Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By NCCaniac
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By NCCaniac
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Got this error msg when trying to post a birthday greet to a friend.

I dont use FB much so maybe its been like this for a long time?

Tried to post using the app on the Touchpad instead, didnt get a error msg but the post never turned up on the wall so that seems faulty too?

Are both Facebook apps now bricked?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    They still function for much, but Facebook has made changes to their API and now the apps can't write on someone's wall - probably because they've replaced the wall concept with timeline.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Wow, so the Facebook app is slowly breaking down? Man...I wonder how long until webOS is so outdated it becomes nothing more than a "dumb phone".
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    Wow, so the Facebook app is slowly breaking down? Man...I wonder how long until webOS is so outdated it becomes nothing more than a "dumb phone".
    Yeah, there are some things the Facebook app can't do anymore due to the changes in the Facebook API, but the other option you have is to go to Facebook using the browser. At least on my FrakenPre 2 (and I would assume your Pre 3 also) it will recognize it is a mobile device and give you the mobile web version of Facebook which is not too bad.
    ananimus likes this.
    I have New 'old stock' Pre 3, after installing the Facebook app, i'm finding that it DOES still post onto my wall, despite the 'timeline' view that new exists. - Seems ok to me.
    When Grabber5.0 has some spare time he can patch this one as well :P
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    ananimus and cbosdell like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    When Grabber5.0 has some spare time he can patch this one as well :P
    LOL! Please don't feed my idea machine!
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/11/2014 at 07:00 PM.
    cbosdell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    I have New 'old stock' Pre 3, after installing the Facebook app, i'm finding that it DOES still post onto my wall, despite the 'timeline' view that new exists. - Seems ok to me.
    Yeah you can post, just can't write on someone else's timeline. I've never looked at their API, so I don't know how much it has changed. No idea how they grant permissions.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/11/2014 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
    Yeah, there are some things the Facebook app can't do anymore due to the changes in the Facebook API, but the other option you have is to go to Facebook using the browser. At least on my FrakenPre 2 (and I would assume your Pre 3 also) it will recognize it is a mobile device and give you the mobile web version of Facebook which is not too bad.
    I agree, the mobile FB site is pretty solid. It just stinks that you can't upload pictures. Seems the Browser doesn't have the APIs for fetching files and directing them on up.

Otherwise the mobile site gets it done. Except for uploading pics with a comment, I never use the app anymore. A pity too. "Back in the day," the webOS app beat the **** out of all the other platforms. (Heck, it still does in terms of UI. Just doesn't in terms of what still works!)
    Yeah, it was definitely the best when it came out. I still like it, just wish it wasn't broken. I browsed some of the source once, and was surprised how complicated the image browsing code was. (I was trying to see if it would be easy to fix the slow loading of large albums).
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Except for uploading pics with a comment,
    I can't get that to work either!
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Was still working for me this weekend.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/11/2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Was still working for me this weekend.
    Yes, this must have been some temporary issue. For grins, this last weekend I tried uploading a photo from the Photo Roll using the Facebook app on my FrankenPre 2 on running WebOS 2.2.4. I was able to select photo, add a comment and upload it to my Mobile Uploads photo album and it appeared on my timeline.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.