)
    There is a Theme Manager in Preware...

5) Screen Savers - putting aside the battery waste, unless on charge - Are there any 'exhibition' screen savers - that do nice swirly patterns etc instead of just a clock, facebook, govnah, pics etc....?
    I have not seen any exhibition Screen Savers but there might be some...

6) Virtual Keyboard - Is there surely by now a safe & easy to install (via preware) one that works well on the Pre 3? (ideally in both portrait and landscape) - I've been reading threads about this, seeing things 'in the works' ... but that was all dated 2012.. 2013 had been & gone.. so any good VKB out there?
    There is a patch to enable the existing LunaSysMgr Virtual keyboard

[PATCH] Virtual Keyboard

7) The Browser - It is ageing, but still functional... Has it been, or Is its core available for development? Have there been or are their still developers working on updating the browser & it comparabilities with today's web standards? not just for the touchpad but for pre 3 as well?
    That is part of the webKit which is not updated by HP/Palm, if one would grab the source from Palm Source and update this it would be cool, but a big undertaking...

Would be easier for someone to grab a Open Source (firefox, etc..) and compile a PDK browser...

Putting the above aside, i have a pre 3 that is pretty much doing what i want of it now.. Pulling in emails from multiple sources, syncing with my outlook calendar, etc etc... Loving it

Best
    Al
    It is a good device (mine is a developer device, not connect to a carrier)...
    Hi Guys,
    Firstly, once again for assisting in getting my new pre3 past the dreaded certificate expiry issue.

I'd say it slumped a bit in the last year - it's hard to be motivated when the OS is effectively abandoned. But as you have experienced, work is still going on and many of the die-hards are at work for LG or on the port project. Perhaps LG will encourage fresh interest. http://blog.enyojs.com/post/75721205...t-and-enyo-2-4

Not sure - it may be more to do with icon size than an actual number. EDIT: See post above.

Agua 0.2 for pre3 Palm Pre Theme @ PreThemer
    Glass Effect Suite (Pre3) Palm Pre Theme @ PreThemer
    Or search Preware.

You could try Universe Browser. dkirker is working on something called ISIS - recently restarted to be a QT browser. The Experimental A-Browser is in Preware. Fast, but UI not really usable. Vistaus has added some ISIS UI to the stock browser, which probably doesn't affect performance, but adds features.

Best
    Al
    The Big Patch Thread (TBPT) - Pre 3

Make apps fit the whole screen Pre3
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/05/2014 at 04:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    One of my favorites is the "NewDeviceMenu-beta2.patch". I believe it's abandoned by the developer but it works well on my VZ Pre2 with the super verizon 2.2.4 doctor. I like the single click menu system it has as well as how it shows the current off/on state rather than the following function of the next screen press. If it works on the Pre 3 I would definitely install it for its quick menu access and all around good looks. It's not in Preware but there is a thread for it in the forum.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    Choorp likes this.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    In case you aren't familiar with it yet: Mode Switcher

[App] Mode Switcher 1.x

Best J
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/06/2014 at 01:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namgod View Post
    One of my favorites is the "NewDeviceMenu-beta2.patch". I believe it's abandoned by the developer but it works well on my VZ Pre2 with the super verizon 2.2.4 doctor. I like the single click menu system it has as well as how it shows the current off/on state rather than the following function of the next screen press. If it works on the Pre 3 I would definitely install it for its quick menu access and all around good looks. It's not in Preware but there is a thread for it in the forum.
    There's actually a newer patch than Beta 2. I forget what I added, but I'm sure it's worth the upgrade! lol

Edit:

Found the changelog! Here's what's new in Beta 3:

Beta3
    - Added Data Network switcher
    - Added gesture controls to swipe between tabs
    - Moved the device menu to center of screen
    - A bit of restyling here and there
    - Major code cleanup
    Last edited by Choorp; 02/08/2014 at 09:04 PM.
    Preemptive likes this.