Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    OK I have seen numerous threads about people discussing the differences about the Pre 2 and Pre 3 but honestly I can't actually decide between the two and it's driving me mad

I'll jump straight to it, here's what I use:

WiFi and data A LOT but I don't mind the browser that's fine.
    I do like some games, in fact pretty much all the ones available for the Pre to keep me sane on my train journeys.
    I do use navigation when I need to so can't not have this.
    Basic facebook (just to view chat if I need to, really don't care for facebook)
    Ability to take notes (App support, built in office?)

What I am absolutely concerned about:

Build quality (I cannot have it dying on me, do they both have hard glass?)
    My current phone has 3.5" but really do I need to care that the Pre 2 is 3.1"? I'll be down sizing.
    General stability, heard some problems with the Pre 3.
    Repair ability, whats the chances of personally repairing one? (digitiser breaking is my main fear)

Is the screen size and build quality worth the extra cash? (I'd love a Veer but they're not available in the UK! boo)

Bottom line, this will be my daily phone, used for everything for as long as it lasts. Please don't say "don't bother" because I definitely want WebOS back!

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Long3 View Post
    I do like some games, in fact pretty much all the ones available for the Pre to keep me sane on my train journeys.
    I assume you're talking about games currently available for Pre2 and Pre3 and not the Pre on 1.4.5...otherwise you might be disappointed with what doesn't carry over from webOS 1 to 2.
    I do use navigation when I need to so can't not have this.
    You can use Navit or the beta of nDrive. Navit is free and open source but I've found it's not as user friendly (I'm in the US). nDrive works and looks nice but you'll have to buy the maps which I don't believe they're updating anymore. I use nDrive though and really like it. GPS works great on Pre3...haven't tried the Pre2.
    Basic facebook (just to view chat if I need to, really don't care for facebook)
    The Facebook app for webOS is pretty worthless. It "works" but if I had to assign a completely made up functional percentage it would be 50%. QuickChat for Facebook is beautiful and works seamlessly and it perfect if all you want Facebook for is chat.
    Ability to take notes (App support, built in office?)
    webOS Ports made a great Enyo2 rewrite of the memos app called OWO Memos. Also, QuickOffice is built-in to webOS and while I wouldn't say it's a feature rich office suite it does open Microsoft Office file types.

Build quality (I cannot have it dying on me, do they both have hard glass?)
    My current phone has 3.5" but really do I need to care that the Pre 2 is 3.1"? I'll be down sizing.
    General stability, heard some problems with the Pre 3.
    Repair ability, whats the chances of personally repairing one? (digitiser breaking is my main fear)
    It's as good as you are to it. Slam open and closed the slider, don't use a screen protector, drop it, etc. and it will break just like any other cell phone out there. Just take care of it. You'll be able to repair the entire phone yourself. I guarantee it.
    Is the screen size and build quality worth the extra cash? (I'd love a Veer but they're not available in the UK! boo)
    I love the Pre3. Great phone. Great OS. Totally worth it. I had a Pre+ before it and then switched to a Galaxy Nexus for almost 2 years. Tiny screen to giant screen. Then I bought the Pre3. I haven't missed the screen ONCE of the GNex. Pre3 fits great in the hand, pocket, and the screen size is easy to read. Hopefully this helps your research.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  3.    #3  
    I assume you're talking about games currently available for Pre2 and Pre3 and not the Pre on 1.4.5...otherwise you might be disappointed with what doesn't carry over from webOS 1 to 2.
    Yeah sorry WebOS 2.0+. The transition from Pre 2 (what I can remember of it) to Pre 3. Games wise much isn't available but I hope most of them work for the Pre 3. Also can some touchpad games be down scaled to the Pre 3?

I am hoping to store the IPKs long term before they vanish.

You can use Navit or the beta of nDrive.

QuickChat for Facebook is beautiful and works seamlessly and it perfect if all you want Facebook for is chat.

OS Ports made a great Enyo2 rewrite of the memos app called OWO Memos. Also, QuickOffice is built-in to webOS and while I wouldn't say it's a feature rich office suite it does open Microsoft Office file types.
    Thanks very much, I'll note these down so I can download them.

It's as good as you are to it. Slam open and closed the slider, don't use a screen protector, drop it, etc. and it will break just like any other cell phone out there. Just take care of it. You'll be able to repair the entire phone yourself. I guarantee it.

Repair wise I can do basic soldering but parts are extremely rare. I'll just have to be extra careful with it. Can conflicting patches cause hardware issues? I don't think it could but wondering whether it may have had a knock on effect on my old Pres.

One other thing, where do most of the apps come from now? Is Preware already updated to download the feeds from the necessary sources? I'm bit rusty on all this stuff.

Thanks very much for your input helpful!

EDIT:
    Also due to the Pre 3 battery being not very widely available could I purchase this:
    CHARGER PORTABLE.
    Last edited by Michael Long3; 12/15/2013 at 03:16 PM.
    I mostly echo Alan's sentiments.

I've had both. The tradeoffs between the Pre 2 and 3 make it an awkward decision. Pre 2 edges out slightly in terms of stability (just slightly). But the Pre 3 is otherwise better hardware. Build quality between them is pretty similar, I think. Pretty solid.

If you browse a lot, I've found the Pre 3 an improvement. At roughly double the pixels, you just get more on the screen. It doesn't seem as transflective as the Pre 2, so daylight suffers a bit at low brightness in a way I never saw on the less than 3 Pres. It's larger footprint but slightly slimmer, so it still fits nicely in the pocket. Coming from a 3.5" device, it's probably what you're used to, but maybe higher density (480x800?).

Yes, there are some PDK games that never got migrated to the Pre 3. The few I keep for killing time (Angry Birds, Quell) work.

Agree nDrive beta is great for nav. Maps are from 2011 and cost though. Any nav solution will take a bit of work.

Picsel Smart Office is a great paid office app. Wish I could make it default! Opens just about any darn Office/PDF document, and much easier to get around in. It edits most docs, though I very rarely have. Just a lot easier to check documents on the go, I think. Pity the Dropbox connection stopped working.

As for battery, search the forums for the two Pre 3 battery threads. One is about batteries on eBay and we've mentioned a ~$10 USD/CAN knock-off sold from a store in Canada that folks are having good luck with. Or there's the Mugen for more money.

A pity the UK Pre 3 was 8 GB. Anyway, think you'll be okay either way, but I think the Pre 3 edges out with the extra pixels and AF camera.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    I mostly echo Alan's sentiments.

I've had both. The tradeoffs between the Pre 2 and 3 make it an awkward decision. Pre 2 edges out slightly in terms of stability (just slightly). But the Pre 3 is otherwise better hardware. Build quality between them is pretty similar, I think. Pretty solid.
    I had a Pre to before and the modem died on it but overall it was great quality compared to my Pre Plus (that thing had so much problems with me). Problem is because the Pre 2's modem went after a few months I questioned the build quality.

May have been bad luck?

If you browse a lot, I've found the Pre 3 an improvement. At roughly double the pixels, you just get more on the screen. It doesn't seem as transflective as the Pre 2, so daylight suffers a bit at low brightness in a way I never saw on the less than 3 Pres. It's larger footprint but slightly slimmer, so it still fits nicely in the pocket. Coming from a 3.5" device, it's probably what you're used to, but maybe higher density (480x800?).
    The thing I do is browse yeah I'm used to 320x480 165 PPI. So same as my current except the smaller screen.

Yes, there are some PDK games that never got migrated to the Pre 3. The few I keep for killing time (Angry Birds, Quell) work.
    Thats good to know. Least some games work at least thanks.

As for battery, search the forums for the two Pre 3 battery threads. One is about batteries on eBay and we've mentioned a ~$10 USD/CAN knock-off sold from a store in Canada that folks are having good luck with. Or there's the Mugen for more money.

A pity the UK Pre 3 was 8 GB. Anyway, think you'll be okay either way, but I think the Pre 3 edges out with the extra pixels and AF camera.
    Yeah I looked around and found that shop in Canada, apparently they ship to the UK so that's good. Plus the price is much better than over here for the batteries.

I may as well go for the Pre 3 then; better get some batteries quickly before they are gone. Definitely getting that external battery charger link I posted that'll be a life saver.

Pre 3 is rare think that's why I'm so hesitant. Fortunately this shop I'm going to be buying from has 1 year warranty so the most they can do is give me a Pre 2 if this one breaks down

I just hope nothing serious goes on it like the screen because there's literally no digtizers for it.

Thanks for the help Pre 3 it'll be

EDIT: Oh also how come the Pre 3 can't use the original Pre-/Pre+/Pre2 batteries? Because some of the batteries listed on eBay say all round compatibility. What's the major difference between the old Palm batteries and these anyhow?
    EDIT: Oh also how come the Pre 3 can't use the original Pre-/Pre+/Pre2 batteries? Because some of the batteries listed on eBay say all round compatibility. What's the major difference between the old Palm batteries and these anyhow?
    Dimensions aswell as number & position of battery contacts are all different between Pre-/Pre+/Pre2 and Pre3 batteries. I too saw a lot of places selling batteries for the Palm produced Pres state they were compatible with the Pre3, but they're definately not.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Dimensions aswell as number & position of battery contacts are all different between Pre-/Pre+/Pre2 and Pre3 batteries. I too saw a lot of places selling batteries for the Palm produced Pres state they were compatible with the Pre3, but they're definately not.
    Ah right thanks for clearing that up. That's awful then if places mark it as compatible; isn't that potentially dangerous for the device? I mean couldn't that damage it. I'll have to be careful and double check the batteries when I buy them
    It would never fit - the only danger is to their reputation.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    They are so different in dimensions that I doubt anybody wouldn't notice. And even if somebody was stupid enough to try to put it in the device, he/she couldn't damage the contacts in the phone as the wrong battery is much too short to even touch these.

Pics:
    Pre3 battery (notice the 5 contacts on the narrow side of the battery)
    Pre-/Pre+/Pre2 battery (3 contacts on the wide side of the battery)
  10.    #10  
    Thanks I've been looking for an image of the batteries to compare to!

Also think it's the thought of using a non-OEM Pre battery. Just wondering though this item HERE I listed earlier, I wonder if you can just use that without the battery. I mean you can plug the Pre into the mains or USB on the computer without the battery.

Seems like a cheap alternative, strap it to the back and it would provide an apparent 2600MAH in fact could buy two and glue them to the back, wa la

Actually that isn't a bad idea!!!
    Those portable power packs are great, but the phones won't run without a battery, so they are only good for charging or keeping charged during heavy use.
  12.    #12  
    So really I could keep the same original battery and use the external ones forever?

I mean say if the original one could only hold 30% could I just rely on the portable power charger? I wouldn't mind sticking a few to the back. It would be cheaper than buying a mugen long term

I may purchase two as I get a 15% discount. Seems like great option
    The batteries from the place in Canada are only about $11. Well worth it. If you happen to get a dud, they'll replace it.
    Michael Long3 likes this.
  14.    #14  
    I'll buy both then

On a side note (not relevant) is there anyone still developing for the WebOS smartphones (Webos 1.x / 2.x)? Eventually I'd love to start creating stuff
    I'll buy both then

On a side note (not relevant) is there anyone still developing for the WebOS smartphones (Webos 1.x / 2.x)? Eventually I'd love to start creating stuff
    wow, you are definitely new to webOS.
    the key difference in the phones is the max data download speeds. if you have access to HSPA+ service, you'll want the Pre3. If you only have 3G, a Pre2 may suffice.

the catch with spare batteries is the lack of a spare charger to charge them. So i recommend the larger capacity Mugen battery as your one spare, then a portable external power supply.

i bought two of the knock offs, they worked fine. but i also had a 2nd Pre3 to charge them with.

no one is producing webOS phones. its an absolute tragedy that the best design is being allowed to fade into obsolescence. i curse acHe Pee at least once a week.
    cujoq37 and Michael Long3 like this.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    wow, you are definitely new to webOS.
    Haha not new, just I've been without WebOS for a year now. Before that I've owned a Pre-, Pre+, Pre 2 and another Pre. Needless to say I LOVE WebOS and that's why I'm coming back

I meant is anyone still developing for it; people like you guys etc not the big 'uns.

I'm stuck with 3G, that's fast enough for me. Thanks for the advice with the batteries. Well I used to just swap the batteries over and charge them so I'll probably stick with that route too?

I'm gutted that HP ditched WebOS too, it's amazing. Right now I'm actually running a recovery software to see if I can pick up some left over IPKs I had for backups many years ago (old HDD hasn't been used). So fingers crossed I can pick some stuff up
    Haha not new, just I've been without WebOS for a year now. Before that I've owned a Pre-, Pre+, Pre 2 and another Pre. Needless to say I LOVE WebOS and that's why I'm coming back

I meant is anyone still developing for it; people like you guys etc not the big 'uns.

I'm stuck with 3G, that's fast enough for me. Thanks for the advice with the batteries. Well I used to just swap the batteries over and charge them so I'll probably stick with that route too?

I'm gutted that HP ditched WebOS too, it's amazing. Right now I'm actually running a recovery software to see if I can pick up some left over IPKs I had for backups many years ago (old HDD hasn't been used). So fingers crossed I can pick some stuff up
    ok im with ya now....didnt read that right the first time, sorry! theres a tiny bit of developing FOR, but not developing OF. you can find stuff in the catalog still, but Preware is where youll find most supported apps n patches.

if you dont have "faux-G" H+ service, you may choose like me and stay with the Pre2.

i "went all-in" on the Pre3, bought a mugen, 2 knockoffs, and a 2nd used Pre3 to act as charger and spareparts donor. after two mos. of hating poor high speed coverage (it was on 2G more often than not) i wenr back to a cdma 3G Pre2. ive got ten batteriesand a half dozen chargers of all types and 3 spare phones for that model.

i tried a universal battery charger that touches the contacts. it melted one of my batteries. so i dont recommend those. so it only charges in the phone itself. that limits how many batteries to bother buying and makes the external power pack a smarter accessory. it also kind of turns the Pre3 into a wired phone, in that you are always looking to p!ug it in to keep a battery on charge.

i understand your frustration though. there isn't a "single answer" to the"which Pre?" question. any model is a choice of sacrificing one perk for another. my older threads here definitely illustrate my bouts of madness from dealing with the uphill battle to stay with webOS.
    cracked screen Pre3s make good but pricey spare batt chargers. hehe
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/16/2013 at 02:00 PM.
  18.    #18  
    The only few WebOS devices left are on eBay, there's even fewer faulty ones! It's gutting. I may have to look further afield. Sellers in the states have some Pres available so guess I may have to consider that in future if mine goes bust.

3G only for me, anything else is too expensive (boo!). But yes about the Pre from my experience of buying second hand Pre's I will never touch anything "used" again. The place I'm buying it from as it listed as A grade (as new) so that's all I'll buy.

But yeah Pre 2s seem just as rare as Pre 3s over here, so I'll be in the same position if one died anyway that said Touchpads are on the high, loads of them on eBay
    Maybe a Touchpad the year after?

So plan is:

HP Pre 3
    Mugen / Knock battery (spare for when original goes)
    External power pack (x2? maybe)

Pre aside about this eBay seller HERE has been selling HP Pre 3s for a long time, makes you wonder doesn't it? are there knock off Pre 3s? How on earth can one seller be selling so many. I remember those selling years ago; something's fishy there.
    I'll buy both then

Head on over to pivotce.com and search for Dev Highlight to see some (def not all) of the current webOS devs.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    The only few WebOS devices left are on eBay, there's even fewer faulty ones! It's gutting. I may have to look further afield. Sellers in the states have some Pres available so guess I may have to consider that in future if mine goes bust.

3G only for me, anything else is too expensive (boo!). But yes about the Pre from my experience of buying second hand Pre's I will never touch anything "used" again. The place I'm buying it from as it listed as A grade (as new) so that's all I'll buy.

But yeah Pre 2s seem just as rare as Pre 3s over here, so I'll be in the same position if one died anyway that said Touchpads are on the high, loads of them on eBay
    Maybe a Touchpad the year after?

So plan is:

HP Pre 3
    Mugen / Knock battery (spare for when original goes)
    External power pack (x2? maybe)

Pre aside about this eBay seller HERE has been selling HP Pre 3s for a long time, makes you wonder doesn't it? are there knock off Pre 3s? How on earth can one seller be selling so many. I remember those selling years ago; something's fishy there.
    one external pack will recharge a phone batt 4x. my friend uses one with her galaxy s4. but she has a purse with her to keep that brick on hand so its not that inconvenient for her.

but i carry a spare batt in my pocket always for a quick swap. well not that quick with the slow Pre2 bootup time. haha (that's another Pre3 perk, faster bootup.)

Demon in UK has been selling a while yes, his sales history is a great indicator for their value. ive heard they have a lot of them still. must have bought all of hp's UK supply when they were discontinued. i may get another some day just to have one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast