Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By imfallen_angel
  1.    #1  
    Hello

Received my lovely Pre 3, bypassed the activation so that I could install Preware. Installed some of the necessary patches I like and also app tuckerbox and impostah.

Activated my device through Impostah and installed app tuckerbox and configure preware.

Now how'd you install the apps and patches? Some incompatible apps for instance won't install (error 403), even though they are free but on different WebOS version.

Obviously I want to try and install stuff from different versions; how'd I go about doing this?

Thanks

Forget all that, I am just wondering now can I simply use the "nodeletepatch" that's been posted on here to save the IPK packages for long term use?

I mean will it have the credentials for me to simply install it via say Internalz?

Worrying if the HP servers for webos completely go down and we can't login to our profiles is it still possible to keep hold of our paid apps?
    Last edited by Michael Long3; 12/21/2013 at 12:15 PM.
    IIRC, app tuckerbox will no longer enable you to install incompatible apps.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Long3 View Post
    Hello

Received my lovely Pre 3, bypassed the activation so that I could install Preware. Installed some of the necessary patches I like and also app tuckerbox and impostah.

Activated my device through Impostah and installed app tuckerbox and configure preware.

Now how'd you install the apps and patches? Some incompatible apps for instance won't install (error 403), even though they are free but on different WebOS version.

Obviously I want to try and install stuff from different versions; how'd I go about doing this?

Thanks
    There are two ways, I have found to install apps for the Pre3, one is to take the IPK from the valid device and then use webOSQI or Preware to install them, assuming you own that device and purchase the Apps legally you have a right to backup/restore them...

Two, you can also attempt an Impostah approach, and impersonate another device, this works on Touchpad Go's to impersonate a Touchpad 4G/WiFi. But be for warned if you make a mistake the device is not forgiving and might device wipe itself...
  4.    #4  
    I'll try impersonating the touchpad if it doesn't work I won't exactly lose anything. Just have to set it up again

By the way anyone know where they now store your credit card information? Want some of my old apps back ha
    Not sure I understand exactly what you're at.

To download apps you paid for in the past without being charged again you'd have to use your old palm profile on your current device.

To add a credit card to your current profile open the app menu in the app catalogue and go to accounts.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Not sure I understand exactly what you're at.

To download apps you paid for in the past without being charged again you'd have to use your old palm profile on your current device.

To add a credit card to your current profile open the app menu in the app catalogue and go to accounts.
    Yeah but when I moved over I removed my Palm Profile and everything belonging to it; so lost everything (stupid me ).

I'm a bit weary adding a credit card now because when I go on it it says it's stored by a 3rd party vendor? Or something along those lines. It states it isn't held by HP or Palm? So who's storing my details?
  7.    #7  
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ __
    Forget all that, I am just wondering now can I simply use the "nodeletepatch" that's been posted on here to save the IPK packages for long term use?

I mean will it have the credentials for me to simply install it via say Internalz?

Worrying if the HP servers for webos completely go down and we can't login to our profiles is it still possible to keep hold of our paid apps?
  8.    #8  
    Update: Impersonated the Touchpad and got some free apps I wanted now going back to the Pre 3.

Not sure if it'll wipe. However regarding paid apps, say I purchase an app with whatever card details then save the IPK, could I simply remove my HP profile (so it's all local) with my paid apps? I mean will they work?

Reason being is if I can live without logging into the Palm/HP servers then it's all good because I won't need to rely on their backups and the potential threat of the device wiping itself for whatever reason.

I'd of paid for the apps, so shouldn't this be OK? course I'm more worried of them not installing like if I remove my profile by accident and having to paid for stuff again.
    For a long time I wondered how to save the Apps from one device, should HP's servers go down and well, thanks to your thread here, I forced myself to get into it...

And yippee... and it's also an answer to my other question that I stated in another thread... about Apps that I have bought, that aren't showing in my Pre3 catalog.

I was able to get Radiant defense, and Tower Wars from my Touchpad to my Pre3... Tower Wars was a pain because I ended up needing to tweak multiple index.html within the folders of the game, but eventually found how to get it to size accordingly to the screen.. I wish I could get it to zoom in and out... but at this point, that escapes me.

So the process isn't too bad, it's all about getting the app folder copied, repacking it into an IPK, and installing it via the quick install.

I still have many others to test this out with... but so far, it's fantastic to have made some headway.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 12/24/2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Michael Long3 likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    For a long time I wondered how to save the Apps from one device, should HP's servers go down and well, thanks to your thread here, I forced myself to get into it...

And yippee... and it's also an answer to my other question that I stated in another thread... about Apps that I have bought, that aren't showing in my Pre3 catalog.

I was able to get Radiant defense, and Tower Wars from my Touchpad to my Pre3... Tower Wars was a pain because I ended up needing to tweak multiple index.html within the folders of the game, but eventually found how to get it to size accordingly to the screen.. I wish I could get it to zoom in and out... but at this point, that escapes me.

So the process isn't too bad, it's all about getting the app folder copied, repacking it into an IPK, and installing it via the quick install.

I still have many others to test this out with... but so far, it's fantastic to have made some headway.
    Just for reference it's HERE in case of any casual on lookers

I simply have two accounts, one for impersonating a touchpad to download touchpad games and my daily account for my Pre 3 which I buy things on Impostah is really amazing.

That's another great thing about this OS, you can configure things you want so it works. Thanks for mentioning how to fix Tower Wars looking to install that

Fortunately most of the time it's just a case of a simple line tweak. Lucky most of the apps just work nicely

By the way why do you need to repackage the IPKs? Shouldn't you simply be able to edit the files and Luna restart?
    Just for reference it's HERE in case of any casual on lookers

I simply have two accounts, one for impersonating a touchpad to download touchpad games and my daily account for my Pre 3 which I buy things on Impostah is really amazing.

That's another great thing about this OS, you can configure things you want so it works. Thanks for mentioning how to fix Tower Wars looking to install that

Fortunately most of the time it's just a case of a simple line tweak. Lucky most of the apps just work nicely

By the way why do you need to repackage the IPKs? Shouldn't you simply be able to edit the files and Luna restart?
    Well, looked at the link and it's a long read...

How do you switch the the impersonating the Touchpad thing? I'm at a lost.

For Tower Wars.. arrrgh... it's working and all, but I can't register it, so it's in "easy" trial mode... I have no idea how to "trigger the registering.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Hello

Thanks

Don't know what you mean by "credentials"... but if you keep the IPKs you can install them on any device without Palm Profile via Preware or palm-install (from the SDK) or webos quick install.

Only very few Apps check back with the HP-Servers if they are allowed to run on a device. I know of Ndrive, which caused some issues with it not starting up without a data connection.

You can also use that method to transfer apps between devices, even if the "other device" is officially not supported by that app. Just copy the IPK over and install it. Then see, how/if it works.

I installed the no-delete patch on all my devices and now move the IPKs to my own backup server from time to time. The app-store IPKs will be in /media/internal/download/ the Preware stuff will be in /media/internal/.developer/