Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    She's still my daily driver... I need a keyboard an Touchstone.

Only if I can fix the damn contacts linking problem with Google Talk.
    I agree, our webos phones have their limitations here and there, but for what I do the most they still the best to me. Yeah, keyboard and touchstone a must for me also.

Speaking of keyboard, I like my screen around 50% and keyboard at 100%. I was very frustrated with the keyboard patches and not performing that well, and then I remembered one of the very first homebrew apps brightness unlinked, installed it and viola, keyboard lit up in all its glory. We owe a lot to all who contributed over the years
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I agree, our webos phones have their limitations here and there, but for what I do the most they still the best to me. Yeah, keyboard and touchstone a must for me also.

Speaking of keyboard, I like my screen around 50% and keyboard at 100%. I was very frustrated with the keyboard patches and not performing that well, and then I remembered one of the very first homebrew apps brightness unlinked, installed it and viola, keyboard lit up in all its glory. We owe a lot to all who contributed over the years
    wait a minute. i've never installed it because i thought brightness unlinked was for 1.x

i want my screen at minimum but i cant because i need the keyboard at least 15%
    I always wondered why the brightness patches didn't incorporate that feature. I think there is one that inverts them (keyboard brightness goes up was screen brightness goes down), but I can never find it, so it must only be available for certain webOS versions.
    Pre2 still daily driver (various Pres since 2009). Another Pre2 as spare. Pre3 EU was too crippled for my mem needs and i prever the formfactor of the 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I always wondered why the brightness patches didn't incorporate that feature. I think there is one that inverts them (keyboard brightness goes up was screen brightness goes down), but I can never find it, so it must only be available for certain webOS versions.
    One can always install the 1.4.5 feed into preware and see what still works
    has anyone managed to get the sdlterminal full screen on a pre3 ?

tried
    "uiRevision":2
    in
    appinfo.json

to no avail.

any help ?

many many thanks !
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    wait a minute. i've never installed it because i thought brightness unlinked was for 1.x

Hey, thanks for this thread. I have had problems with the keyboard light on my Pre3 for ages - basically it doesn't turn on when the keyboard is opened (most of the time) but it will come on if I reboot with the keyboard open.

This thread prompted me to install brightness unlinked and fiddling with the keyboard brightness forces it to come on. It goes off when I close the keyboard and fails to come on again when opened but at least I have a way to force it on now so thanks all.
    ...although Project Ara is showing promise. There seems to already be a keyboard module, maybe if Rod would develop a Touchstone charging module.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

I use 'Advanced System Behaviour' patch for that. In Tweaks app you can then set min and max keyboard brightness independent from display brightness.
    Quote Originally Posted by okkio View Post
    Hello. At the beginning of 2012 I had the pleasure to own some WebOS devices: Touchpad (even the white 64gb), and the HP Pre3.
    In my opinion, both devices were amazing and I loved them...but the lack of apps and por screen (Touchpad) was a killer.
    But I miss webOS a lot. I used Lumia, Blackberry for a while and now I have a MOTO G and an iPad Mini Retina Display. I am very happy with the iPad and OK with the MOTO G.

As I can buy a brand new (sealed) HP Pre 3, I was wondering: How is it now? How is the browser now in 2014. Is it very slow? Is it a really bad idea to buy a new HP Pre 3 now?

Is the phone now really outdated and it's really time to move on?

Thanks for your help.
    I use a Pre3 as my backup and traveling phone but an iPhone is my daily driver. I see many similarities between the iPhone o/s and Palm (I used Palm hardware from the Palm Pilot days). I like the Pre3 but would only recommend it as a backup or second phone to play with; not as a mission critical device. Sorry, but it's time to move on from Palm/HP devices unless you are a hobbyist.
    Quote Originally Posted by okkio View Post
    Hello. At the beginning of 2012 I had the pleasure to own some WebOS devices: Touchpad (even the white 64gb), and the HP Pre3.
    In my opinion, both devices were amazing and I loved them...but the lack of apps and por screen (Touchpad) was a killer.
    But I miss webOS a lot. I used Lumia, Blackberry for a while and now I have a MOTO G and an iPad Mini Retina Display. I am very happy with the iPad and OK with the MOTO G.

As I can buy a brand new (sealed) HP Pre 3, I was wondering: How is it now? How is the browser now in 2014. Is it very slow? Is it a really bad idea to buy a new HP Pre 3 now?

Is the phone now really outdated and it's really time to move on?

Thanks for your help.
    I recently purchased one and I have been very pleased. I was surprised at the overall speed of the device. Web browser is great!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Hey, thanks for this thread. I have had problems with the keyboard light on my Pre3 for ages - basically it doesn't turn on when the keyboard is opened (most of the time) but it will come on if I reboot with the keyboard open.

This thread prompted me to install brightness unlinked and fiddling with the keyboard brightness forces it to come on. It goes off when I close the keyboard and fails to come on again when opened but at least I have a way to force it on now so thanks all.
    Hey, there is also a patch to launch brightness unlinked in background on luna reboot (any reboot). It installs on my pre2 so it probly work on your pre3
    Last edited by laingman; 04/20/2014 at 08:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Still using my Pre3 and also got a spare unit, actually two spares but one of them is QWERTY. I rather use QWERTZ since it got a better keyboard layout for my native language.

Im not a power-user and basicly use the phone for for calls and calender. I still find webOS superior, its got a nice flow, its smooth to use and now that Im used to physical keyboard I havent felt the need to change to a modern device. Wouldnt mind a better camera and if I had to move away from my trusty Pre3 I would probably go with a Windows Phone.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Just bought a Pre3 and hoping to use that as my daily driver instead of my Pixi (which means I have to change from Sprint to a GSM carrier or MVNO or prepaid....)

Fortunately there is a lot of good information on this forum for people like me who will be new to the Pre3!
    Join date: 07/22/2003 (Going to hold on to my Pixi Pre 3 as long as I can!)
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Hi i have UK pre 3 i use it occasionally, as for pre 3 in 2014 it's still ok,
    E Mail no problems and browser slow compared to latest phones but it's
    the OS that i like using, it seems many other systems have borrowed
    parts of webOS but never equalled it, as for spare battery managed to buy one
    in China for 10 GBP, same as HP but with manufacturer's own label, now have two
    batteries to keep pre 3 going for a bit longer, if it's low price buy it, they are hard to find new,
    also have Touchpad and use it daily still works well, palm profiles and app store still work
    but limited apps, the pre 3 will without warning drain the battery to shutdown level only happened twice in my use and i must have phone for E Mails so i use Blackberry Bold 9900 as main phone,
    I'm waiting for my unlocked AT&T Pre3 to come but in the meantime I got a SIM for Ultra Wireless (T-mobile MVNO) and tried it out on my unlocked GSM Pre 2. Much to my dismay there was no coverage in a bunch of places around town.

What US based GSM carriers/MVNO's are people using?
    (There is an OLD thread on this topic but the last post was in 2011 and I didn't want to revive such an old thread...but I can post there if that is more appropriate)

Basically I just don't spend a lot of time on the phone and don't use a lot of data. Right now I am on a Sprint Pixi (which I hacked to add wifi) which is only a 3G so getting the fastest Data speed isn't a huge concern...BUT I do need decent coverage so I am looking at AT&T MVNO's...

So far I am considering Airvoice Wireless or AIO wireless....

Any suggestions?

(Also is there any chance that a Pre3 with the same Ultra wireless sim will do better at getting a signal?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    I'm waiting for my unlocked AT&T Pre3 to come but in the meantime I got a SIM for Ultra Wireless (T-mobile MVNO) and tried it out on my unlocked GSM Pre 2. Much to my dismay there was no coverage in a bunch of places around town.

What US based GSM carriers/MVNO's are people using?
    (There is an OLD thread on this topic but the last post was in 2011 and I didn't want to revive such an old thread...but I can post there if that is more appropriate)

Basically I just don't spend a lot of time on the phone and don't use a lot of data. Right now I am on a Sprint Pixi (which I hacked to add wifi) which is only a 3G so getting the fastest Data speed isn't a huge concern...BUT I do need decent coverage so I am looking at AT&T MVNO's...

So far I am considering Airvoice Wireless or AIO wireless....

Any suggestions?

(Also is there any chance that a Pre3 with the same Ultra wireless sim will do better at getting a signal?)
    AT&T MVNO like AIO would be your best bet as frequencies used by t-mobile are not present (hardware wise) on the PRe 3. Pre 3 only has AT&T specific antennas unless you are ok with 2G.

Straighttalk or AIO would be my suggestion with AIO getting my recommendation as I have used Straight talk and data is sometimes problematic due to AT&T changing rules and towers you can connect to, continually. I foresee this being less of a problem for AIO as it is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient2k7 View Post
    AT&T MVNO like AIO would be your best bet as frequencies used by t-mobile are not present (hardware wise) on the PRe 3. Pre 3 only has AT&T specific antennas unless you are ok with 2G.

Straighttalk or AIO would be my suggestion with AIO getting my recommendation as I have used Straight talk and data is sometimes problematic due to AT&T changing rules and towers you can connect to, continually. I foresee this being less of a problem for AIO as it is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&t.
    Thanks for sharing your experience! One concern with AIO is in the fine print of their cheapest plan it says it is for feature phones only..... I'm going to try a bunch of things before deciding which service to port my number to!
    Hi All,

Think I might be getting other Pre 3 for the third time lol , there is just something about webOS that draws me back!

Even my Jolla is no match IMO for the way webOS works, hope to replace my Nexus 5 as a daily driver, will need to make sure whatsapp works!

Barry
    Grabber5.0, laingman and eKeith like this.
    If ya mean MojoWhatsapp, I just used it yesterday on my Pre 3. Cheers!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast