Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes
    I got my new phone today, and surprisingly didn't have any problems with the catalog update. I just changed the date and restarted my phone. Prior to that I couldn't get the app catalog to open at all, but I installed the update ok, changed the date back and I'm downloading my apps now. I have a few more questions. Forgive me for asking here, but all the other activation threads are so old, I'm not sure what info is still relevant.

1)Has anyone compiled a list of apps that are no longer in the app catalog ? complied compile

2)When checking the other threads, they mention a 2.2.3 doctor, but I can't find a working link for it. Do I need to update to 2.2.3 and is there a working link anywhere?

3) When I tap on the screen, there is slight movement that I didn't have with my pre or veer, it sort of rocks. Is this normal for the pre 3?
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 03/31/2014 at 06:46 PM.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I got my new phone today, and surprisingly didn't have any problems with the catalog update. I just changed the date and restarted my phone. Prior to that I couldn't get the app catalog to open at all, but I installed the update ok, changed the date back and I'm downloading my apps now. I have a few more questions. Forgive me for asking here, but all the other activation threads are so old, I'm not sure what info is still relevant.

1)Has anyone compiled a list of apps that are no longer in the app catalog ? complied compile

2)When checking the other threads, they mention a 2.2.3 doctor, but I can't find a working link for it. Do I need to update to 2.2.3 and is there a working link anywhere?

3) When I tap on the screen, there is slight movement that I didn't have with my pre or veer, it sort of rocks. Is this normal for the pre 3?
    1: I have seen a few 'dead app' threads, but I doubt there is a singular list.
    2: The 2.2.3 doctor was required to activate on Verizon I believe, but it was superseded by the 2.2.4 doctor. All versions are listed here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    3: mine developed a wobble after I dropped it one time, so the slider has some wobble when it's open in particular, the bottom of the screen moves when I tap it. Sucks but could be worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    1: I have seen a few 'dead app' threads, but I doubt there is a singular list.
    2: The 2.2.3 doctor was required to activate on Verizon I believe, but it was superseded by the 2.2.4 doctor. All versions are listed here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    3: mine developed a wobble after I dropped it one time, so the slider has some wobble when it's open in particular, the bottom of the screen moves when I tap it. Sucks but could be worse.
    Thanx for the fast reply. Mine is doing a wobble. If this is common I won't try to exchange it. I actually just got prompted to update to 2.2.4.2211 so I guess I will be ok there. One last question and I think I will be all set: Do you recall the db file I need to delete from my veer so it doesn't erase itself when I connect it to wiif?
    Thanx for the fast reply. Mine is doing a wobble. If this is common I won't try to exchange it. I actually just got prompted to update to 2.2.4.2211 so I guess I will be ok there. One last question and I think I will be all set: Do you recall the db file I need to delete from my veer so it doesn't erase itself when I connect it to wiif?
    I can never recall specifically but I have committed to memory the name of the page on the webosinternals wiki. The procedure is different for the Veer than it was for 1.x devices, so read section 2. StopDeviceWipe - WebOS Internals

1) this would be close to answer your question: Official HP Pre3 Apps List. The thing about each device is that it's not about if the App is no longer available, just that it's available or not for the device, if it's not compatible (or assumed to not be), it will not show. There are a few that might be there, or that you can transfer from another device, but requires the screen resolution fix: Make apps fit the whole screen Pre3.

2) should be an update that should be automatic, if not, go find the "System Updates" App and make it happen.

3) I find my Pre3 to be very sensitive to my hand that's holding the phone, so I have to ensure that my skin doesn't touch the front of the phone. But as for of something that "rocks" I don't really know what that would be like. I don't have any issues, compared to my Pre2, it's much more responsive.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    @Imfallen and Grabber, thanx!

I found the app list yesterday the only apps I really want that I'm having problems with is the What's for dinner app and digibar. It says the light WTD version is supposed to work, but neither do. I can download them but they won't install. Digibar is not available to dl. I had to pay again to upgrade when I went from my pre to my veer. I'm going to try to see if I can install the apk for it from my veer. I haven't noticed a problem with resolution for any of them, but as long as it's not grainy, I'm not too picky.

I"m also having a problems with contacts,calendar and email and the touchstone charging. I've tried everything I can think of. I've done the captcha thing, set up app specific passwords, nothing works. I was able to put email back in manually just as email and not google accounts, but it's no go for the contacts and calendar. I even tried importing my contacts into yahoo and the at&t address book and using those as contact accounts, the accounts still won't sync. I don't mind using palm contacts and calendar, but the reason I started using google to begin with is that palm lost the info a time or two and I don't relish typing in all these contacts again. There are dedicated threads for all this tho, so I'm going to head over there after work tonight.

I actually find the phone less responsive than my veer and pre were. Turning off the tap ripple and other patches helped, but if I don't tap the screen precisely on the light bar, the windows don't minimize, or even swipe back. The wobble isn't huge, it's only when the phone is open, maybe a millimeter or less, but it is noticeable as my other phones didn't do this.

Thanx everyone for your help. I'm going to go to the dedicated threads for the other issues I'm having as not to take this one further off topic.
    @Imfallen and Grabber, thanx!

I found the app list yesterday the only apps I really want that I'm having problems with is the What's for dinner app and digibar. It says the light WTD version is supposed to work, but neither do. I can download them but they won't install. Digibar is not available to dl. I had to pay again to upgrade when I went from my pre to my veer. I'm going to try to see if I can install the apk for it from my veer. I haven't noticed a problem with resolution for any of them, but as long as it's not grainy, I'm not too picky.

I"m also having a problems with contacts,calendar and email and the touchstone charging. I've tried everything I can think of. I've done the captcha thing, set up app specific passwords, nothing works. I was able to put email back in manually just as email and not google accounts, but it's no go for the contacts and calendar. I even tried importing my contacts into yahoo and the at&t address book and using those as contact accounts, the accounts still won't sync. I don't mind using palm contacts and calendar, but the reason I started using google to begin with is that palm lost the info a time or two and I don't relish typing in all these contacts again. There are dedicated threads for all this tho, so I'm going to head over there after work tonight.

I actually find the phone less responsive than my veer and pre were. Turning off the tap ripple and other patches helped, but if I don't tap the screen precisely on the light bar, the windows don't minimize, or even swipe back. The wobble isn't huge, it's only when the phone is open, maybe a millimeter or less, but it is noticeable as my other phones didn't do this.

Thanx everyone for your help. I'm going to go to the dedicated threads for the other issues I'm having as not to take this one further off topic.
    1) the resolution thing means that if you don't use the patch or do the code fix, the App will either not work at all, or will open but be a mess once you get into it. If you can't download it, just grab it from your Veer and copy it directly.

Location of the Apps:
    \\PRE3\Root\media\cryptofs\apps\usr\palm\applications

2) I've been using Google calendar, no problem.

I'm synched for emails on both Gmail and Yahoo, and again, still no problem for me.
    I've not switched my contacts to anything else than the Palm contact, as my contacts were imported from my Lifedrive.

For the Touchstone, well, it was designed for the Pre2 so the angle and curvature is a bit off. The TouchstoneV2 that was to be released for the Pre3, well, only a few have been seen in the wild and do come at a very high price as they are collectibles.

3) light bar? I gather you mean the "home" sensor? if yes, I do find it's a bit tempemental compared to my Pre2, when I find works best is to slide my finger from edge of phone to the bar in a short upward motion. The sensor is probably lower than you're tapping.

The "wobble.. I guess you meant the tiny bit of play between screen and keyboard section, and yup, this is common as far as I know, due to the Pre3's shape and size, but strangely enough, when I first got my phone I would find this to stand out. Lately it wasn't something that I noticed as much and since you mentioned it, I just checked and it's gone...the phone's two section doesn't have this "play" anymore, it's nice and tight now.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Just an update: all my issues are FIXED!!! :happy dance:

I doctored the phone with the 2.2.3 on the webos internals page and I was able to install all the apps that were not installing before, including the full What's for Dinner app. It actually down loaded from the app catalog. I didn't have to do anything special to get the app catalog fix. Changing the date and rebooting the phone let me access the app catalog after about 5-10 minutes and download apps. I was able to get my digibar from my old veer and even the old James Harris free music ringtones app works. There are some apps like fandango that wont load after opening, but I think that may be because it is not supported. I've done the update again to 2.2.4, hopefully I won't have any further issues with apps installing tho.

The charging issue fixed itself. I put it on the touch stone and walked away, came back it was charging,and now it charges instantly each time. I stressed because that is one of the main reasons I stayed with webos, I'm glad I stressed over nothing.

I have michote dark glass them so my pre is super sexy.

And, finally and most importantly, St. Grabber5.0 ( and yes he should be sainted for the work he did) fixed my issue with the email and contact accounts from google not authorizing and syncing with a shiny new patch.
    At the very least he belongs in the webOS Hall of Fame. Thank you SOOOOO much!!!!!
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    What I did:

First the steps to recreate the problem:
    Signed into profile.
    Confirmed I can't download apps, including the App Catalog Update app.
    Set date to 7/22/13
    Confirmed date was 7/22/13 in device menu
    Got prompted about the update to the App Catalog - Download failed
    Tapped update failure, which opened Software Manager. Tapped the error and then "'Don't download"
    Opened App Catalog
    Searched for "App Catalog"
    Tapped "App Catalog Update" app from HP.
    Tapped "Download for free" - Download failed.

Now, the steps you need to take to resolve the problem:
    Note the nodelete patch only works on webos 2.x and higher.
    If you haven't already got WOSQI, get it now, and use it to install Internalz Pro and Preware onto your phone. (Read about WOSQI here: http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-5-0-a.html)
    Installed nodeleteipk.patch using WOSQI (download from first post in this thread: [How To] Retain App IPKs from App Catalog )
    Turned network time on to change clock to current date (airplane mode toggle to speed up)
    Opened App Catalog
    Searched for "App Catalog"
    Tapped "App Catalog Update" app from HP.
    Tapped "Download for free" - Download took forever to start, but eventually got 'install failed'
    Confirmed IPK was in /media/internal/downloads using Internalz
    Set date to 7/3/2013
    Tapped com.palm.appcatalogupdate...ipk in Internalz which opened Preware (can also install with WOSQI and I think Internalz can do it too)
    Installed package
    Turned network time on again to set current daet.
    Got notified about update to App Catalog again..
    Tapped install updates
    update dowloaded and... installed successfully
    Installed TuneIn by RadioTime, to confirm everything is working
    Enjoyed a Coke*.

*Planned.. I need to walk downstairs to get a Coke from the fridge, but someone from work keeps bothering me. :\

Note, never once did I restart my phone. I typed each step as I did it, because I knew I would not be able to remember them all.
    Thank you Grabber5.0, and for questions and clarifications from Mr. Scorpio.

I spent about a month trying to update a new in box Pre 3 from Amazon seller Tailwinds. Came with webos 2.2.2. Originally I had no access to the App Catalog – tapping the icon would open a card, but it would error out within 30 seconds.
    I believe I have now succeeded, thanks to your help. I am now on 2.2.3 with full access to the App Catalog. I can tell you that as of June 22, 2014 I seem to have a fully functional Pre 3 with 2.2.3 and the App Catalog Update working fine.

I agree with many previous posters here and all over that a comprehensive list of steps would be very helpful, but I recognize how difficult that would be, and that things change over time. I found Grabber5.0’s tutorial by far the most helpful, but it took me several attempts to get it to work in my situation.
    In order to help others, I will list some of my steps quickly, and will be happy to upgrade this post with other information and help from any.
    I have a strong feeling that things have changed from the many (different but similar) instructions posted in 2013, and this thread is the most up to date. It certainly enabled me to hone down the possibilities to find a limited number of permutations that I could attempt, and finally achieve.
    Here are some variables that were problematic for me in the many and varied instructions pre-Feb 2014 (i.e., this thread).
    1) When to reboot. Grabber says this should not matter, and I ultimately found this to be my case as well. But before I found this thread I did try 2) and 3) below a lot.
    2) How to reboot –mode (choices being toggle airplane mode (good for changing date back to current only), power down, or pull battery.
    3) How to reboot – physical – choices being to pull battery or not.
    4) Sim in or out? A number of posts out there suggest pulling the sim card then entering Dev Mode. In the end, I believe that I was most successful by using WOSQI with the sim out.
    5) Wifi on or off? Connect or not? I tried most of the possible combinations. Ultimately my phone updated over the 3G connection after following Grabber’s suggestions.
    Things that did not work - FAILURES:
    1) Any and all instructions before Feb 2014, including involving setting date back. I tried every combination of dates that I saw suggested, including July 1, 3, 19, 21, and 22. No Powerball luck with those.
    2) I tried various combinations of rebooting after the below (failed) steps.
    3) Opening App Catalog from the main screen and attempting an update at ANY time set, whether 2013 or current, with network time off or on.
    4) Opening System Update from the Preferences page and attempting to update, same as 3) above.
    5) After installing WOSQI, then using it to install the 3.0 ipk, it creates an App Catalog Update icon on the home screen. But clicking that either failed quickly, or left a spinning “Update” icon for a day. After attempting this, the App Catalog Update icon would disappear from the main screen – seeing Grabber’s explanation of the nodelete ipk helped me understand I would need to do something different.
    6) At one point I was able to use WOSQI to install Internalz Pro, but didn’t know to go further and install Preware until I read Grabber’s post. Internalz Pro by itself didn’t do it for me. You do need to install all the additional software that Internalz Pro and Preware need.
    7) I was at one point concerned if WOSQI was working right. I was using Win7 x64, with no Java installed (as verified by command prompt check). WOSQI seemed to be working. But I installed Java x64 and x32 to be safe. No difference. So I tried using XP Pro x32 SP3, with Java x32 installed, on the theory that that OS was still state of the art at the time a lot of these programs were first introduced. I decided to use the XP Pro PC to eliminate one more variable. Ultimately the PC with XP Pro x32 with Java x32 was successful. But perhaps the Win7x64 machine would work as well. During these efforts I was trying to use WOSQI to install the App Catalog Update 3 ipk, but continued to fail.
    8) I wondered if perhaps I should try the App Catalog Update 2 ipk. That didn’t work either, based on the methods I was using at the time (before I found Grabber’s post), but it might work if you used Grabber’s instructions.
    9) Along the way I tried various resets, including full wipes of either/and/or the system partition and the USB drive. None of that ultimately made a difference.
    10) What I did not ever do was use doctor, or create a new webos account. Ultimately I didn’t need to. I used the webos account I originally created when I initiated the new Pre3 a month ago.

What I did do that worked.
    After finding this thread and Grabber’s instructions, I started over. The key to me was installing both Internalz Pro and Preware, PLUS the nodeleteipk.patch using WOSQI. Once I had done that, I was able to install the App Catalog Update 3.0 ipk with WOSQI, and NOT LOSE IT as had happened in FAILURES 5) above.
    Here things get a bit unclear. I had ruled out using System Update on the Preferences page for anything. I also was tired/frustrated by the pop ups from the lower right corner telling me App Catalog Updates are available. I tapped the App Catalog Update icon on the main screen (yet again) and put the phone down, and was not paying attention to it. When I picked it up, it said the update was successful. I checked, and I could open the App Catalog (just like on my working Pre2) and all looked good. I then backed up to my webos account.
    However, a popup appeared offering to update to webos 2.2.3. Since this was one of my objectives, I thought I was home free and clicked on it. It said it would take 45 minutes (I was still on 3G, not on wifi) and it went to work. The icon updated slowly, then the phone rebooted by itself. An hour later, I had webos 2.2.3 on the phone. I then clicked on the App Catalog icon, and it opened, but went black, then reverted to the main screen, where the App Catalog icon was dimmed with a yellow exclamation point next to it. Fortunately I had thought to back up once the App Catalog worked on 2.2.2. This caused a profound sinking feeling. So I decided to reboot. When I did, the phone came back and the App Catalog was working.
    As of this writing, all is good.

Endless thanks to Grabber5.0!!!!!
    mr-scorpio likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAMISHO View Post
    Hi friend. You install this app with preware or wosqui

https://app.box.com/s/x7vc7uuwezpj5r69iep5

and then this

https://app.box.com/s/2fi0zq8vg6136p0c0czk

These apps be app catalog and update app catalog.
    I wait than fix you
    Thank you thank you thank you.

Problem solved. Took me 30 seconds once I found the correct update file for the catalog cert.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123