Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Yes, I'm still on Sprint with my Pre- Call me daft or loyal ;-) Now that T-Mobile is offering global text and data I am looking at a PRE 3 on T mobile but wanted to see what people have experienced so far first.

I travel a lot so the global option would be great. If any body out there is on T Mobile please advise.

Thanks
    What do you want to know? Where are you located? I have a T-Mobile SIM in mine, but I only use it occasionally. The 3G data is reasonably fast, but I haven't been able to pick up any HSPA+. My primary line is still on Sprint, the Pre3 is mostly used on WiFi.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Hi, thanks for the reply, My plan is to dump Sprint and use the TMobile Pre 3, ATT version. I travel a lot and would like to use one phone instead of two. Just curious if there have been any issues with the ATT pre 3 on Tmobile.
    My 3G speeds at my house lately have been very disappointing. I don't use the phone when I'm out very often. Today I am barely managing 100kbps on it regardless of how many bars I have. When I first got the SIM I was generally getting at least 1mbps.
    Maybe an Unlocked version from overseas will have better speeds.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Maybe an Unlocked version from overseas will have better speeds.
    On T-Mo? Which one? I think probably not. TMo USA uses/used weird 3G bands (1700 MHz?).
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    On T-Mo? Which one? I think probably not. TMo USA uses/used weird 3G bands (1700 MHz?).
    Yeah your right, I just looked into it, and you would only have spotty HSPA+ and 2G
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Yeah.. I don't know how much of their 3G they have moved over to their 1.9 MHz with their re-farming effort. They are supposed to have H+ on ATT-device-compatible bands, but I have not been able to pick it up on my Pre3, only 3G (UMTS) data. Anywhere driving down the interstate between KC and anywhere, all I have ever gotten is Edge and GPRS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yeah.. I don't know how much of their 3G they have moved over to their 1.9 MHz with their re-farming effort. They are supposed to have H+ on ATT-device-compatible bands, but I have not been able to pick it up on my Pre3, only 3G (UMTS) data. Anywhere driving down the interstate between KC and anywhere, all I have ever gotten is Edge and GPRS.
    I walked into a T-Mobile store in San Jose today and popped in one of their SIMs and got 4.5Mbps on the download and 3.5Mbps on the upload on Speedtest.net.

Not bad. They've done some refarming in the bay area. That's comparable with what I'm getting with StraightTalk's AT&T SIM.
    ananimus likes this.
    We have had this discussion on another thread, but although it only says 3g on the pre3 while using tmo, my speeds are routinely h+ speeds. I'm usually 5mb/s and higher which is not possible any other way on a pre3.
    This is in the Chicagland area where they have refarmed to 1900 here...
    Creepingmee what plan are you on? I'm getting really crappy 3G speeds on TMO lately. Haven't checked recently but the system log reports it as UMTS. They have re-farmed 1900 here in KC and I used to get better speeds.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by deibski View Post
    I walked into a T-Mobile store in San Jose today and popped in one of their SIMs and got 4.5Mbps on the download and 3.5Mbps on the upload on Speedtest.net.

Not bad. They've done some refarming in the bay area. That's comparable with what I'm getting with StraightTalk's AT&T SIM.
    I need to try that here.

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/21/2014 at 10:39 PM.
    I'm in New York City on an AT&T Pre 3 using T-Mobile. I just stopped using it a couple of weeks ago when I finally got sick of the double keypress and the browser failing to load half the pages out there. Android is very, very painful after using webOS for 4 years so T-Mobile is one way to stick with it!

The 3G speeds are really great. I've seen 12 Mbps download outside my house. T-mobile's coverage is not so great outside of metropolitan areas and the roaming data is tiny - 50 MB per month. But their pricing is fantastic and everything works Ok with the Pre 3 (with the exception of MMS - receiving vCards never worked for me).

I'd say check T-Mobiles 3G coverage map in your area and if it looks good, then go for it. A rep told me this summer that their refarming should be done by the end of 2014 (meaning that if you're using an AT&T phone, then you'll get 3G data on it in all of the markets that currently have it).

Good luck!
    If you plan to travel outside US, you need to compare the bands available on the ATT Pre3, vs. the EU Pre3. There is some variation. 850 vs. 900 maybe? But that will make a difference so don't pick the wrong one depending where you plan to go.

In the US, an ATT Pre3 will receive T-Mo H+ in limited areas, and works worse when driving across town vs. stationary. There's H+ 21 and H+ 42 depending on where their work has been done, which is why some areas are 5Mb vs 10+Mb. Both may show only the 3G symbol but I've seen the H+ symbol kick on too.

When you are not in H+ zone, you will fall down to 2G on T-Mo, which is like hitting a brick wall. The problem then is, the receivers start fighting to find signal, crank up H+ TX power, and vacuum your battery dry. My experiments in Atlanta metro were very disappointing and led to abandoning my plan to move to Pre3. (i'm still on Sprint with Pre2)

I'd highly recommend a Pre3 for global phone use, but not on T-Mo unless your area is really saturated with T-Mo refarm towers. (which you may only know by testing, good luck with that). I recommend using an ATT mvno instead.
    ananimus likes this.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input. I'm still on Sprint with Pre- and will try a Tmobile sim (Pre 3 ATT) in the next couple of weeks and see how it works before I make the switch.
    I've been on Sprint for many years, then switched to T-Mobile for a year, then went back to Sprint when my AT&T Pre Plus broke. Now I'm back on T-Mobile again with a Pre3, and so far have no complaints. In the brief time I've been back with them, most of what's already been said regarding reception generalities seem to match my own experiences so far.

I get anywhere from 2-3 bars on average (1 indoors), 4 or 5 downtown. The coverage isn't spectacular, but the signal is enough to send texts and make calls, which is all I personally wanted the service for. I opted to not have a data plan, as I'm around WiFi often enough that I didn't think paying even a little bit more for it was really warranted in my case. So, unfortunately I can't vouch for any data performance findings, and I'm pretty ignorant of the speeds you should be able to expect, having never had a data plan (nor a phone that could make use of one until fiarly recently)... that being said, when I actually disable WiFi, about 50% of the time I've seen the connectivity area claim to be in range of H+, and the other 50% of the time it reports 2G. Occasionally a 3G or two will pop up in random places as well, but not often. Overall, I've been very pleased with the quality of what services I am getting, and the customer support has been particularly great (not implying that Sprint's was bad).

I'm curious to hear about your own experimental run. Id be particularly interested in seeing some additional speedtest.net results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Creepingmee what plan are you on? I'm getting really crappy 3G speeds on TMO lately. Haven't checked recently but the system log reports it as UMTS. They have re-farmed 1900 here in KC and I used to get better speeds.

cheapo $30/mo plan
    i use different apn for network. i use fast.t-mobile.com these days.
    the old wap.whatever it used really slowed down.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    cheapo $30/mo plan
    i use different apn for network. i use fast.t-mobile.com these days.
    the old wap.whatever it used really slowed down.
    have you speedtested using that vs. using epc.tmobile.com? when i was messing with it back then, they described the "fast" one as for LTE only. maybe that's an improvement since?
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    have you speedtested using that vs. using epc.tmobile.com? when i was messing with it back then, they described the "fast" one as for LTE only. maybe that's an improvement since?
    My speeds are pretty close but fast.t-mobile.com seems to be best. I. Usually right around 7mb with that one.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Update:

I have been using a ATT Pre 3 on T Mo for about 3 weeks. 2 weeks in the EU. T Mo uses 2g for the "unlimited world data." Of course, T Mo sells better/faster service for extra $$ when you get overseas ;-)

2g:

Is good for emails and texts.

text with a photo did not work.

GPS pretty bad - worked once in France, once in Germany, and has not worked in the US yet. Tried rebooting, GPS fix, #*477#, etc. etc. with no luck. When GPS did work map loading was essentially unusable with 2g.

Basic browsing was OK with patience..........i.e. if you really need the info you'll wait otherwise your searching for a wifi connection.

Calls on T Mo are OK. Sprint seems to have better reception overall.

Nonetheless, using the Pre 3 is great, even with the draw backs.

I'll put my Pre- to sleep on Sprint for a couple of months while I travel and add an update in a few weeks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast