Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    And switched back to the Pre3 the next day. How did this OS win? It looks so dated compared to even webOS, and doesn't seem to have advanced much since I got my original iPhone 1. The UI lacks uniformity in places and is nowhere near as intuitive as webOS, Android or even my old Treo 680 running PalmOS. I'd go as far as calling it a featurephone rather than a true smartphone.

Ebay item 141141416778 if anybody wants one.
    Much of success has to do with luck, momentum, timing etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post

and was mass populace that can't even work a doorknob when it comes to technology. My wife asked me the other day why I hates Apple so much. I told her I dont hate Apple at all, in fact, I think Apple products are nicely done. I just can't stand the Apple (iPhone) users that swear by the product and can't even tell you why.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Apple is all about PRPRPR. $The$ $have$ $the$ $most$ $clever$ $marketing$ $out$ $there$. $It$'$s$ $sad$, $but$ $that$ $is$ $probably$ $the$ $biggest$ $reason$ $for$ $their$ $overwhelming$ $success$. $Of$ $course$ $also$ $luck$, $i$.$e$. $the$ $right$ $time$ $and$ $place$.

For example Symbian and Windows Mobile had to die, because they were earlier and at their time there were no (affordable) capacitive touch screens, only resistive once. The resistive were not really accurate with your finger, so people had to use pens. You can hit much tinier things with pens but you don't really swipe with them. So when the capacitive touch screens that only worked with your thumbs came up those systems were done, because the complete UI was obsolete.

Then there is Android which strives from Google's image of being "open" and a gift to the community and what not... sure, the core of Android is open source. But the Google Apps are not (which assemble more and more important functionality of the core system in them, too... so Android is slowly transitioning into a proprietary system, but still is imagined to be open source). Also the system itself is not really "open", in terms of rooting or doing stuff with it that it was never meant for.

Oh, and you all probably know the Palm ads better than me anyway. For a lot of people these things count. Because you can't really keep up with all the technology stuff out there. It's just to much and moving way too fast. Especially if you also have a day job and some other interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher View Post
    And switched back to the Pre3 the next day. How did this OS win? It looks so dated compared to even webOS, and doesn't seem to have advanced much since I got my original iPhone 1. The UI lacks uniformity in places and is nowhere near as intuitive as webOS, Android or even my old Treo 680 running PalmOS. I'd go as far as calling it a featurephone rather than a true smartphone.

Remove the OS, the hardware is basic no giant frills, now add the OS, Apple has always been the King of making Geeky Computer things, easy to the users who do not want to program, hack, or run programs, all they want is a UI that is basic enough for them to operate...

FYI My wife has a iPhone4S and an iPad Mini, I am a computer person, she is not, she uses computers like a toaster, puts bread in, turns on, when it is done she is done with it...

She likes the user interface of iOS 6.x she does not like iOS 7.x (more techie), she has not upgrade to iOS 7 (her phone memory is full and can't upgrade), she is happy to be stuck on iOS6, her iPad mini went iOS 7 and she hates the interface now...

People who use technology like a microwave/toaster, are the people that made Apple what it is today, they use the technology but do not want to program/hack it they want to use it to do a task, answer a call, schedule a meeting, waste time play a game, they do not want to run programs, or save files, or do any of the traditional computer geeky things ...

The technology people pushed for open, open, open that is Android...

Palm/HP/webOS was a good technology, but because of management issues, it would never come to pass at this time maybe LG will make it what it should have been (in TVs?)?
    They did a good job making the iphone seem special. Remember the this is the real internet ad with the new york times, and once developers were onboard there was the there's an app for that ad, and if it's not an iphone, something to that effect

But even without the ads and even before the launch they managed to build up so much buzz and cool factor that is carrying them to this day.

Maybe because it was a follow up to the ipod
    It's simple. The iPhone does what it's supposed to do. The latest OS can be used on a 2010 iPhone 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    It's simple. The iPhone does what it's supposed to do. The latest OS can be used on a 2010 iPhone 4.
    What that mean. Other phones don't ?
    What that mean. Other phones don't ?
    In terms of OS updates, no.
    Oh, yes... and the system is very heavy in old devices, not all functions works in old devices...

My IPhone 4 was sluggish in iOS 6.x and I has to update to this toy called iOS 7.x... less sluggish, but no much... and the battery is drinking more than me!

In other words, the iPhones supposed to do what only partially really do...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    As opposed to WebOS and Android? The worst at having updates.
    By the way, I do not own or use an iPhone. My wife has a first generation iPod touch from around 2007 that in terms of use, blows away my WebOS phone and her Android phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher View Post

It's probably that you aren't used to it. The Pre 3 is a great phone nonetheless.
    By the way, I do not own or use an iPhone. My wife has a first generation iPod touch from around 2007 that in terms of use, blows away my WebOS phone and her Android phone.
    You mean the original iPod (not touchscreen but the mechanical wheel replaced by the touch wheel)?

You need to get your hands on a Zen Vision M,which Apple stole the interface from, and the touch sensor approach.

That blows the iPods away more than you'd ever could imagine...

My friend... hooked on iPods of that generation at the time, I showed him the Vision M, we "raced" to do things, and then the list of everything I could do that his iPod couldn't, plus the audio quality that is tenfold better...

He went and got himself two Visions within the next month.

The ONLY trouble is... the drives... the iPods managed to be king for the disk capacity, as the Zens stayed at 30GB (and then the larger one at 60GB).

How technology has changed...
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    The iPod touch is pretty much an iPhone without the phone part.
    The iPod was released in 2001. The Zen Vision M was released in December 2005.
    The iPod was released in 2001. The Zen Vision M was released in December 2005.
    There were previous Zen models, that Apple stole the interface from... they went to court, Creative accepted a plea outside the court...

I'm used the Vision M because of the year mentioned... and the most comparable to the 7th generation iPod,

The first Creative MP3 players (Nomads, that eventually turned into the Zen line) were launched before the iPods, by at least a year.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    There were previous Zen models, that Apple stole the interface from... they went to court, Creative accepted a plea outside the court...

I'm used the Vision M because of the year mentioned... and the most comparable to the 7th generation iPod,

The first Creative MP3 players (Nomads, that eventually turned into the Zen line) were launched before the iPods, by at least a year.
    You mean apple has been stealing for a while? So how come they keep suing samsung then?
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    and was mass populace that can't even work a doorknob when it comes to technology. My wife asked me the other day why I hates Apple so much. I told her I dont hate Apple at all, in fact, I think Apple products are nicely done. I just can't stand the Apple (iPhone) users that swear by the product and can't even tell you why.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    No duh. Basically almost everyone who uses a smartphone nowadays is really dumb, and can't seem to take a decent in focus picture
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    You mean apple has been stealing for a while? So how come they keep suing samsung then?
    They steal and sue each other all the time in tech industries. It's not really a big deal and doesn't mean anything.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast