Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
    I just got a Pre3 myself... love it, and wouldn't switch from WebOs unless absolutely no choice, and then I'd have trouble choosing with what to go.

Overall, the number of Apps is limited, but a few tricks and many will be fine or be obtainable.

If anything, I still find WebOs to be easier to use, and lightyears away from all the others that are mimicking it more and more, slowly catching up.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by okkio View Post
    Hello. At the beginning of 2012 I had the pleasure to own some WebOS devices: Touchpad (even the white 64gb), and the HP Pre3.
    In my opinion, both devices were amazing and I loved them...but the lack of apps and por screen (Touchpad) was a killer.
    But I miss webOS a lot. I used Lumia, Blackberry for a while and now I have a MOTO G and an iPad Mini Retina Display. I am very happy with the iPad and OK with the MOTO G.

As I can buy a brand new (sealed) HP Pre 3, I was wondering: How is it now? How is the browser now in 2014. Is it very slow? Is it a really bad idea to buy a new HP Pre 3 now?

Is the phone now really outdated and it's really time to move on?

Thanks for your help.
    I purchased a used Verizon Pre 3 about a month ago on ebay (I got a good deal - $150 + shipping). Today, I activated it - replacing my Pre 2. Oh my, it's everything the Pre 2 is but at turbo speed. Everything reacts quicker - I haven't installed Pre Ware yet, and I'm already satisfied with its performance. I even got to skype my dad on my phone - it's great!
    There is one issue with WebOS devices, when you are activating it for the 1st time, none of the apps are going to install. I went on-line and found that you have to set the date to before July 23, 2013 (I set mine to July 21) - something about an up-dated certificate. So, set it to this date and turn of network time and turn off the time zone, restart your device. Check to make sure the date is still the same, and the first thing you do is to update the Hp App catalog. Once this gets updated, you can set the correct date back and restart again - once it comes back up, you can now update all your apps.
    TJs11thPre and guilledil like this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I've owned a GSM Pre 3 for over a year. Sadly I was married to Sprint and using a FrankenPre2, and the Pre 3 was sitting in the kitchen for use as a kitchen timer with occasional recipe lookup and Pandora. Sprint was slow and required an Airave to work at all in my house, but I had the "my niece works for Sprint" plan.

Well, last weekend I switched to T-mobile! I soon realized the Pre 3 was locked to AT&T and wound up activating my line on an old unlocked AT&T Pixi Plus. The few hours I spent on webOS 1.4.5 were nostalgic but not particularly fun.

I found Dobert's free unlock script (Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones), but couldn't get it to work in Linux, and finally borrowed an XP computer and got it unlocked.

I have a car Touchstone. I tried the magnet modification to get the Pre 3 to stay on, but I couldn't get it working. So I modified it by popping off the ring and filing it down with a half-round file after reading: make your classic touchstone hold your pre 3 better.

Once I got Preware, advanced patches, the Pandora patch, my custom carrier string, and the patched SDLterminal (with all the key bindings I need) set up, I began to realize that my Palm profile had saved things I hadn't thought it would. I pulled up websites, and my cookies were already there. I installed apps, even from Preware, to find my settings were already the way I liked them. Score.

It's faster, and I find I do like the bigger screen. The keyboard is really nice. It still requires a daily sacrificial reboot to work well, and sometimes a second one helps. But I am quite happy with it.

Oh, I ordered a spare battery from Mugen. It'll be a few weeks before they ship.
    Last edited by ashi; 01/07/2014 at 11:53 AM.
    TJs11thPre and guilledil like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    I just got a Pre3 myself... love it, and wouldn't switch from WebOs unless absolutely no choice, and then I'd have trouble choosing with what to go.

Overall, the number of Apps is limited, but a few tricks and many will be fine or be obtainable.

If anything, I still find WebOs to be easier to use, and lightyears away from all the others that are mimicking it more and more, slowly catching up.
    CONGRATS!

if you are on a good HSPA+ network, like Bell Mobility in CA, then you have yourself an awesome phone that is certainly fast enough to be considered 'current' for today. Unless you're hell-bent on using "apps" instead of a mobile or desktop website (i usually interpret it to mean "games") there is great joy to be had in daily using a Pre3. Just be careful with the dang thing. I was too afraid of dropping mine and went back to Pre2's.
    Quote Originally Posted by qwikstep View Post
    I purchased a used Verizon Pre 3 about a month ago on ebay (I got a good deal - $150 + shipping). Today, I activated it - replacing my Pre 2. Oh my, it's everything the Pre 2 is but at turbo speed.
    if you can find the time, i'd love to see some speedtest.net results of the VZN Pre3.

The test will run successfully on a GSM Pre3 that's on H+ (i've tested at 7-8Mbps dl), so I'm interested in if it will run and what it reports on VZN at 3G. Post here if you can: Speedtest results for 2013-4?

I hope you enjoy that Pre3. If you have a decent data plan, being stuck at 3G is a worthy sacrifice to stay with webOS, which is why i'm still with Sprint and not leaving until they cap me (or this Pre comm board from 2010 finally goes kaput!)
    I've been using mine for my daily driver for 2 1/2 years now and the only issues I have is shortened battery life and tethering is rarely successful. I've used an extended from Mugen and the original and neither lasts longer than 3 hours of constant internet use.

I have the cheapo tmobile $30 web, text, 100 mins. and I'm a very happy camper. Most pages render just fine in decent time as well. I have Preware installed, but I don't have a need for alot of apps anyways.

Bought a spare for when this one is no longer working - yes, I love my Pre3 that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by steeled View Post
    ... and tethering is rarely successful.
    Funny, tethering always works perfectly for me and more reliable and faster that on android devices. I use freetether of course and I find that once tether has been turned on and later off you need to reboot the phone before it will turn on again but provided it is something I only do rarely and I know this then it is fine.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I haven't tried freetether on my Pre3 yet - I need to do that. It still works perfectly on my Sprint Pre from 2010 (my '09 model was destroyed by my dog).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Funny, tethering always works perfectly for me and more reliable and faster that on android devices. I use freetether of course and I find that once tether has been turned on and later off you need to reboot the phone before it will turn on again but provided it is something I only do rarely and I know this then it is fine.
    Huh. Wasn't it in this thread? I confirm that's the case for my Pre 3. (Works flawlessly once, then needs reboot to work again.)

Some issue with resetting the network config the original dev didn't work out. Another dev recently posted over in the freetether thread that they think they have a solution, but they need help compiling some stuff.
    Just tested Mobile Hotspot and tethered my Touchpad...

No issues whatsoever.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    I love the keyboard and the finger friendliness of my pre3 but the wifi doldrums, lack of ip security cam apps, lack of predictive text, and lack of voice to text makes me sadly lust over other fones ...I have a cheap android 4.0 tablet and do not like android at that level... I have windows8.1 on my computer & although I do not even see metro (I boot to desktop & use it with classic start menu so metro never appears at all), I can see where the tiles might be great on a phone... from the getgo I said the metro interface makes the computer into a big phone... I have been looking at the nokia1020 but am still scared to let my keyboard go ...it's a mess. This "mess" would be mitigated by the android on card or a dual boot like cyanogen which runs perfectly on my touchpad... waiting...
    Having owned Android and iOS phones since I bought my Pre, I am no longer attracted to anything that's not webOS. I do wish some apps were available for my Pre2 and Pre3, but I'm not giving them up.
    Rnp, eKeith and ashi like this.
    oh yes, I do use my pre3 daily ...I have a physical challenge which makes the one handed use of the keyboard easy as opposed to a screen keyboard which is difficult ...also, the speakerphone is a must for me and the pre3 has an excellent one with good volume & clear sound ...I have had, in the past, phones that were good for everything except to make calls...ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Having owned Android and iOS phones since I bought my Pre, I am no longer attracted to anything that's not webOS. I do wish some apps were available for my Pre2 and Pre3, but I'm not giving them up.
    did you handle any windows phones ? ...also, some say LG is going to bring out a whole bevy of new phones this year ...any hope for a webOS phone or as an option on their stuff?
    Last edited by patapoof; 01/19/2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: mor
    Rnp and ashi like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    did you handle any windows phones ? ...also, some say LG is going to bring out a whole bevy of new phones this year ...any hope for a webOS phone or as an option on their stuff?
    Only long enough to want to barf on them I can't handle the text running off the screen everywhere, and don't like the live tiles (not that they are live, but the way they look and work).
    As for LG, I've stopped putting hope in companies putting out a webOS phone. I would love it though, and would definitely buy one, unless they managed to ruin the webOS experience.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/19/2014 at 05:06 PM.
    Rnp likes this.
    I still use my Pre3 as my daily go to phone. The exception was when I was out of the country for a few weeks and needed to have a language dictionary/conjugation app that did not require internet access to work. Sadly, the ones that I had for webos did, so I put the SIM in an iPhone 3GS and purchased the offline apps that I needed.

My pet peeve with the Pre3 is the media indexer. For some reason it is choking on some file, so when I take a photo or download a file, the photo viewer can't find it and neither can the email app attach it to a message. Is there a log file where a person can see what file is causing the indexer problems? I'm going to remove all patches, wipe the user partition, and then start restoring things.
    Only long enough to want to barf on them I can't handle the text running off the screen everywhere, and don't like the live tiles (not that they are live, but the way they look and work).
    As for LG, I've stopped putting hope in companies putting out a webOS phone. I would love it though, and would definitely buy one, unless they managed to ruin the webOS experience.
    I agree. If you make any lg mobile comes with webos run out and buy one. But I see complicated. Anyone know where I can get a touchpad with webos? ? Here in mexico there are none!

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I have multiple Android devices, since Android's release, but my Pre3 is my daily driver... and I have a spare
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    ashi likes this.
    She's still my daily driver... I need a keyboard an Touchstone.

Only if I can fix the damn contacts linking problem with Google Talk.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    ashi likes this.
    Hi Matt,

feeling exactly like, the formfactor and the OS of this Phone is still unreached.

Cheers

Achim from Germany
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast