Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Hello. At the beginning of 2012 I had the pleasure to own some WebOS devices: Touchpad (even the white 64gb), and the HP Pre3.
    In my opinion, both devices were amazing and I loved them...but the lack of apps and por screen (Touchpad) was a killer.
    But I miss webOS a lot. I used Lumia, Blackberry for a while and now I have a MOTO G and an iPad Mini Retina Display. I am very happy with the iPad and OK with the MOTO G.

As I can buy a brand new (sealed) HP Pre 3, I was wondering: How is it now? How is the browser now in 2014. Is it very slow? Is it a really bad idea to buy a new HP Pre 3 now?

Is the phone now really outdated and it's really time to move on?

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by okkio View Post
    Hello. At the beginning of 2012 I had the pleasure to own some WebOS devices: Touchpad (even the white 64gb), and the HP Pre3.
    In my opinion, both devices were amazing and I loved them...but the lack of apps and por screen (Touchpad) was a killer.
    But I miss webOS a lot. I used Lumia, Blackberry for a while and now I have a MOTO G and an iPad Mini Retina Display. I am very happy with the iPad and OK with the MOTO G.

As I can buy a brand new (sealed) HP Pre 3, I was wondering: How is it now? How is the browser now in 2014. Is it very slow? Is it a really bad idea to buy a new HP Pre 3 now?

Is the phone now really outdated and it's really time to move on?

Thanks for your help.
    It is good. webkit is outdated but the brower works nicely. i love the pre3!
    ananimus likes this.
    I still have my VZW Pre3 from last summer, and it still works great
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    I don't know how it would get any better.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    ananimus and Rnp like this.
    It's still my daily driver. The browser chokes a bit on some sites, but still works for just about everything.

And we've got email, messaging, Twitter, RSS feeds, podcasts and an app that will let you post to the webOS Nation forums. What more do you really need?
    geekpeter and eKeith like this.
    Still my daily driver. Just finishing a nigh 3 week vacay and have had to pull out my laptop precisely once for something my Pre 3 couldn't manage. Everything else it handled with aplomb!

Though maybe I should add I've been all webOS as daily driver since 2009.
    eKeith likes this.
    Worked ok as a sub for 3 weeks in Dec. But I missed not being to open some calendar invites and PDFs, some pop bugs in email that would force entry of password again to get email. Browser was slow and I missed a retina screen. Also free tether only works if phone is rebooted.
    If I need a sub in Europe this summer I am wondering if smarter to take the veer at least to get slightly faster speeds.
    I still love the Pre3, but not enough to use as a daily phone, My reasons are that I have now finally used a fullscreen phone and VKB and i don't think i can go back to having to slide open the small keyboard. also my pre3 had some error with caller ID so was useless in that part which i need.

still play around with it from time to time. Sits on my desk with my Gnex phone waiting for something to happen in the webOS world.
    Still got my HP Pre3 and HP Touchpad. Sorry to say but I'm off in a moment to pick up a Moto G from Best Buy, for $99 w/no contract w/Verizon.

Been looking for other phones lately. Absolutely fond of the Pre, which is why I've held on to it too long. But it's my mission critical phone and I can't afford to be without a phone. Who knows when HP will stop supporting the lot. I've been searching for a replacement for 1.5 years, but nothing compares. But now I have to bite the bullet and let it go as my daily phone.

The Touchpad I'll keep, I don't need to get another for what I do with it right now. If or when I upgrade it'll probably be a Surface Pro or Pro 2.

I'll forever be sad about the debacle HP inflicted on WEB OS. The idiocy of it all.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I recently pulled my Pre3 out of my gadget drawer. I'm currently using an HTC first (with facebook Home turned off of course) as my daily driver, but I have a serious nostalgia-spot for the Pre3.

Sadly, I've discovered a number of apps and services that no longer work on my beloved Pre3. The pocket/ReadItLater app Pop!Later seems to be broken, as well as the clients I used for Dropbox and SkyDrive. Feeder, which was my favorite Google Reader client, is also defunct because of the shuttering of Google Reader. These were my most used apps and services, and I'm kind of bummed out that they've been left behind.

However, messaging, email, and calendars all seem to still work (syncing with my gmail account). The browser, while beginning to show its age, still seems to render most pages faithfully.

The Evernote app actually seems to be functional still, but I run into some formatting errors occasionally. Project Macaw is still one of my favorite Twitter clients, and, surprisingly, is still updated on a regular basis. The DoctorPodder fork GuttenPodder is still a simple and functional podcast app.

Many apps were never truly updated for the higher resolution screen of the Pre3, so if you decide to get one, you'll want to run a search for threads detailing how to expand some afflicted apps, and how to swap out launcher icons for better/higher resolution alternatives. Both are really easy to do once you know how.

If you have as much webOS nostalgia as I do, you'll definitely appreciate owning a Pre3, but the lack of Dropbox and Pocket prevent me from using it as my daily driver, and I would suggest keeping a fall-back phone in case you discover that you have similar deal-breaker problems.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post

If you have as much webOS nostalgia as I do, you'll definitely appreciate owning a Pre3, but the lack of Dropbox and Pocket prevent me from using it as my daily driver...
    (Explorer for Dropox works great. DropBoxify I know is also fixed, at least mostly.)
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    (Explorer for Dropox works great. DropBoxify I know is also fixed, at least mostly.)
    Hey, thanks for the tip about Dropboxify! It looks like I have it working now.

Now if only Pop!Later would get an update...

edit: Here is a link to the thread that will show you how to patch the dropbox API calls in Dropboxify to allow you to authenticate your log-in and view/download/share dropbox files: Dropboxify not working anymore?
    Last edited by jlamb0; 01/04/2014 at 06:11 PM.
    still using my pre 3 every day with straighttalk. good speed and very effective at performing my business tasks.
    ananimus and eKeith like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post
    Feeder, which was my favorite Google Reader client, is also defunct because of the shuttering of Google Reader.
    Defunct? Or improved?
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...eder-fork.html

The Developer, Aressel, commented further up this thread yesterday - which was when he submitted version 1.1.3 to the app catalogue.

Due to the lack of news on webOS Nation, there is this: pivotCE | webOS News, Tips, and Tricks
    Vistaus likes this.
    For whole of 2013 I owned an Android phone. Came back to Webos (2 weeks ago) (Pre 3) and honestly there's some querks that'll make your life so much easier when you need it to be.

I think you've really got to understand and try WebOS for yourself to realise the potential

Bottom line, it works, it has most of the basic needs and functions. But never ever expect it to compete with modern days smartphones, it just doesn't have the apps. The phone has the functionality but those features aren't completely used because of the lack of developers.

The browser is actually not bad at all, better than my Xperia to be fair. I don't know it's just more "enjoyful" to use I found. As a phone, that means email, browsing, SMS, camera, notes, maps, it works beautifully for me much easier to.
    deibski likes this.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Coming from iOS and Android, maps are a pain-point. But I've learned to do without when I'm carrying my Pre3.

Well homebrew Google Maps is quite good :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    ashi likes this.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Defunct? Or improved?
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...eder-fork.html

The Developer, Aressel, commented further up this thread yesterday - which was when he submitted version 1.1.3 to the app catalogue.

Due to the lack of news on webOS Nation, there is this: pivotCE | webOS News, Tips, and Tricks
    This is awesome! It doesn't look like the update is in the catalogue yet, but the Preware feed works fine, and it is definitely a great update to Feeder!

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Well homebrew Google Maps is quite good :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    It is good, don't get me wrong. That developer deserves boatloads of praise for all their hard work! But it's still significantly behind the stock maps apps on Android and iOS.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hi i still use my pre 3 as webOS is still usable in 2014 and i like the user interface with the cards, but the battery life is now reduced after two years and i use it as a back up phone, a shame webOS was not continued and improved with a full touch screen, it`s been enjoyable while it lasted.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast