Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By broncot
  1.    #1  
    I've read this article about using a Palm profile with two phones Swap your Palm Profile between multiple webOS 2.x phones (homebrew) | webOS Nation but what I really need is a way to copy everything (meaning actually everything, files, contacts, photos, apps, patches, preferences..) from one Pre3 into another one, is it possible at all? What would be the easiest way to go about this?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I've read this article about using a Palm profile with two phones Swap your Palm Profile between multiple webOS 2.x phones (homebrew) | webOS Nation but what I really need is a way to copy everything (meaning actually everything, files, contacts, photos, apps, patches, preferences..) from one Pre3 into another one, is it possible at all? What would be the easiest way to go about this?
    I'm about to go through this myself. My plan is to use Save/Restore for most of the app data, my contacts are with Google, my calendar with Microsoft, I will transfer the usb drive contents (pictures, music, documents, etc) to my computer through the cable, then back to the replacement.
    Unfortunately, there's not a one step easy way-I always loved NVBackup for my Treo 650/700p's.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Rnp likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Unfortunately, there's not a one step easy way-I always loved NVBackup for my Treo 650/700p's.
    Yeah thought so, still, I'd like not to make a mess of this, I've always been so confused about what Palm saves in its profile somewhere.. and also read one can only use one profile at a time so I really worry about wiping out my present data..

About the apps, what do you mean save/restore function, does that mean all my preferences will be saved on the replacement? Example, suppose mode switcher, all my present settings will still be there and so they will for all my other apps or that's just not possible?

I don't mind taking a bit of time, I just scared to screw things up
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Backupman was the "on con cours" in Palm OS! More than perfect!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about something similar for backing up my webOs devices. Is it possible to make a dump of the whole file system and restore it on demand (like for a PC)?
    This should be faster (*) than doctoring the device and restoring all settings etc (and some apps are not available in the catalog anymore).

(*) At least regarding user interaction for restoring everything. I don't care if the restore process takes longer.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    You could back the partitions with dd or with a meta doctor script!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Yeah thought so, still, I'd like not to make a mess of this, I've always been so confused about what Palm saves in its profile somewhere.. and also read one can only use one profile at a time so I really worry about wiping out my present data..

About the apps, what do you mean save/restore function, does that mean all my preferences will be saved on the replacement? Example, suppose mode switcher, all my present settings will still be there and so they will for all my other apps or that's just not possible?

I don't mind taking a bit of time, I just scared to screw things up
    Save/Restore is a homebrew app available through Preware, it backs up the settings of specific apps. I use it to save game progress, databank and checking data. The app detects the apps it can backup. I don't know if there's a list outside of Preware. There are links in this article about what HP backs up and Save/Restore
    Backing up your Palm Profile data | webOS Nation
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  8.    #8  
    I noticed no one mentioned the anti-wipe method described here Swap your Palm Profile between multiple webOS 2.x phones (homebrew) | webOS Nation in order to avoid phone 1 to be wiped out before everything is on phone 2, hence ensuring that if anything goes wrong in the process we still have all the data we need in phone 1, am I being overcautious or you just think is an unnecessary step?

If anyone has gone through the above-mentioned process could you briefly talk me through step 13-14-15 cos that ain't all that clear to me.
    I noticed no one mentioned the anti-wipe method described here Swap your Palm Profile between multiple webOS 2.x phones (homebrew) | webOS Nation in order to avoid phone 1 to be wiped out before everything is on phone 2, hence ensuring that if anything goes wrong in the process we still have all the data we need in phone 1, am I being overcautious or you just think is an unnecessary step?

If anyone has gone through the above-mentioned process could you briefly talk me through step 13-14-15 cos that ain't all that clear to me.
    This is just saying that you somehow need the new phone to be a "fresh device." That is, when you boot it up you see the First Use app as if you just bought it new. This is the thing that lets you sign in to the Palm Profile for the first time.

So if you turn the new phone on and don't immediately see the request to sign in to or create a Profile, you would need to do a device/app erase, or you could Doctor it back. Personally, I always Doctor a new device before setting anything up to be sure it has a clean start.

Of course all of this is AFTER the first 11 steps to ensure that logging in with the new phone doesn't wipe your old one!

I did all of this going from my Pre 2 to my Pre 3. It all worked great, though the Pre 2 quickly started collecting dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    This is just saying that you somehow need the new phone to be a "fresh device." That is, when you boot it up you see the First Use app as if you just bought it new. This is the thing that lets you sign in to the Palm Profile for the first time.

So if you turn the new phone on and don't immediately see the request to sign in to or create a Profile, you would need to do a device/app erase, or you could Doctor it back. Personally, I always Doctor a new device before setting anything up to be sure it has a clean start.

Of course all of this is AFTER the first 11 steps to ensure that logging in with the new phone doesn't wipe your old one!

I did all of this going from my Pre 2 to my Pre 3. It all worked great, though the Pre 2 quickly started collecting dust.
    can do new fone without wipe of old one simply by doing the whole backup of everything in the steps shown around here but at the end of that just put the old phone in airplane mode & you can do your new phone which will get everything over a period of time, be patient. Don't put the old fone on by putting a phoney carrier on it ...you can use wifi with the old fone without trouble...am I correct here ?
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    can do new fone without wipe of old one simply by doing the whole backup of everything in the steps shown around here but at the end of that just put the old phone in airplane mode & you can do your new phone which will get everything over a period of time, be patient. Don't put the old fone on by putting a phoney carrier on it ...you can use wifi with the old fone without trouble...am I correct here ?
    I may be wrong, but if you don't do the initial steps with Impostah, I'm pretty sure the next time the old phone phones home for to dump a Profile backup, it gets knocked off the Profile. So just putting it in airplane mode only lasts as long as it stays off the internet.

Only sure way to stop a wipe on the old device I know is to either completely keep it off the net or do the Impostah trick.
  12.    #12  
    I've successfully managed to use phone 1 and phone 2 without wipying the profile, I've put my main simcard in phone 2 and another simcard in phone 1, until I have the same apps and settings of phone 1 in phone 2 I won't be happy (I likely won't then).

So far issues are:

1) Some apps are not available anymore, I just wondered if there's a way to get them back on phone 2.

2) Some patches either won't install nor via Webosquickinstall despite looking available, has something changed in the past couple of years that prevents some patches to be installed?

3) App catalog won't install and Software Manager won't load any app.
    Last edited by crowning73; 01/28/2014 at 01:01 AM.