Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi There,
    I'm new here, so please be kind :-D

    I’m very much hoping you can resolve this.
    I’ve just purchased (because I liked the os from the early Pre days, & saw a great price) as BRAND NEW (old stock), sealed in box Pre 3

    It is a UK model, & had WebOS 2.2.0 on it out of the box.

    I managed to successfully create my ‘webOS account’, and the phone took me thought the rest of the setup.
    After that, noticing that it was version 2.2.0 installed, I was then able to successfully perform a system update to 2.2.4 3175
    I was then able to successfully add some online accounts (Gmail, facebook) & the data pulled down & merged nicely.

    However, after this is where the problem starts. Upon reading that there is a critical ‘certificate’ issue that had it’s deadline on 23rd July 2013, I followed the instructions on the following link to fix the problem:

    https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate

    However, even though the date is now manually set back to 1/7/2013, after searching & finding the ‘app certificate update’ to download on the app store, it is FAILING to download, so not even getting as far as an install.

    Can you please guide me though how I can resolve this (I’m sure this problem is not unique), so that I can resume fully enjoying the Pre 3.
    I want to avoid going down the ‘homebrew’ route & risking bricking the phone if possible.

    I can see that there are other threads already dealing with this problem, but when reading through them, all i'm seeing are descriptions that talk in jargon, assuming you already know what you're doing...
    This is of course quite urgent.
    Many thanks
    Al
    Last edited by mr-scorpio; 02/03/2014 at 12:28 PM.
  2. #2  
    Think you were doing fine. Only immediate thought might be: Did you restart the device after turning OFF network time and rolling back the day? Maybe try this then attempt download again?

    It may also just be that the App Catalog server is having a temporary issue on the other end.
  3. #3  
    I don't think it would make a difference how early the date was set, but I always set it to any late July date before the 23rd. I want to try to recreate this because I've never had any issues with the process. If you just can't get past it, and are willing to do a bit more work, there is a way to save the download so you can do more date manipulation and work around it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I don't think it would make a difference how early the date was set, but I always set it to any late July date before the 23rd. I want to try to recreate this because I've never had any issues with the process. If you just can't get past it, and are willing to do a bit more work, there is a way to save the download so you can do more date manipulation and work around it.
    Hi there,
    Many thanks for the replies so far...
    Yes, all the dates are set back to before the deadline date & ALL automatic time/ date syncing is off.
    Yet still no joy...
    I HAVE been able to get the phone to talk to the 'webOS quick install' program, after installing the USB drivers for it.. Can something be done with this?
    Last edited by mr-scorpio; 02/03/2014 at 03:10 PM.
  5. #5  
    fyi: i have experience that too early a date will also fail. i HAD to use a July date for the cert update to install.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    fyi: i have experience that too early a date will also fail. i HAD to use a July date for the cert update to install.
    Hmm i've tried the date set to 22 july 2013 as well..
    Still no Joy... :-(
    Out of interest...
    The version of app catalog on the phone is v2.0.23300
    The version of app catalog that is wanting to automatically install is: 2.1.xxx (can't see whole number).

    As for the 'app catalog script ' --- Which is continually failing,, i do not know its version..

    Is there ANY way to FORCE this root certificate script directly onto the phone via using a PC program & USB cable? - Thus bypassing having to use the online failing app store.
    Thus once installed Downloading from the app store starts to work again, including download and updating the app store itself etc...

    This is getting most frustrating!!
    :-(
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    Hmm i've tried the date set to 22 july 2013 as well..
    Still no Joy... :-(
    Out of interest...
    The version of app catalog on the phone is v2.0.23300
    The version of app catalog that is wanting to automatically install is: 2.1.xxx (can't see whole number).

    As for the 'app catalog script ' --- Which is continually failing,, i do not know its version..

    Is there ANY way to FORCE this root certificate script directly onto the phone via using a PC program & USB cable? - Thus bypassing having to use the online failing app store.
    Thus once installed Downloading from the app store starts to work again, including download and updating the app store itself etc...

    This is getting most frustrating!!
    :-(
    If there were an IPK floating free for the patch you could. Never seen one though and dunno where that fals in distribution legality.
  8. #8  
    The app you want is called 'App Catalog Update' not just 'App Catalog'. I don't think it is possible to install the update to the app catalog itself after 7/23 until you install the 'Update' app - which is just a vehicle to update the certs.

    Re-reading the thread, I think you just mis-typed that and what I wrote may not help. I'm going to Dr a phone and see if I can recreate this issue.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/03/2014 at 03:58 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    If there were an IPK floating free for the patch you could. Never seen one though and dunno where that fals in distribution legality.
    Hi,
    So what's the solution? I'm sure I'm not unique in this situation? As from other similar threads, there are people posting in late 2013 & earlier 2014...
    What's the solution ..? Help! :-D
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I think you just mis-typed that and what I wrote may not help.

    Quote Originally Posted by mr-scorpio View Post
    However, even though the date is now manually set back to 1/7/2013, after searching & finding the ‘app certificate update’ to download on the app store, it is FAILING to download, so not even getting as far as an install.
    Actually, if I'm reading this right, the OP both loaded the App Catalog successfully and found the App Catalog Update already. It just doesn't download.
  11.    #11  
    Hi,
    "App catalog update" IS what i have been trying to download, AFTER switching off the automatic date setting features & resetting the date BACK to just before the 23rd of July... It is just failing.
    So what might be the answer? :-)

    I've also emailed: 'palm.emea.customer.service@palm.com'

    Seeing as my Pre 3 IS a brand new (old stock), just opened from a sealed package, phone, that is therefore under HP warranty... I'm going to be pressing them to take responsibility to fix this also! :-D
    bonnisolli likes this.
  12. #12  
    Just to verify, you rebooted after changing the date(s)?
  13. #13  
    There should be no need to reboot after changing the date - at least there never was in the past. I was able to recreate this on a Pre2 that I recently doctored and had never signed in to a Palm Profile. I don't think that's going to help. It looks like Palm's method is no longer working for some reason. Still trying some stuff.. I know we can get past this. Makes me wonder if something on the server is now preventing any downloads when the date is off by so far - it's over 6 months now.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/03/2014 at 05:05 PM.
  14. #14  
    Yeah, restart's a shot in the dark.

    And possibly. My first thought was maybe just a temporary glitch on the Catalog server. I know right now that every other time I open the App Cat I get an error.
  15. #15  
    Instructions forthcoming - but note it has been posted before. I think it's time for a front-page article
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Instructions forthcoming - but note it has been posted before. I think it's time for a front-page article
    Hi Mat..
    Very much looking forward to a proven working 'solution' :-D
    Probably IS worth pinning it as a sticky, as there seems to be a batch of 'brand new' unopened Pre3's surfacing, that people, like myself are going to eagerly get, then get stuck as i am..
    Many many thanks!
    Al
    katkiller likes this.
  17. #17  
    What I did:

    First the steps to recreate the problem:
    Signed into profile.
    Confirmed I can't download apps, including the App Catalog Update app.
    Set date to 7/22/13
    Confirmed date was 7/22/13 in device menu
    Got prompted about the update to the App Catalog - Download failed
    Tapped update failure, which opened Software Manager. Tapped the error and then "'Don't download"
    Opened App Catalog
    Searched for "App Catalog"
    Tapped "App Catalog Update" app from HP.
    Tapped "Download for free" - Download failed.

    Now, the steps you need to take to resolve the problem:
    Note the nodelete patch only works on webos 2.x and higher.
    If you haven't already got WOSQI, get it now, and use it to install Internalz Pro and Preware onto your phone. (Read about WOSQI here: http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-5-0-a.html)
    Installed nodeleteipk.patch using WOSQI (download from first post in this thread: [How To] Retain App IPKs from App Catalog )
    Turned network time on to change clock to current date (airplane mode toggle to speed up)
    Opened App Catalog
    Searched for "App Catalog"
    Tapped "App Catalog Update" app from HP.
    Tapped "Download for free" - Download took forever to start, but eventually got 'install failed'
    Confirmed IPK was in /media/internal/downloads using Internalz
    Set date to 7/3/2013
    Tapped com.palm.appcatalogupdate...ipk in Internalz which opened Preware (can also install with WOSQI and I think Internalz can do it too)
    Installed package
    Turned network time on again to set current daet.
    Got notified about update to App Catalog again..
    Tapped install updates
    update dowloaded and... installed successfully
    Installed TuneIn by RadioTime, to confirm everything is working
    Enjoyed a Coke*.

    *Planned.. I need to walk downstairs to get a Coke from the fridge, but someone from work keeps bothering me. :\

    Note, never once did I restart my phone. I typed each step as I did it, because I knew I would not be able to remember them all.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/08/2014 at 08:26 PM.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    What I did:

    First the steps to recreate the problem:
    Signed into profile.
    Confirmed I can't download apps, including the App Catalog Update app.
    Set date to 7/22/13
    Confirmed date was 7/22/13 in device menu
    Got prompted about the update to the App Catalog - Download failed
    Tapped update failure, which opened Software Manager. Tapped the error and then "'Don't download"
    Opened App Catalog
    Searched for "App Catalog"
    Tapped "App Catalog Update" app from HP.
    Tapped "Download for free" - Download failed.

    Now, the steps you need to take to resolve the problem:
    If you haven't already got WOSQI, get it now, and install Internalz Pro and Preware.
    Installed nodeleteipk.patch using WOSQI (download from first post in this thread: [How To] Retain App IPKs from App Catalog )
    Turned network time on to change clock to current date (airplane mode toggle to speed up)
    Opened App Catalog
    Searched for "App Catalog"
    Tapped "App Catalog Update" app from HP.
    Tapped "Download for free" - Download took forever to start, but eventually got 'install failed'
    Confirmed IPK was in /media/internal/downloads using Internalz
    Set date to 7/3/2013
    Tapped com.palm.appcatalogupdate...ipk in Internalz which opened Preware (can also install with WOSQI and I think Internalz can do it too)
    Installed package
    Turned network time on again to set current daet.
    Got notified about update to App Catalog again..
    Tapped install updates
    update dowloaded and... installed successfully
    Installed TuneIn by RadioTime, to confirm everything is working
    Enjoyed a Coke*.

    *Planned.. I need to walk downstairs to get a Coke from the fridge, but someone from work keeps bothering me. :\

    Note, never once did I restart my phone. I typed each step as I did it, because I knew I would not be able to remember them all.
    Excellent Mat,
    But you'll have to treat me like a noob I'm afraid. :-/
    is WOSQI a desktop app? -- if it's to be dowload straight to the phone, how is this done without using the app store? One WOSQI 'is' installed, are the other apps ALSO directly installed on the phone (Internalz Pro & Preware?
    And then the 'patch'.... do i have to somehow' browse on the phone to the URL you reference to access it? or is it also done via a PC & USB?

    Sorry for sounding like a ****, but i'm not that tech-savy...
    Might need a bit of hand holding on this one...
    Cheers
    Al
  19.    #19  
    OK, After much nail biting .. & seeing more things needing to install,...
    BINGO! it is working... App Store 2.1.1.0.0.0 installed & ALL working
    I couldn't get WOSQI to 'see' my pre 3 until i set it into 'dev mode'....
    Many thanks Mat for your help
    Al
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  20. #20  
    Glad I could help! Sorry if some was a bit over your head or short on detail. I was a bit short on time, so I tried to give just enough guidance in the apps needed to do the work. That you were able to accomplish it with a little guidance is a testament to your ability.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to fix App Catalog/App errors related to Certificate expiration
    By Alan Morford in forum webOS Tips, Info & Resources
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12/30/2014, 09:27 AM
  2. App Catalog keeps failing, 2.1. Please Help!!
    By Torg20 in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10/03/2011, 04:13 PM
  3. Help with bell Palm pre app catalog urgent please
    By pre456 in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01/10/2010, 12:47 PM
  4. Possible reason for failing to install from App Catalog
    By sagipe in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01/03/2010, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions